• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: parts for old lathe

Very similar body lines to the Delta 46-230

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I think that you have a Delta model 955 Double Duty lathe. The ones that I have found look very similar except the spindle is unthreaded. Yours is either a later model or has been modified. If you look at the tailstock in this link, you will see that the live centre has been attached to the ram with grub screws. If the lathe were mine, I would either make a new ram with a taper or ream out a taper into the existing ram. Otherwise, as Leo points out, finding a centre that will work will be very expensive. The lathe below has been shortened from it's original size due to damage.

I don't know for sure, but suspect that the tailstock is bolted down as yours is and not a "left handed one". I have seen these before and although a little awkward, the user usually just leaves the wrench on the bolt, reaching around to adjust the location.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=13694

Click image for larger version  Name:	13694-D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	1325459 Click image for larger version  Name:	13694-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	1325460
      Last edited by tool fan; 04-07-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Extending the tailstock ram did make the hole deeper. Now it reaches 3.5" / 9cm.

I took off the crank and the end of the tail stock is solid metal. Since I can't measure the other end to determine a taper I'm assuming it must be a straight shank.

No the pictures aren't flipped.

Yes, the tool rest says Delta, looks like DDL12.

Does the right handed / left handed orientation matter if you're just turning spindles? This setup would be better for me and my space. From Leo's previous photo, it seems like setting it up for right handers only matters if trying to do bowls where's your having to turn into the piece.

But I wish I hadn't bothered. Was trying to save money and bought a whole bunch of hassle. Not happy that it's missing two key parts. Lack of experience made me not check on that.

I know more than those that haven't used tools but I'm by no means an expert and am really not in a position to try and customize parts to make this work. Can't rightly sell it without noting it's not complete, but maybe someone else would like it as a project.
        Last edited by Michael_M; 04-07-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

If you want to turn from the backside, the motor will need to spin in clockwise. If I lived closer, I would be happy to take this on as a project. I've made lots of tailstock rams for Beaver lathes and am sure I could make one with a taper for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Delta1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.4 KB ID:	1325431
            You can chuckle Leo, but if you stand on the other side - how do you adjust the tailstock? You'd have to reach right over, or go around to this side again, to access the nut.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Delta2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	1325432
            I can't blow the picture up enough, but does the writing on the toolrest (immediately above the stem) say "DELTA"?
            Cheers, Vann.
            That be exactly like the Delta that is shown, also on most lathes the levers on the tailstock are all on the backside, I agree not the easiest place to get loosen and fasten the tailstock, but if you have to do this often, leave a wrench on the nut and you can reach over top to loosen/tighten.

I wonder if the banjo is original to that lathe, as the early lathes had the banjo fasten and loosen with a bolt and wrench, when they changed that they did that to both the banjo and the tailstock as well.

If you look at the lathe Frank posted, you can see (I think)that is already has the new fastening of the tailstock while the banjo still has the wrench used to do that.
            Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-07-2021, 01:27 PM.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Ok lets get back to the basics, first can you remove the spur off the head stock spindle. If so is it threaded all the way to the end, and is there a hole in the end of the head stock spindle...post pictures of the bare spindle.

If its 3/4" 16 thread this spur (Item 03J7208 for $33.50) from Lee Valley may work assuming both are right hand thread.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=03J7208

For your tail stock what is the diameter of the hole at the end of the spindle. Morse taper 1 is close to 1/2" on the large end and about 3/8" on the small end. If you have a set of drill bits pick one that's just slides in the hole. Holding the bit in your hand see how far you can gently push the bit into the bore. If the bore is tapered the bit will bottom out long before reaching the end of the hole. If you find the bore is tapered try about a 3/8" drill bit it should reach the bore end or very close to it.

If the hole is about 3/4" then it could be MT2, in this case it would taper to about 5/8" at the bottom of the bore, in this case repeat the above but use something about 3/4" and 5/8" in diameter. Post back if its tapered or a straight bore and actual size of the bore.

If the head stock spindle is hollow do the above to see if its tapered.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_M View Post
                Extending the tailstock ram did make the hole deeper. Now it reaches 3.5" / 9cm.

I took off the crank and the end of the tail stock is solid metal. Since I can't measure the other end to determine a taper I'm assuming it must be a straight shank.

No the pictures aren't flipped.

Yes, the tool rest says Delta, looks like DDL12.

Does the right handed / left handed orientation matter if you're just turning spindles? This setup would be better for me and my space. From Leo's previous photo, it seems like setting it up for right handers only matters if trying to do bowls where's your having to turn into the piece.

But I wish I hadn't bothered. Was trying to save money and bought a whole bunch of hassle. Not happy that it's missing two key parts. Lack of experience made me not check on that.

I know more than those that haven't used tools but I'm by no means an expert and am really not in a position to try and customize parts to make this work. Can't rightly sell it without noting it's not complete, but maybe someone else would like it as a project.
                Mike can you use a dowel or something like that, what fits the tailstock opening and see if it goes all the way in there, like if there is a taper in it, you would be able to tell I'd think.

As for the orientation of the lathe, you would be best of to have it the way it is designed to be used, also the spur drive works that way, and I assume the motor is rotating for that direction.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you learned a bunch already and just take your time to address on problem at the time, there are ways to do this I'm sure.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I found a manual for your lathe Driver2Pdf (vintagemachinery.org)

Comment

I removed the spur from the head stock spindle. It is threaded all the way to the end. Measures 1/2". See photo.

Took out my drill bits and can confirm there is a taper in the tail. The opening is 1/2" but I can insert a 1/4" bit that goes as far as a small stick I have been using to measure the depth.

Thanks for the manual link.

Comment

For about $20 you can buy a MT1 live center from Busy Bee there's even a store close to you in London.

I'm not clear on the head stock, are you saying it has a 1/2" hole in the spindle or is the spindle 1/2" in diameter. If there's a 1/2" inch hole is it tapered so that a MT 1 spur could be used?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Smith View Post
                        I'm not clear on the head stock, are you saying it has a 1/2" hole in the spindle or is the spindle 1/2" in diameter. If there's a 1/2" inch hole is it tapered so that a MT 1 spur could be used?
                        The hole is 1/2" diameter. When it is extended completely it has a depth of 3.5".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_M View Post

The hole is 1/2" diameter. When it is extended completely it has a depth of 3.5".
                          It sure sounds like an MT1 taper in the tailstock. If you are unsure, take the tailstock to the Busy Bee store and see how the taper fits. You still need a better spur drive for the headstock. You either need to get a center point for the one that you have or find one that will fit your headstock spindle.

Comment

You missed read this part

"I'm not clear on the head stock, are you saying it has a 1/2" hole in the spindle or is the spindle 1/2" in diameter. If there's a 1/2" inch hole is it tapered so that a MT 1 spur could be used?"

Your giving me the info for the tail stock, and that sure fits with it having a MT1. Now we need to figure out what size your head stock spindle is and whether it has a tapered hole or is a solid shaft.

I'm with Rory bring your tail stock to Busy Bee if you travel to London and try a MT1 live center for fit. You could also bring the head stock or whole lath for that matter with you and I'm sure someone could help get this sorted out.

Paul

Comment

For the tail stock locking nut you could bend or weld a wrench shaped something like these wrenches for easier access.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Smith View Post
                                You're giving me the info for the tail stock, and that sure fits with it having a MT1. Now we need to figure out what size your head stock spindle is and whether it has a tapered hole or is a solid shaft.
                                My 3:12pm reply yesterday indicated that the headstock spindle is solid and measures at 1/2" diameter as pictured. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X