Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin PK Sliding Tables.

Hi PK owners out there. I have a query.

But first some background. I bought my PK (PKA 800 of 1945) in 2015. It came with two mitres - and it soon became apparent it had some accessories from a second PK (the second being a 1955 machine). Originally PKA 800 was not supplied with an extension for the sliding table - but when it came to me it had an extension table (just the table - no stand, no long fence). I made up a box for the extension and put it aside (no room in my garage workshop for the extension). However, recently I managed to pick up a PK sliding table extension complete (extension, stand with angle, long fence, and pivot for same).

When I tried the long fence I found the pivot wouldn't screw into my sliding table. the pivot has a 5/8" BSW 11tpi thread, while my table only has a 9/16" BSW 12tpi tapped hole .

Similarly, the main mitre pivot pin on mine wouldn't stay in the pivot hole. Initially I thought the thread had stripped. But when I tried the pivot pin of another PK (the one I got the extension pieces from), it screwed in perfectly. So I measured my mitre pivot pin as being 9/16" BSW 12 tpi, while the hole in my table has a 5/8" BSW 11tpi tapped hole.

No, I didn't put the wrong pin in the wrong hole .

However, IIRC Jack has said the mitre pivot hole is 1/2" BSW (12tpi) on his. So there seem to be a whole bunch of wrong size holes in my sliding table. Here's what I've got:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PK 800.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1326863

Blue circles indicate 1/2" BSW (12 tpi) threaded holes;
    Yellow circles indicate 9/16" BSW (12 tpi) threaded holes; and
    Red circles indicate 5/8" BSW (11 tpi) threaded holes.

I believe the red holes should be 1/2" BSW (blue), and the yellow holes should be 5/8" BSW (red). I've spoken with Rob Brown (Australia) and that's what he's got on both his old PK (PKA 390 of 1937) and his newer PK (PK 1892 of 1956).

Can I ask if anyone else has anything different?

Cheers, Vann.

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wadkin PK Sliding Tables.

I’m out of the country but will check mine when I get back and let you know what I find.
    J Vann likes this.

Comment

Over the weekend I watched Jack Forsberg's great Youtube video on the Wadkin PK features.

Using the picture of mine, I've marked up the holes in his:

Name:	PKA 800 table2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	980.5 KB
ID:	1327125

Red circles indicate 5/8" BSW (11 tpi) threaded holes; and
      Green circles indicate preset holes for when main mitre is in the second (lower) position.

His has the same hole sizes as Rob Brown's two machines. But in addition, he has an extra 1/2" BSW tapped hole at the very bottom (heavy blue circle to the left of the filler strip). Like mine he also has an extra preset hole (green circle and arrow - LH side), and unlike mine his has a further preset hole (green circle and arrow - top left), which I believe neither of Rob's machines has.

On closer examination of mine, I find the small hole at the bottom is actually a 1/2" BSW tapped hole that was (until yesterday) full of gunk. Now I too can screw in a handle like Jack does.

Name:	Jack's table.png
Views:	158
Size:	974.4 KB
ID:	1327126
      Jack demonstrating his sliding table.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

The half inch 12 BSW that Jack is threading the handle into is supposed to have a square head bolt from the bottom as a table sliding StopScrew. Here is a picture of my top.

The two yellow circles are 1/2-12 BSW. The three between the 2 arc blue lines are 1/2-12 BSW. And the big blue Circle is 9/16–12 UNF. Obviously somebody has changed this one at some point. One thing I do not have is the pin location for the back quadrant position.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE941B87-471A-4221-A603-2AAD9BB91EE6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,011.4 KB ID:	1327182
        Last edited by Matt Matt; 04-20-2021, 01:36 PM.
        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Thank you Matt Matt. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
          ...And the big blue Circle is 9/16–12 UNF. Obviously somebody has changed this one at some point...
          Yes, tapping out 1/2" 12tpi BSW to 9/16" 12tpi BSW or UNC is an obvious solution once the original thread gets worn. It's a pity the original owner of mine didn't think of that before boring mine out to 5/8" 11 tpi BSW .

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
          ...One thing I do not have is the pin location for the back quadrant position.
          That seems to be quite rare. Apart from Jack's, mine is the only PK I've seen with that pin hole (I've not researched far yet). Even rarer is the 45degree pin hole for the back position. Only Jack has that - so far.

Can I ask what thread you have in those two tapped holes bottom right? I believe these should be 5/8" 11tpi, but mine are only 9/16" 12tpi.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Hi Matt and Vann,

The restoration of my table saw PKA is goiing well, should I say slow... The bolt paturn on my sliding table seem diffrent form yours, however the holds are 1/2'' BSW 12tpi. I have a question could you tell me what the pourpose of the holds on the right?

Cheers Guy's

Alain

Comment

Originally posted by AR Woodwork View Post
              ...I have a question could you tell me what the pourpose of the holds on the right?

Cheers Guy's

Alain
              Hi Alain. I assume you're asking about the two holes, bottom right (marked with yellow circles in my first post, and unmarked in Matt Matt's photo)?

These are for the pivot pin for the long fence that comes with the sliding table extension (an optional extra).

I'm assuming they're not 1/2" on yours. Do you know if they're 9/16" 11tpi or 5/8" 10tpi?

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Like this:

Name:	PKA 805.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	960.3 KB
ID:	1328274

Which, unfortunately, doesn't have the pivot pin in place.

But this one does:

Name:	PK 1915 fence.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	1328275

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Hi Vann and thanks for the answer,

See below photo, I have circles the hold I want to indentify and it not for sacrificial wood peice, I don't think so... Those hols are for taper heads screws. Am also looking for a quadrant, would you know where I could find one?

Cheers Alain

Comment

...I have circles the hold I want to indentify and it not for sacrificial wood peice, I don't think so... Those hols are for taper heads screws...
                    Hi Alain. Your machine, PKA 196, is a Generation 1 machine. From 1938 the Generation 2 PKs came out - with wooden lips where you have those countersunk holes. I have no idea what those holes are for - but they're not a previous owner's modification, as wallace's PKA 115 (also a Generation 1 machine) also has those holes.

...Am also looking for a quadrant, would you know where I could find one?...
                    A quadrant? Is that what Wadkin call a 'mitre' or a 'protractor'? Matt matt was involved with the casting and machining of a batch of mitres a year or two back. I'm sure they were all pre-ordered. I don't know if he's considering a second batch - as it's all gone quiet here on the forum (I think they're all on Instantgratification).

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Hi Vann,

Thanks for the reply it still a mystery... I will continu my investigation. I have try to contact Matt to see if he still have he would be willing to sale. Those are the quadrant and protractor I would lie to find.

Thanks

Alain

Comment

Been working on house and shop. Lots of rework. Just pulled the right garage door to replace with a jack style wadkin temple door. The king stud under the header is rotted out so I am jacking up the header today. Progress on the pk has been a snail's pace at best. Will be casting quadrants by summer's end. But need new shop back on line first. I have not had a chance to look at the table details much as of yet. Mine is 1956.

Comment

This is the sliding table off PK 1857.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PK 1857 table.jpg Views:	0 Size:	873.1 KB ID:	1329748
                          Red circles indicate 5/8" BSW (11 tpi) threaded holes; and
                          Black arrows indicate preset holes for the main mitre. The circle marked 'A1' is the pivot point for the double mitre. The circle marked 'A2' is the pivot point for the double mitre when located in the secondary (lower) position. Note that one is 5/8" BSW while the other is 1/2" BSW (the latter being the original size for both I believe).

I guess the owner only ever used the upper pivot hole as the mitre pivot pin is 5/8" BSW.

Originally posted by gdtrfg View Post
                          I’m out of the country but will check mine when I get back and let you know what I find.
                          If that offer is still on the table gdtrfg, I'm interested.

Originally posted by Matt Matt
                          The half inch 12 BSW that Jack is threading the handle into is supposed to have a square head bolt from the bottom as a table sliding StopScrew...
                          Interesting. Mine is missing - but I notice that PK 1857 has a square head stop bolt there. I'll have to go look through my bits and pieces...

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Anyway, I want to be able to (eventually) fit the sliding table extension WITH fence, to my saw.

I could tap the offending 9/16" BSW holes out to 5/8" BSW - but with one being 12tpi and the other 11tpi it going to have to cut a new thread. And with the difference in diameter being 1/16" (1.6mm) = 1/32" either side - part of the old thread will most likely remain, weakening the new thread. And as the number of bastardised holes in my table (and PK 1857's table) show, threads in cast iron are vulnerable at the best of times.

So I decided a new pin would be a better solution - made to fit the existing 9/16" BSW thread in the table. A friend offered to make one up for me - out of an old bolt he had.

Name:	ESTFpivot1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	950.4 KB
ID:	1329903 Old 5/8" BSW pin top, new 9/16" BSW pin bottom.

The new pivot pin ready for a trial fitting on Saturday.

Name:	ESTFpivot2a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	840.7 KB
ID:	1329902

It's amazing what can be found hiding inside an old bolt . The pin head is 1 1/2" dia. so the old bolt must have been ~ 1 3/4" diameter.

And the finished product parted off and trial fitted yesterday.

Name:	ESTFpivot3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1329904

Name:	ESTFpivot4.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1329905
                            And that's only half the fence (it's about 3' long). Then on top goes a ruler bar that's 7' long!!

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Your doing good progress Vann, it will look nice when finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X