Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

    Happy Friday All!

    I recently acquired a Jet-8 Drill Press in exchange for some help i gave someone. The thing works. It turns on and does what it is supposed to do, the press itself is a little sticky but I am sure that is curable.

    However the chuck is stuck. Or seized up?! Regardless I can not get the chuck open to put in different bits. Looking for some advice on how to either:

    A: work with the one that is in there now
    B: replace it with a new chuck if at all possible.

    To be honest I've not yet looked too far into my options. Trying to find any info on this unit is proving to be a chore. The videos i have watched so far of trying to change a chuck on newer drill presses looks super easy. However. This unit is old and doesn't seem to have that slot / key system to release the chuck? So i am betting to get a new chuck put on this will likely be a chore?

    Any advice guidance on where to start here is welcome.

    Here are a few photos.








    oh and here a few snaps of the pulley. Seems to be a few chips out of them there. How problematic is that?


    ​​​​​​​
    https://therecordingrebels.com/
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

    I would get a tin can and fill partially with diesel fuel and then lower the drill chuck into the diesel fuel and let it sit for day or so submerged , diesel fuel does work well for softening up crud and oil/grease and rust that's in there probably.

    After a day or so try to wiggle the chuck back and forth to loosen it up, maybe it will take a bit longer but it should work to do it.

    Oh ja the pulleys are a bit hard on the V-belt but should still work if they are just small chunks out of it
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-15-2021, 05:01 PM.
    WhiskeyJack77 likes this.

    Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

      Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
      I would get a tin can and fill partially with diesel fuel and then lower the drill chuck into the diesel fuel and let it sit for day or so submerged , diesel fuel does work well for softening up crud and oil/grease and rust that's in there probably.

      After a day or so try to wiggle the chuck back and forth to loosen it up, maybe it will take a bit longer but it should work to do it.

      Oh ja the pulleys are a bit hard on the V-belt but should still work if they are just small chunks out of it
      I can try that i suppose. Just regular old diesel you'd get from a pump at a gas station?
      https://therecordingrebels.com/

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

        I agree with Leo soak the chuck and see if it will free up, some people swear by Acetone and Trans Fluid. Personally Id remove it and take it apart for cleaning and lube.
        Those are well made nice presses , I had one for awhile. Dont break anything because parts may be very hard to get.
        People have fixed those pulleys with Epoxy with good results.
        WhiskeyJack77 likes this.
        • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

          Originally posted by redlee View Post
          Personally Id remove it . . . ..
          This makes the most sense however i am not seeing any easy way of removing the chuck. I think if i knew how to do that that may solve a whole bunch of problems. If you could spot anything in any of the photos that might be a tell tale sign of astarting point or step one to removing the chuck that would be a huge help!!!
          https://therecordingrebels.com/

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

            There are wedges made specifically for removing chucks. They are placed on opposite sides of the arbor just above the chuck and tapped until the chuck is forced out. They look
            like this.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.48.36 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	1345352
            Attached Files

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

              Originally posted by tool fan View Post
              There are wedges made specifically for removing chucks. They are placed on opposite sides of the arbor just above the chuck and tapped until the chuck is forced out. They look
              like this.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.48.36 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	1345352
              Here is a picture that I found on the internet that shows what Rory is describing above. Put some rags on the drill press table to catch the chuck when it pops off so that you don’t damage the chuck.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	B0B3F2AD-9BAC-4157-8CFC-6BAB8AF2393B.png
Views:	67
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1345444
              tool fan likes this.
              Mike @ Buck Lake

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

                Don't some chucks have a screw that needs to be removed prior to forcing them off (screwdriver goes in where the bit goes)? Or am I thinking hand-drills that aren't on a taper?

                I'd personally hammer it with Deep Creep every 15 minutes for a few hours before resorting to soaking in diesel... because I'd knock the tin of diesel fuel I had precariously balanced over onto something important, and also because there's a can on my bench...
                Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 10-17-2021, 05:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

                  Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
                  Don't some chucks have a screw that needs to be removed prior to forcing them off (screwdriver goes in where the bit goes)? Or am I thinking hand-drills that aren't on a taper?

                  I'd personally hammer it with Deep Creep every 15 minutes for a few hours before resorting to soaking in diesel... because I'd knock the tin of diesel fuel I had precariously balanced over onto something important, and also because there's a can on my bench...
                  Yes some do have screws, always good to check.
                  ThePracticalPeasant likes this.
                  • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

                    I only ever have found screws in chucks that are on handheld drills that are screwed onto the shaft of reversible drills, usual a lefthand screw in the right hand treaded chuck, I would think this is to prevent the chuck from being unscrewed by the reversible drill

                    Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Advice Guidance with JET-8 Drill Press.

                      Soaking the chuck is an excellent idea, you can also just tap it gently with a hammer which may help to get it loosened up as well.
                      WhiskeyJack77 likes this.
                      http://sawdustmaking.com

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...
                      Working...
                      X