Rockwell-Delta Radial Arm Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell-Delta Radial Arm Saw

First post here so I'm a total newbie to this site. Perhaps not so much a newbie to working with vintage power tools as I started working with them a half century ago when they were more like "current production" units!

I'm having to figure out what to do with some of my father's woodworking equipment now that he has passed. One of these pieces is a Rockwell-Delta radial arm saw. I believe it's a 12" saw. Dad used it first in his furniture manufacturing business (where I also used it as an employee back before youth labour laws existed, or so I often joked with him!) then when he retired the equipment went with him to his hobby shop where it served him in good stead for another 30+ years.

Being based in Ontario, Canada, I'm trying to figure out how to sell this thing by first trying to figure out its value then by trying to figure out what avenues work best for liquidating what now is surely "specialty" equipment. It has been stored and used indoors, comes with an 8 foot infeed roller table with length-setting flip-out stop blocks as well as an 8 foot outfeed table. Its condition is as one would expect from a piece of production equipment that was well cared for by an owner who counted on it being available to work. Not necessarily cosmetically perfect but necessarily fully functional.

I look forward to any advice this group might be able to provide in how I should proceed. For that I will thank you in advance.

If I've posted in the wrong place or broken the finer rules of etiquette please educate me (perhaps gently as this is my first post here).
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rockwell-Delta Radial Arm Saw

While not familiar with that particular machine its good old school quality and also a turn key set up with proper support on either side. I had a craftsman for many years and it didnt cut it. Finally just took it out and used a worm drive till I got an old school radial. some probably rough cross cut with compound mitre saws but ive never felt its best to use them for that.

Value or your saw is whoever is around to buy it at the time. For the most part the old radials have taken a bit price kicking. Not that they are not good machines as they are. Ive seen them from 150.00 on the low side and several times to the odd time 450.00 or more. Id prefer an old school saw like that over a new one. Not sure if newer ones have some sort of a blade stop on them. Old one I bought did have a brake on it.
    Last edited by Sawdust; 11-25-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

looks like a 14 inch saw or bigger not a 12 inch. radial arm saws hold there value poorly.

Comment

I thought 14 based on the hammer and also mine is 14 but a bit hard to tell from a photo. Good tool for cross cutting. Some brands get more I know ive seen some at 750.00 Tatry or one other brand maybe Omga.

Comment

Hi there NJR,
          Nice saw and it looks great to me. I prefer the Deltas to the Dewalts, and the older Deltas to the new ones. To get an idea what it is worth you need to understand exactly what you have; model no. HP, voltage, single or three phase, maximum blade size, condition, completeness, etc. The 8’ cutoff and outfeed table could be a nice extra, but they would need to be relatively easy to move to be saleable.
          Research the swap meet on this forum as well as your local craigslist and FB marketplace, but only compare to Dewalt or Delta saws of a similar blade size. If your blade is 14” or smaller and less than 3 HP for the motor then single phase would be more saleable (yours looks to be in the 12 to 14” range as noted by others^^^), whereas if the blade is over 16” and the motor is over 5HP it would be more desirable with three phase electrics. Big equipment goes to big shops with three phase power.
          Location and timelines both have a lot to do with pricing. Once you have figured out your selling price you could try listing on this site for a week or two before you list on CL or FB.
          Were I closer I would come and take a look.
          cheers,
          Mark

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

As nice as the saw is they are a hard sell theses days. This one has been listed here for a while https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...adio-alarm-saw and in the FB Marketplace a month or so ago there was another listed for over 6 weeks for a similar price before that add was removed. While both were 10 inch and yours is a 12 inch, it may or may not move any quicker. I hope you can find a new home for it.

Pete

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X