Rebuilding Old Machinery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Old Machinery

the old beaver lathe i just acquired will be getting the full treatment since i already have a lathe

if there is any interest, i will run this thread with regular updates on the rebuild, concentrating on various methods

it is a lathe but most of the stuff applies to any old power tool, so i feel the thread belongs in the powertool section

a lathe is also just about the simplest machine to rebuild there is, so its a good place to start for those interested in old equipment. the beaver is pretty simple and this one in particular is a real mess!!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Re: Rebuilding Old Machinery

it will be great to see a restoration of a lathe. we all like pics so can you post a pic of how bad it looks.

jack

jack
    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

I'll be looking forward to you thread Steve. I had planed on taking my lathe apart this spring and replacing bearings, belt and any other parts that need attention before repainting it, mine is still in working order though, so it doesn't look that bad now.
      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

no problem, ive done a 3400 before but without any regard to cosmetics, this one i'm aiming towards "looks like new"

the first step is obvious, a complete dissassembly and cleaning of all of the parts

the 3400 lathe is pretty simple to take apart, a set screw in the retaining collar and one in the pulley(in the smallest section of the 4 speed pulley), allen keys will do the job easily, just pry or blowout any debris so that the allen key seats properly. removal of the retainer maybe be tough if the threads are buggered but it WILL come off

the spindle is then removed by a few solid hits from the outboard side, usually the inner bearing will come with it. the pulley itself is usually the toughest to break loose, its aluminum and has a key, but dont be afraid to hit the spindle with the outer retainer still threaded flush to the very end of the spindle to protect the threads. note that its a left hand thread

the outboard bearing will stay in the housing and is removed with a punch going "outboard"

the inboard bearing is removed from the spindle with a few taps, it should come off easily

this lathe is a very old callander foundry beaver 3400 and has an mt2 headstock adaptor that was really tough to remove from the spindle, the rockwells just had a solid spindle threaded for the spur drive and faceplates, other than that the lathes are identical as far as i know thus far

pictures up to now will follow shortly, batteries are dead!!. note that the belt has been removed, i just cut it off

pics added, the most complicated mechnical stuff is done!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by stevem; 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM.
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

disassembling a Morse Taper

a morse taper is a method of joining two pieces of machinery parts that can accomadate large turning forces and later be easily taped apart(haha)

it consists of two precisely machined cones in the parts that fit inside one another, so there's a male and female, lathes generally have them in the headstock and tailstock to add various accessories like cup centers, live centers and drive centers. there are various standard sizes, small power tools will be described as having an MT1 or MT2 in a shaft for example.. the beaver/rockwell lathe usually has an MT1 in the tailstock and the older models had an MT2 in the headstock

getting the MT2 apart in this old lathe was a real big problem, i tried heat, solvents etc etc, a vise and a hammer, nothing. it had been stuck in there for over 40 years

so it was brute force!!

i had an old steel pulley that the shoulder of the spindle would sit on but the adaptor would fit through, a suitable deep socket would work too, then an old cold chisel with a blunt end to slide into the shaft and sit on the end of the adaptor and a 15 lb sledge hammer, all sitting on the concrete floor. one good wack, and its done

the moral of the story? take the time to do a good setup, followed by a good wack!!
          Attached Files
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

i should add a couple of points

first im not a mechanic, machinist or anything like that and my tools are not much different than most of us already have, no huge presses, metal lathes etc etc. woodworking tools are pretty simple things compared to cars for example which many of us have fixed over the years

my tool kit consists of the following:

a decent socket set, mines just a crappy tire 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 drive set, pretty basic

a decent set of combination wrenches, imperial is the most widely used, metric is rare on older stuff except european and really old british stuff that may use whitworth

a couple of good adjustable wrenches and pipe wrenches

a good set of allen keys

i took this lathe apart witha couple of allen keys, a pipe wrench and an adjustable

a hammer and a few punches, a metal working vise is somewhat useful, propane torch

i havent used it yet on this project, but a wheel puller is handy, mines just a PA cheapie

a small drill press will work well as a small press for bearings and such

PATIENCE!! sometimes brute force works, patience works even better

next post deals with buggered up threads(the machine type)
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Very interesting post Steve, keep it going as we are on the edge of the seat here to see how the story "turns" out. (he he)
              Robert.
              If you can't grow it, catch it, or build it, what makes you think you need it?

Comment

well this thing arrived sight unseen, so i wasnt expecting much

so far, the only real problem has been the stuck morse taper fitting(solved) and the bearings are completely worn out, well and the belt too.

but bearings are easy, they are F A G 6204 and F A G 6205, available at any bearing supply place for about 12 bucks each and they are a snug tap in fit on both the spindle and housing, so the're easy

i spent a good 2 hours getting the outboard retainer threaded back onto the spindle, the threads on the spindle were a bit worn probably from having outboard faceplates crossthreaded or a set screw in the faceplate not loosened enough. its a left hand thread, so a die is not easy or cheap to find. so some judicious filing, lots of lube and gentle tightening then loosening and more lube and cleaning, more tightening and loosening, the threads are clean and the retainer spins on easily

the tailstock was easy, again the morse taper fitting was stuck, its an mt1 with a dead center mounted in it and of course the handwheel hadnt been removed from the spindle for years, so gentle persuasion, lube and some back and forth work and the spindle is out

now its just cleanup and paint the main castings, buff up the shiny bits, make sure the machined surfaces are smooth and reassembly. then on the motor(havent tried it yet) but motors are pretty easy
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Picture.jpgive ordered the bearings, one of them is not in stock across the road, will be here in 48 hrs

so on to other stuff

cleaned the head stock and tailstock castings, first in hot soapy water then varsol, then a light sanding all over, just 150 grit, they are rough castings. cleaned all machined surfaces with 220 then steel wool, they will be masked off during painting, the main bed casting also

the motor that came with the lathe was kind of rough, pulled the pulley, rewired it properly, has some runout, so i'll check the bearings and startswitch

the tailstock was in good condition, just cleaned the threads really well, made a new washer for the lock bolt(flat on one side to engage the spindle) and its ready for paint

here's a pic of all that i got, except i did get 3 faceplates, 2 inboard and one outboard and a set of ct turning tools

and no the husky was already ours, he's my supervisor, shoe destroyer and scrapwood chewer, loves walnut!!
                  Last edited by stevem; 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM.
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Most interesting Steve.

Note to moderator - once this thing is restored, it may be useful to add it to the tutorial section.

Comment

nothing interesting to report, just cleaning and sanding ready for paint

i have a colour, the closest apparently is a sico volcanic rock from rona

i'll just get an alkyd interior semigloss, some careful brushwork will save a lot of masking

we'll see how it looks afterward, really most of it is just rough cast iron not a car body

the missing bearing arrived today, 24 hour service, cant beat that
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                        the old beaver lathe i just acquired will be getting the full treatment since i already have a lathe
                        Great report, so far, Steve! But this sentence of yours puzzles me.

Is it getting the full treatment because you want to resell it? Or because you are in no rush since you have a functional lathe? Or because you've done it once before on the other lathe and now want to dial it up a notch?

...art

ps: why do the same colour, liven things up a bit! Royal purple with yellow trim! navy blue. Glossy black with red/gold flames! Oneway white to really confuse people! (have fun)
                        It's not about you.

Comment

I don't think you could have found a easier candidate for a
                          refurbish

Comment

art, its final home is yet to be determined, i wont keep both of course!! this machine was basically free and had a couple of faceplates and a set of turning tools with it so i couldnt turn it down!! one of them will be sold eventually

its considerably older than the one im using now, although they are identical in almost every way. this machines dates before the 1954 rockwell buyout of beaver

i also wanted something to experiment on with painting rather than tear apart one of my functioning machines

and yes wysong, a lathe is the easiest machine to start with for sure, especially a simple 4 speed belt drive
                            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Motor and Pulleys

the pulley in the headstock cameout when removing the spindle, the motor pulley was totally different. it was stuck solid. so out comes the puller, very useful and far better than pounding!!

even if the motor was toast, that 4 speed beaver pulley is not easily replaced. note the small socket under the puller mandrel, the mandrel is bigger than the motor shaft.

the motor shaft was badly scarred by a loose set screw, so a little filing and clean up the inside of the pulley with a 1/2 inch drill bit by hand not in a drill. its now a snug slip on fit. the headstock spindle and pulley got the same treatment. both pulleys have keyways in them but no key not even on the headstock, motor has no keyway

the motor had been wired with 14-2 household wire, so that came out. the wire installed now is a temporary one to check the motor, i always wire up a motor like this with 14-3 stranded wire, i strip the wire carefully then twist the strands, form a loop and solder the ends. always use a cable restraint were the cable exits the motor

ah hah, the motor works but does have some run out causing the start switch to rattle, so tear that down tomorrow, check the bearings and switch.
                              Attached Files
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Working...
                              X