New Stand for the Beaver Bandsaw and an Nice Shot of the Beaver Lodge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stand for the Beaver Bandsaw and an Nice Shot of the Beaver Lodge

the old 3300 is finally getting a suitable stand to replace the crappy tire special

4 beaver cast iron legs, some plywood scraps, add some ash or oak around the edges, laminate the top and sides, make a couple of doors

the stand is just screwed together right now, it'll get bolted up after the laminating is done

it'll look just like the saw and jointer stands

in the background is the bandsaw with its ct stand, scrollsaw, belt/disc sander and lathe behind the jointer
    Attached Files
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Re: New Stand for the Beaver Bandsaw and an Nice Shot of the Beaver Lodge

Looking good.

Where did you get the legs?

Any plans for infeed/outfeed tables?
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

the legs came some of the old beavers, they were available from beaver at that time
      ive got 4 sets of four, 3 short and 1 long set(on the scrollie)

no infeed/outfeed at this time, no space!! and a parks planer coming too

have to sell my ridgid tablesaw and dewalt planer first!!
      steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

I'm lookin' at that table saw extension - need one of those for my 3200!

Do you know if the tables for the 6201 will fit a 3200? (they look similar)

(Cabinet for the bandsaw looks good too, btw.)

Comment

i wish i had another, i dont know if the 6201 will fit or can be made to fit. tabledepth is the criticle issue and the height of the machined groove for the fence rods
          steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

sides and back are laminated and reassembled, top is made, its just plywood with white ash edges, ready for laminate

i'll be adding some reinforcement underneath later and have to figure out motor mounting, it can go under the saw or behind it on the top

the laminate is a 30 by 96 inch sheet of postform grade(the 30 wide stuff is easier to handle), one sheet will do the entire stand at a cost of 45 bucks. im using a can of spray adhesive this time instead of latex contact cement

if anybody wants pics on the laminating procedure, let me know, i have other pieces to do yet. i'll include my method of cutting up a large sheet of laminate in a small shop
            Attached Files
            steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

the top and the bottom shelf are laminated and the stand is semi assembled

the saw is in position, i decided to put the motor underneath again inside the cabinet, just have to cut a slot for the belt

under the saw are two pieces of old bed frame angle iron bolted using the saw bolts to stiffen the top

i did make the saw table larger a couple of years ago with some plywood, it can be seen in the first photo sort of. its bolted to the cast table using the existing fence rail bolt holes and countertop drawbolts. it too will be laminated to match and have the mitre guage slot cut in. the table extension was made the right size to accomadate a beaver tablesaw fence and rails, which i have

the saw/stand will be top heavy as is, for heavy resawing i'll engineer a couple of folding extensions that will also reach the floor. ive got a couple of 6 foot walnut 4inch chunks i need to resaw badly

next up is the motor mounting. since nobody seems to need the extra 3200 tablesaw motor bracket i have, i'll use it inside the cabinet somehow. an easily adjustable motor would be nice, then i can make the saw 2 speed for metal and wood cutting. the tablesaw motor mounting system can be adjusted easily for belt length and alignment, there is no room inside the bandsaw for two pulleys

btw, the spray adhesive/contact cement is great stuff for laminating lots of smaller pieces, sticks like s**t to a blanket!! smellier than the latex, less smelly than solvent stuff, dires in seconds, odour in the shop disappears in a few hours, dead easy to apply
              Attached Files
              Last edited by stevem; 12-19-2011, 07:19 AM.
              steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

stand looks good , but shouldn't the saw be closer to the right end of the table. I wouldn't want it that far away when working from the end.
                sigpic
                hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

That's a super stand, btw i realy like your bandsaw.

my method of cutting up a large sheet of laminate in a small shop
                  I have a 120 square feet place for work, so no place there for cut a 4x8 sheet except a mural saw. Tell me how you do your cut. We always learn from oder idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan @ Woodstock View Post
                    stand looks good , but shouldn't the saw be closer to the right end of the table. I wouldn't want it that far away when working from the end.
                    brian, the saw is mounted such that the edge of the extended table is even with the bench/cabinet top. the "footprint" of the saw is the same as the stand
                    steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by probus View Post
                      That's a super stand, btw i realy like your bandsaw.

I have a 120 square feet place for work, so no place there for cut a 4x8 sheet except a mural saw. Tell me how you do your cut. We always learn from oder idea.

i have a 3 by 7 foot assembly table, i spread the sheet out on that, then use a laminate trimmer to cut the sheet up using the table edges as a guide, clamping the sheet into position
                      steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

powering up is done, i'll post a pic later when the batteries are charged

i glued and screwed a big thick chunk of plywood (3 layers of 5/8 laminated together) to the left inside of the cabinet with a carefully drilled hole to hold the sleeve from the tablesaw mounting system. inside that sleeve is the pivot rod from the ts and the motor bracket slides on to it

the motor is very ridgid in side and twisting motion but pivots up and down easily allowing speed changes and the mount can be adjusted easily for belt alignment

add a couple of side panels and doors to the front and its done

then reengineer the extended top a little bit to make it easier to flatten to the cast top, add the fence rails and the fence, we'll see if the tablesaw fence can be adjusted for blade drift easily

btw, if anybody wants the old ct stand, come and get it
                        Last edited by stevem; 12-26-2011, 08:18 AM.
                        steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

a couple of pics, motor mounting and overall shot

the saw and stand does feel top heavy when rolling it around, i'll be making the bottom shelf a box and filling it with a bag of concrete

dont ask me why the motor bolts are so long!! the motor came like that, i'll just cut them off. the electrical system looks a little scary but is properly wired up, the switch will be mounted beside the door like the other cabinets

belt tensioning by gravity is not the best, the motor does recoil on startup so an adjustable tensioning bolt will be added some where(easy)

the table extension will get laminated and the beaver tablesaw fence added to it
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by stevem; 12-27-2011, 07:25 AM.
                          steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

the expanded top is complete. the top is the widest it can be without interfering with the tilt function and the correct depth for the beaver tablesaw fence/rails

the fence works perfectly and does have enough adjustment to counteract blade drift

i may cut out the mitre guage slot, i have a mg somewhere for it, never used it

on to making a couple of doors
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by stevem; 01-02-2012, 07:41 AM.
                            steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Working...
                            X