wadkins bursgreen 12" jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wadkins bursgreen 12" jointer

Today I went to look at a wadkins bursgreen 12" jointer mod #12bft. It is at least 20 years old and has been in dry storage for the last 15. It has some minor rust but in all looks like it is in good shape. At least it isn't missing any parts...as far as I can tell. Cannot start it up because it is 550 volts. The asking price is $300. I don't have 550 at my shop and I would have to support the floor under the beast (700lb) I have always wanted a 12" jointer I have a very old general 480 now. Does anyone know about or have one of these? And do you think it would be worth the trouble to convert it and tune it up.
    waffling in Montreal,

Peter

Re: wadkins bursgreen 12" jointer

I've never owned one, and most likely don't ever see myself having such a large jointer. However it's a 12" jointer from a very well respected manufacturer for $300. You're only a motor swap away from enjoying the beast, and you'd still be under half the retail value of something new.

If you're willing to take on the work to get it useable, the answer seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have lots of boards over 10" - 14" wide and would hate to have to rip them. Do you think it is as simple as putting in a different motor?

Comment

Well i've never laid eyes on the jointer you're talking about so i can't say that's all it would take. However if it were like every other jointer i have seen with a separate induction motor, then yes to make it useable in a residential enviroment you could just swap out the motor. That may also entail adapting the pulleys to the different motor. Of course I'm assuming every other aspect of the machine is in working condition.

Comment

I assume I would need a 220v motor that has the same hp?

Comment

These are built like tanks and will probably last for more generations to come.

If you have the space and the need,go for it,price is very attractive.

A 3hp 220v motor and a new switch,maybe some pulleys and your'e off.

my .02

andre

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess i will go for it.

Peter

Comment

If you can't find a motor to fit you may be able to get the existing one re-wound. It'll cost more but its a good alternative.

Comment

Insanely more, but it is an alternative.

Jarrett
                  (another electrician )

Comment

I have the very same jointer. Bought it last year with a three phase motor, and it is completely torn apart right now for a rebuild. It will be a fantastic machine. I bought a Leeson 3HP motor which bolted right into the base and am preparing a new Bird Shelix cutterhead to install in it next week, after paint is done.Thats a great price. I have seen good working single phase examples sell for $2,000 to $3,000. You will not regret buying it.
                    Regards Terry

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Spoke with the owner today looks like I will pick it up early in the new year.

Peter

Comment

Did this machine spend any time in the John Abbott College woodshop?
                        What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

Comment

As far as I know no connection. It has been in storage for at least 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                          X