Beaver Oil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaver Oil?

Just about ready to re-assemble the Beaver JS 2100 scroll saw and after cleaning out the old oil(kind of sludgy) in the "transmission" was wondering what everyone's idea of the best oil to refill it with. Synthetic? 20W50? SAE30?
    Any insights would be appreciated.
    Was going to just ask Stevem, but I know he is "getting up there" in post #'s, so I thought I would give everyone a chance to catch up.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Beaver Oil?

90 weight gear oil, CTC will have it $11.49 1L bottle
    sigpic
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

20 wt, non detergent oil, i believe that is what delta recommends for their scrollies

here's a manual, not much help though

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4865

bryan could be right too, but i posted the same query on owwm a while ago and i believe that the lighter stuff was recommended, i'll see if i can find my old thread there
      Last edited by stevem; 02-17-2012, 06:32 AM.
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

I have had the 20wt non detergent stuff recommended to me as well. Bought a liter of it at CT for cheap. (This was for the plain bearings in my 2hp electric motor. )

(For meshing gears maybe the 90 wt would be better? More "cling"?)

What's in there, bearings or gears?

Comment

Thanks to all,
          It is gears AND a sleeve bearing.
          I HAVE the manual and it is not much help for this.
          I was considering using some synthetic gear oil I use for my boat motors, the stuff is AMAZING. Just want to be certain it won't do the "old Girl" any harm.

Mike

Comment

20 w to splash up to lube the piston type parts , by looking at the parts diagram. Like an air compressor.
            sigpic
            hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Bryan,
              excellent point. I may try some synthetic 20 weight but not quite ready for that yet, so I will see what the JURY says.
              Thanks,
              Mike

Comment

90W gear oil is very thick and will eventually stink real bad. Most FWD cars today have the differential built into the transmission so I think ATF would be a good choice. This will eat up less power than the gear oil too.
                Last edited by Claude in Kitchener; 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM. Reason: SP
                Claude

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, great minds discuss ideas.”
                Admiral Hyman Rickover

Comment

Curious why you're so intent on using synthetic mike....? I can guarentee that the 2100 wasn't designed to use synthetic, and it's stood the test of time so far. This may be a case of fixing something that isn't broke....

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by J. Vibert View Post
                    Curious why you're so intent on using synthetic mike....? I can guarentee that the 2100 wasn't designed to use synthetic, and it's stood the test of time so far. This may be a case of fixing something that isn't broke....

Just my .02
                    Bingo, only use synthetic lubricants where they give a benefit that can't be obtained from conventional lubricants.

For a scroll saw, there will be no benefit to using a synthetic lubricant unless you want to use the saw at -50C...........Regards, Rod.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Not totally intent on using synthetic, just use on my boat and have noticed a huge difference in how it runs in all ranges/temperatures with less wear & tear. Also use it on all my fishing reels(yes I DO have too many) and also noticed a BIG difference.
                      Yes the 2100 with DINO oil has stood the test of time but I was thinking that it MAY even be better with synthetic....just my own thought and nothing factual.
                      So far lots of differing opinions...keep 'em coming. SOMEBODY is gonna think outside the box....just a matter of time.
                      Thanks,

Mike
                      Originally posted by J. Vibert View Post

Just my .02

Comment

Synthetic does have some advantages over conventional oils in certain applications.
                        For example the synthetics run cooler and disipate heat better.
                        They do not get thick at low temperatures like 90 weight.
                        Great for manual transmissions at 30 below zero.
                        Some of the semi tractor companies extend their warranties if synthetics are used in gearboxes.
                        They recognize the better lubrication.
                        Motorhome owners have noticed mileage increases and cooler running engines.
                        After a few oil changes usually had oil consumption go down.

However...
                        One fault they did find that if you had a leaky engine, it leaked worse.
                        If you lost oil past oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, seals etc, it usually got worse.

So if the seals and gasket/mating surfaces are weepy, it will probably get worse.
                        Sorry my message got long winded.

Regards, Gil

Comment

Gil,
                          no problem, get a little "windy" myself some times.
                          Good points on the weepage!

Mike

Originally posted by gilinvictoria View Post
                          Synthetic does have some advantages over conventional oils in certain applications.
                          For example the synthetics run cooler and disipate heat better.
                          They do not get thick at low temperatures like 90 weight.
                          Great for manual transmissions at 30 below zero.
                          Some of the semi tractor companies extend their warranties if synthetics are used in gearboxes.
                          They recognize the better lubrication.
                          Motorhome owners have noticed mileage increases and cooler running engines.
                          After a few oil changes usually had oil consumption go down.

However...
                          One fault they did find that if you had a leaky engine, it leaked worse.
                          If you lost oil past oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, seals etc, it usually got worse.

So if the seals and gasket/mating surfaces are weepy, it will probably get worse.
                          Sorry my message got long winded.

Regards, Gil

Comment

If you go into a industrial supply by EP 220 It is a synthetic gear oil that is specified in most machinery these days. Has a really long life.

Comment

mike

iinvestaged this years ago with delta when i was restoring a 40-440 scroll saw. the delta oil was 75.00 a half pint at that time.
                              he then told me it was sae10w non detergent light oil
                              gear oil 90 weight way to thick and heavy.

so get some 10w oil

Comment

Working...
                              X