3200 rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3200 rebuild

Honest to goodness. Another rebuild. Why do I do this to myself?

I found pristine-looking 3200 at a garage sale this morning. (also a bench grinder, polishing/grinding discs, Delta sharpener/grinder, machinist's vise, etc...) Just realized looking at the pictures now, but it's not Callandar Foundry, but Rockwell! Neat, explains why the serial number is so high. Also, the fence (been repaired in the past) and mitre gauge are there, just not pictured.

Edit: Adding in Steve's rebuild: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...blesaw-Rebuild

Barely fit into the Forester...

Kind of eccentric little stand for it...I will probably melt that copper pipe down once the foundry is operational.

Look at that hooge casting...nice.

Motor is a Hoover 1/3hp, will be replaced by the 3/4hp on the 6200.

The adjustment wheels feel smooth, but I discovered that there is some blade wobble, hopefully just a bearing replacement.

Other stuff I got...super happy about this find...guy was next to giving this stuff away. The vise I couldn't resist for $10, flips around for the other jaw set, but the grinder and polishing stuff I've been hesitating on buying for a while, no budget. Blessings in disguise!

Vise (made in China, but still heavy, seems decent quality) - $10

Bench grinder (probably also China, but seems decent) - $20

Delta 31-080 Belt/disc sander - $15

Box of polishing/grinding wheels/compound - $5
    Last edited by chris.trotter; 04-21-2012, 02:53 PM.

Re: 3200 rebuild

a 3200 at a yard sale?

you suck!!

nice looking saw, identical to my 2 1/2 saws

yes the base is a pretty amazing chunk of aluminum, makes up a heavy little saw with all of that cast iron underneath

did you get a fence and mitre guage? if not, i have extras except the fence needs a handle

complete motor mount with the brass belt tensioner

easy rebuild, done two of em
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Congrats Chriss these are nice finds for the price.

Andre

Comment

You mind me asking what you paid for the 3200...? Still trying to figure out what a "good" price is on one of these things...

Comment

Well the copper pipe is a lot more palatable than the bike handlebars I saw screwed directly onto the body of a similar saw. And at least the table matches your red "theme".
          Donna,
          Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Steve, yes, it has a fence and mitre gauge. I meant to ask actually - do you have a part number for the arbor bearings? Blade has a bit of wobble.

Sorry, I thought I put that in. At this point I had already bought all the prior stuff without haggling, but he wanted $100. I offered $60...he agreed. $60 is a steal.

I would consider $100 to be a good price if the saw is fully functional. Since I have to do the arbor bearings (and paint ), will probably end up around $80-90 all-in.

Donna, that's pretty messed up...esp. using screws for something like that. Ick.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.trotter View Post
              Sorry, I thought I put that in. At this point I had already bought all the prior stuff without haggling, but he wanted $100. I offered $60...he agreed. $60 is a steal.

I would consider $100 to be a good price if the saw is fully functional. Since I have to do the arbor bearings (and paint ), will probably end up around $80-90 all-in.
              I can understand why people would think that... For a $100 (assuming 100% functionality) you're getting a very solidly build little saw. However, since I've been paying attention, the sub $100 price range seems very common place. I've got the feeling the group is placing a higher value on this particular saw then what the market is revealing.

Nice grab at any rate... You going to go two tone red on this one...?..., maybe a racing stripe...?

Comment

I just have one question, where to you have the room to put all this stuff! I mean really, how big is your shop!
                Oh yeah I almost forgot,
                "To become an able and successful man in any profession, three things are necessary, nature, study and practice."Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

i have no idea what the bearing numbers are, and even if i did, that doesnt mean yours are the same.
                  they very likely are the same but sometimes dimensions of components change, the rockwell 37-220 jointer for example had two different shaft diameters over the years

just take the old ones to the bearing shop

btw, its easiest to change the bearings if you remove the arbour arm by loosening the big steel pin and disconnecting the elevation control rod. the control rod is removed by loosening the collar and turning the handle until its out of the arbour arm

the bearing/arbour assembly is held together with the drive pulley. the pulley is cast iron and its brittle so be gentle. use some heat rather than force if its tough to remove. the blade flange is brass, so its soft. use a vice to support it and tap the arbour out

the rest is easy, no real tips needed.
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Just did the arbor bearings on mine. They were original! 6203 was the number on them but as noted in other threads they are 17mm NOT 5/8". Be sure to take either the shaft or old bearings- even both when you go for new ones. I got ones that are sealed and I think the suffix was RR on the bearing. I will see if I can find the box. Good luck.
                    NOTE as Stevem has warned BE GENTLE with the pulley I broke mine!

Mike
                    [QUOTE=chris.trotter;405072]Steve, yes, it has a fence and mitre gauge. I meant to ask actually - do you have a part number for the arbor bearings? Blade has a bit of wobble.

Comment

a quick note on the drive pulley

the origanal cast iron pulley MUST be used. it is machined flat with a reduced diameter to match the inner race of the bearing. if you use a new pulley, it could rub against the outer bearing race.

there are other alternatives of course, like a suitable washer between the pulley and inner bearing race

remember the drive pulley holds the arbour/bearing assembly together

if you look at the manual:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1214

part number 8, is called "pulley collar" not just "pulley"

the origanal is machined on the bearing side

yes, i did break one of mine using a puller, i used heat and gentle pulling on the other two saws with success

if you break the pulley, you can use whats left as the collar and add a second pulley for the drive belt, the arbour is set up for twin pulleys/belts
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Gavin, just a 1.5 car garage, and frankly I'm getting concerned about next winter - might have to get real creative with moving things around to get a car back in there!

Steve, I was able to get the pulley off with little hassle after a good soak in WD-40, so disaster averted. I've been out of commission the last few days with a cold (always over a weekend! sheesh) and on-call work, so no further progress. Maybe tonight I'll be able to get those bearings pressed out.

Getting new bearings will be the biggest pain. The one local bearing shop never replied to my email, so not even sure if they are still functioning.

Jarrett, of course this will be red! Have to go buy more paint & primer, though. :( One of these days I'll get around to using the spray gun I have...as soon as I figure out how to properly clean it, and properly dilute the paint.

Comment

"getting new bearings will be the biggest pain"

its not painful at all, just go the nearest bearing supply place, its a common bearing and will likely be in stock

motion canada in sarnia was missing one bearing for my 3300 bandsaw, they had it the next morning at 7 am
                          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Well, what I meant was, I don't exactly have the convenience of just going to a local shop during the day - I have evenings/weekends, times when most of these places are closed. It's more of a hassle, especially when they don't respond to emails .

Comment

Chris,

Use Motion Canada's website and you can place an order and have them shipped. Here is info for guy I was dealing with, I just need to place my order

Robert Mann-Young
                              Mi MOTION CANADA - ON11
                              Motion Industries (Canada), Inc.
                              390 Bradwick Drive
                              Vaughan, Ontario L4K 2W4
                              TE 905.695.7878
                              FX 888.825.7554
                              Email: Robert.MannYoung@MotionCanada.com

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X