A Tale of Two Craftmaster Table Saws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Craftmaster Table Saws

briefly two craftmaster table saws, the tilting arbour belongs to jacques who has asked me to bring it back to useful life and a tilting table that i decided to renew for the heck of it

jacques' tilting arbour now has a motor mount, motor and wiring and is operational. however severe blade wobble indicates that new bearings and some minor machine work is required. Like the beaver 1200 and 2200, the motor doesnt tilt with the arbour, the motor just slide along a rod to provide some semblence of belt alignment. it does work at a bevel angle of 45 degrees with quite a belt twist!! but work it does!!

the tilttable saw has had new bearings and i had to machine the spindle down for a 1/2 inch bore pulley it was so severely damaged at that end from a loose pulley. the main body has been cleaned up and painted, tabletop(severely rusted) has cleanedup nicely, saw is now partially assembled ready for arbour runnout check

pics will follow when the batteries are charged
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: A Tale of Two Craftmaster Table Saws

pics!!

first is the tilt arbour(jacques saw), added motor mount and electrics
    blade wobble indicates a need for bearings and arbour machine work, minor stuff for a 60 year old saw

next is my tilt table, neat compact little saw, new arbour bearings installed
    Attached Files
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Very very nice, thank you Steve for fixing it up.
      Jacques

Comment

a quick update, the tilt table saw has had new bearings, machined the blade washer, blade runnout is now 2 thou, now im rebuilding an old rockwell stand for it

pics to follow
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

ok here's the little tilt table on a rescued refinished rockwell stand, needed a wood shelf for bolt alignment, motor is an old 1/2 hp repulse induction motor, not sure which way it rotates yet but its gonna need a long belt!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by stevem; 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM.
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

I sure would be more comfortable with a wider base on that saw.
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
              I sure would be more comfortable with a wider base on that saw.
              yeah me too, im getting bigger top and shelf made, the motor is very heavy but the stand has to be bigger
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

so back to jacques's tilt arbour saw

the mechanical stuff is sorted out for the motor

time for disassembly and some paint

got some new bearings and reassembled the arbour bracket

paint is being baked in the driveway!!

you can see the three parts that make up the cabinet, the "trunnion" piece that slides on machined grooves on the front piece, all pretty ingenious and somewhat similar to the beaver 1200

the motor doesnot tilt with the arbour(like the beaver 1200 and 2200)

more pics to come when the paint's well baked
                Attached Files
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

so here's the tilt system, everything hangs on the front cast iron cabinet piece, similar to the beaver 1200

but the craftmaster "trunnion" slides in a semi circular track machined into the cabinet front, very simple and very effective for a small saw, a little graphite and its very smooth
                  Attached Files
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

and reassembled

the arbour bracket is infact very tight, so accurate bevels should be easy, accurate depth of cut? yet to seen

pretty solid construction actually, far better than than the modern crap from craftsman and crappy

with a little care and attention, this little saw gonna make a sweet little dado/groove cutter

new bearings fit great, i'll check runnout on the blade flange later, btw bearings were 6203's very common size, 8 bucks each
                    Attached Files
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Yessss can't wait to have this saw in my shop.
                      Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                        so here's the tilt system, everything hangs on the front cast iron cabinet piece, similar to the beaver 1200

but the craftmaster "trunnion" slides in a semi circular track machined into the cabinet front, very simple and very effective for a small saw, a little graphite and its very smooth
                        My saw looks exactly the same. Does that mark on the inside of the back say "8TA2"?

I also see that you have taken out the large pin that holds the trunnion to the arbor arm. Mine seems frozen in place. Penetrating oil does seep through the cracks but it doesn't seem to budge. Is it worth it use some vice grips to work it loose? the screw on the bottom of the arm there seems to have worn a grove around the middle which keeps it from going side to side.

Comment

remove the screw completely then tap the pin out, i used a socket and a hammer

the groove is meant to be there, the locking screw engages the slot to prevent lateral movement but allowing rotation. take the locking screw out of arbour arm too
                          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

and a closeup of the guts!!

the arbour bracket is locked to the arbour rod with a setscrew that engages a flat machined on the rod. the rod can rotate in the "trunnion" for height adjustment and is retained by a locking setscrew that engages the groove in the rod

all very nicely machined and tight and smooth in operation

also shown is checking arbour runnout, before the bearing change, runnout was severe, the blade wobbled at least an eighth and the arbour washer was over 20 thou. now the runnout at the arbour is 4 thou, better but could be improved on, i did try installing the other arbour washer and the blade nut, tightening them, runnout is now 3 thou!!

so a little machining will be required, my beaver 3200 has less than 1 thou at the arbour, or i'll try a beaver brass washer instead, got one around here somewhere
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by stevem; 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM.
                            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

decided to keep going on the reassembly, i can pull the arbour later for a little lathe work. fastened the side panels loosely, flipped the saw over to check the blade to mitre slot, easy adjustment, measure blade to mitre slot front and back, twist the cabinet front a little, check again

i had it perfect in two "tweaks", i may have play with it a little more after i get the arbour trued up

assembled the aluminum sides properly and rechecked blade runnout, about 15 thou, not bad its was over 200 before, but my 3200 is around 2 thou at the blade rim

next job today, reassemble the motor setup, cut some wood
                              Attached Files
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Working...
                              X