Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug G
    replied
    Glad I could help. I agree the upgraded fence made a huge improvement in my saw also.

Leave a comment:

• lakadaman
    replied
    Thank you for the information. It helped me with the installation of the newer Delta T3 fence. I also have a thin table saw top that's shallow in depth. Project took me a lot longer than the estimated 1-1/2 hours, but it was worth it. What an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• Installation of Delta 36-T30 T2-30 Fence on Beaver 34090A Table Saw

I recently upgraded the fence on my Beaver 34090A table saw to a Delta 36-T30 T2-30 Fence and I thought I’d share my experience. I’ve seen several posts relating to installing this fence on Craftsman saws on other forums but I thought I’d post one on the Beaver. The fence right out of the box probably installs with no extra effort on a full size Delta saw but my Beaver has a thinner, narrower and shorter table.

After looking at a few of the other posts and some head scratching I came up with a simple solution. Since my table is only 1 - 3/8” thick I couldn’t bolt the guide rails directly to the table since the 3/8”diameter bolt holes in the rails needed to be about 1 ¼” below the table top and the bolt centres end up right at the bottom edge of the table top. The solution was to bolt a ¼” x 1 ½” flat bar to the front and back of table top with the top of the bar just below the bottom of the mitre slot and the bottom of the bar about ½” below the bottom of the table. I drilled and counter sunk the holes in the flat bar to match the holes in the table (I used all 4 holes front and back for extra strength). This gave me lots of room to drill the holes in the flat bar at the correct height to match the holes in the guide rails. To maximize cutting capacity to the right of the blade I drilled two new holes in each rail at the same height as the existing holes and shifted the rails over to the right. This gives me about 34” to the right and about 7” to the left ( I was actually aiming for 9” to the left but miscalculated, if I decide later that I need more capacity on the left I’ll just have to redrill it again – a pain in the @$$ but doable). The guide tube bolted to the front guide rail using the existing holes.

With the rails bolted on at the correct height this just left the difference in the depths of the table tops to deal with. My table with the flat bars added was still only 22 3/8” deep vs. the 27” depth of the full size Delta table top. Luckily the fence itself has a cut out for access to the bolts which hold the aluminum sides of the fence to the centre box beam in the right place. I was able to move the nylon guide and metal clip forward about 4 ½” and bend the clip slightly to match my table top depth correctly by drilling new holes and reaching thru the access cut out to install nuts on the bolts I used to secure the nylon guide and metal clip. (I could have drilled and tapped the holes but since I had access to use nuts that was easier.) The last step was to relocate the scale on the guide tube so it would read correctly, I used a razor blade to start and it pealed right off. When I reinstalled it the end where I used the razor blade wouldn’t stick so I added some double sided tape to secure it.

The fence is a HUGE improvement over the original fence (no more measuring front and back of the blade and tightening the two knobs and tapping and re-adjusting several times to get the fence where I want it, just set it using the scale and cut.

One more tip, when I installed my extension table on the right, I added a stop block on the end of the table so my fence won’t run off the end. I think I’ll add a stopblock on the front guide rail on the left side as well.

I also added an outfeed extension to the back of the table top. I made it extend about the same distance from the table as the end of the new fence (about 10”) and I’m in the process of adding an additional 36” extension which will be hinged so it will hang down out of the way when not in use.

I’ve included a few pics to show what I’ve done so far.

My next upgrade to the saw will be to replace the metal stand with a rolling cabinet with storage, dust collection and a router insert in the table extension. I’m looking on line for ideas to maximize the storage and functionality. There are lots of good ideas out there to choose from. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

Doug
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Doug G; 07-05-2012, 02:33 PM.
Working...
X