Made a dust chute for my 6" jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a dust chute for my 6" jointer

I had been looking for a dust chute for my 6" Delta short bed jointer with no luck when I decided that I would attempt to make one. Shouldn't be that hard, right? Problem was I didn't have any measurements, materials or metal working tools but why not give it a try.

After looking at jointers on the Vintage Machinery site and some that had previously been for sale on another site I took some measurements of the stand and set about making a template would some foamcore, getting what seemed like at pretty good fit

About this time a member on a different site started a thread on the subject and one of the other members posted the measurements.One problem solved. Now for the materials for the chute. A search on my BIL's scrap pile turned up a front panel from an old clothes washer. Good heavy gauge, should work. Tranfered the pattern and cut out with my small angle grinder. Who needs metal shears?

Cut out looked promising.

Now to bend. But I don't have a metal brake so lathe bed, a piece on angle iron and a couple of clamps will have to do

Cut out some tabs for rounded section and secured with a pop rivet. Will fill in the seam with some bondo before painting just to clean it up

Final bending of mounting tabs with a couple of pieces of angle iron and then drilled the mounting holes

Final result looks pretty good when mounted. Certainly was the right price.

I should confess that the one I made is slightly larger than the original, just thought the original looked a little small. I also opted not to bend over a lip on the long sides. I originally planned to do this to give it some rigidity but given the sheet metal I used was 1/32' thick I didn't find this necessary.

Now to get to work on the rest of the jointer
    Last edited by Gerry in Belle River; 07-07-2012, 10:26 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Made a dust chute for my 6" jointer

Good Story Gerry, But No Photos where I think you had planned them.
    Take Care
    George
    Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission

Comment

Photos are up again - OWWM (hosting site) may have been down.

Nice work !!

John

Comment

Great work Gerry....

Excellent example of the kind of thread needing a vintage forum. I'm sure there's lots of other old school delta owners in the same position as Gerry was

Comment

Finally painted up & ready to attach whenever I get the rest done.

.IMG_0194 (640x480).jpgIMG_0193 (640x480).jpg

Comment

Working...
          X