Rockwell Uniplane Sought and Found

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell Uniplane Sought and Found

I grew up in the 1970's, in my father's woodworking shop - which was full of a lot of Rockwell and Rockwell/Delta machinery. I remember the planer, saws, lathe, over/under router, bandsaw - but what mainly sticks in my mind was the "uniplane" - a unique vertical surfacer/jointer.

Now, 30+ years later (with the original shop long gone) I find myself wondering if I could pick up one of these uniplanes in good enough shape to restore. I have a modern, industrial 16" jointer - so it would be more for nostalgia and to remind myself of my young days hanging out with my father in the shop. But also, to have a unique piece of woodworking equipment that is still useable today.

Let me know what you have, and in what condition (and how much you are asking). I see some in the USA for sale in decent shape but I'd like to find one within Canada if possible.

Thanks,
    Andrew Coholic
    acoholic@ntl.sympatico.ca
    Andrew J. Coholic
    Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rockwell Uniplane Sought and Found

Re: Anyone have an old Rockwell Uniplane for sale within Canada?

There is one for sale on kijiji in Cambridge

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...AdId=389791531

Comment

Thanks, I emailed the seller.
      AJC
      Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

federated tools always has 2 or 3 uniplanes in their store, probably from local high schools

they are in london ontario, ask for dave, he's a member here too but not very active
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
          federated tools always has 2 or 3 uniplanes in their store, probably from local high schools

they are in london ontario, ask for dave, he's a member here too but not very active
          Thank you for the lead, I will email them also.

Andrew
          Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

I ended up buying one (with a 3 phase motor no less!) from Federated Tools, today. Thanks for the lead, and mods can you lock this thread please?

Thanks!
            Andrew
            Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Hey! We want pics!!

I saw a Uniplane many years ago. I was thinking of buying it but then looked at all those cutters and started thinking about how precisely they all had to be mounted. If any one is a bit high, it will be doing ALL the cutting. Despite being offered a pretty good deal, I decided to go with a conventional jointer.

Comment

Originally posted by WCraig View Post
                Hey! We want pics!!

I saw a Uniplane many years ago. I was thinking of buying it but then looked at all those cutters and started thinking about how precisely they all had to be mounted. If any one is a bit high, it will be doing ALL the cutting. Despite being offered a pretty good deal, I decided to go with a conventional jointer.
                I have a 7.5 HP 16" spiral head, long bed jointer in my shop (CANTEK J168LH) for my daily use, the Uniplane is more for "sentimental" reasons and someting to remember where I got my start in this trade.

But, I fully intend to get it operational and tuned up. I got my hands on a manual, which also describes the set up and sharpening of the teeth. My father, whois going to be 82 this year, can probably still remember setting it up although the last time he used it was in the late 1980's.

It is set to be picked up Wednesday and I should have it by Friday. I am getting it sent up North by transport.

I really didnt think I would be able to acquire one so easily. I have been thinking of trying to get one for a while, but only signed up here recently. I am pretty much in the middle of no where, when it comes to woodworking machinery... not at all like being in Southern ON where all the used equipment dealers are.

Thanks again for the leads, guys!

AJC
                Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

a new thread in the power tools section with some pics and your impressions of the machine would be great when you get your planer/jointer

very few members here have ever seen a uniplane, let alone used one!!

its a very unique machine, here's one from the vintage website

Last edited by stevem; 07-10-2012, 04:11 AM.
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

i realize that his thread has been closed but i reopened it in the hopes that andrew will keep it alive

we will move it to the powertools forum when andrew updates his thread

keep it going andrew, the uniplane is a very unique tool, we'll be interested in your experiences
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by Ajcoholic View Post
                      I have a 7.5 HP 16" spiral head, long bed jointer in my shop (CANTEK J168LH) for my daily use, the Uniplane is more for "sentimental" reasons and someting to remember where I got my start in this trade.

But, I fully intend to get it operational and tuned up. I got my hands on a manual, which also describes the set up and sharpening of the teeth. My father, whois going to be 82 this year, can probably still remember setting it up although the last time he used it was in the late 1980's.

It is set to be picked up Wednesday and I should have it by Friday. I am getting it sent up North by transport.

I really didnt think I would be able to acquire one so easily. I have been thinking of trying to get one for a while, but only signed up here recently. I am pretty much in the middle of no where, when it comes to woodworking machinery... not at all like being in Southern ON where all the used equipment dealers are.

Thanks again for the leads, guys!

AJC

well its not a big seller!! federated has had those 2 or 3 for several years, hopefully they gave you a good deal especially since the motors are 3 phase
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Re: Anyone have an old Rockwell Uniplane for sale within Canada? - FOUND

Nice job

Btw I know off topic, but does he have any other old machinery there for sale?

Comment

federated has tons(literally) of old machinery, beaver 2200 tablesaw to the biggest bandsaw(wadkin maybe) ive ever seen, old ras, chain mortisers, jointers, planers

dave(store manager?) is a member here, havent seen him on here for a while

i will be there this weekend for other reasons, i'll do a quick scope around

their website sucks, the store is awesome
                          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Wow, good to know, yeah there was no mention on the website but I would like to head down there at some point

Comment

Steve,
                              When I talked to Dave, they had two Uniplanes in stock (one 3 phase 208/240V and the other 120 single phase). Both asking $250, which I felt was a fair price and didnt try and get a better deal (also considering they were not going to charge me to get it on a skid, ready for pickup by transport).

I actually wanted the three phase one, as all the equipment in my shop operates on three phase.

I will certainly post when it arrives and I get a chance to get it tuned up, sharpened and so forth.

I do a fair bit of metal work as well, and I have a lot of 1/4" tool steel bits - a universal grinder, etc - so I am pretty confident I can make, sharpen and maintain my own bits for the Uniplane. They are not that complicated of a grind, quite similar to what you would do when cutting metal on a lathe (just a little steeper bevels).

AJC
                              Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Working...
                              X