Keeping up with the Forsbergs...Wadkin PK Sliding Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping up with the Forsbergs...Wadkin PK Sliding Table Saw

As some of you may know. I have a thing for vintage equipment.... Now personally I make a strong effort to collect machines with Canadian heritage if at all possible. However I ran into a bit of a problem when it came time to focus the hunt toward a tablesaw. You see, whatever I ended up with had to be a slider plain and simple. Why...? Well I could ramble on explaining my personal tastes and desires but I'll just cut to the chase and say.... why not.

Unfortunately, I couldn't for the life of me find any reference to a vintage Canadian born sliding TS... Now I could have just broadened my search to include the rest of North America, but everyone and their Uncle owns a Tannewitz down there. There's only one possibly unaccounted for sliding Whitney #77, and really wants to go through the trouble of travelling South of the border just to buy Oliver's knock off of a Wadkin .

So in my mind I had only one choice, and that was to look toward the Mother Land. The UK had a handful of incredible woodworking machine builders back in the day. Robinson, Sagar, John Pickles & Son, and of course Wadkin to mention just a few. All of these companies made large format sliders, but finding them within our great nation isn't the easiest thing to accomplish, and typically when you do the seller has placed an astronomical value on the machine.

Now it goes without saying to those who even mildly lurk within the woodworking forums of the world, (trust me I've checked ) but if you don't know, Mr. Jack Forsberg is the man to talk to in Canada if you're interested in UK machinery. I'm only one of the many that hammer Jack with endless emails about various english machines in an attempt to gauge their possible worth and heritage. Of course Jack is best known for his love of all things Wadkin, and I would think most would agree the crown jewel in his Wadkin Temple would be his PK slider. That particular machine has the old iron blood hounds on high alert, and I think you'd be surprised at how tightly knit the Wadkin fan club truly is.

Although, it's hard not to want Jack's saw. The reality is, Jack made it what it is. Sure Wadkin made the machine, but what you see in the above link really should be considered a special addition, and unfortunately it has set a pretty damn high bar. So high in fact that some, including myself, have pondered if it's even worth bothering...lol. I mean who really wants to spend a large amount of time/effort, just to be compared to that level of benchmark.

Well I can tell you one person who's willing to take a kick at the Wadkin PK restoration can....
    IMAG1220.jpg
    Yep... that^^^ guy

Those of you that frequent the Golden Oldies thread in the Swap Meet, will know that 'Andre in Quebec' posted an kijiji ad for a Wadkin PK in Montreal, and that I quickly jumped all over it. I kept my communication with the seller and my intentions quiet as I in the past had another opprotunity at a PK in Quebec that didn't go so well . Not too long ago, I also made a half hearted attempt at buying a John Pickles & Son slider at an auction in Sault Ste Marie, that appeared to be very similar to the PK, a knock off if you will, but ended up being a very rare double spindle machine. This time around, I wasn't going to tempt fates and have them loose that jerk Murphy and his stupid law on me again.

It took me a week to get all my ducks in a row. However someone was smiling down on me this time around though, as the seller refused to entertain other potential buyers, even without a deposit from me, (which I did offer). Mark in Burlington kindly offerred to make the trip to Montreal with me. Mark has been collecting machines for a long time, and I knew having someone in my corner with a lot of ruckering experience behind him would be beneficial.

I left Barrie at 12am Tuesday morning and made the 7hr drive to Montreal, picking Mark up in Yorkdale. We ended up in a completely wrong part of Montreal, (you've got to love auto-correct on cell phone GPS ) however we made it to the seller's place of business with tons of time to spare. Loading it up with the seller's electric fork lift, that was probably as old as the PK was a little hairy, but you don't complain when you need to get a 1800lbs chunk of iron in the air...lol.

On the way back we stopped in on Wadkin's Canadian GraceLand located just outside Ottawa. Jack was kind enough to give us the $2 tour, and like he mentioned in his RM thread, let me test drive his PK . He was also very eager to give my newly aquired Wadkin the once over, and found I believe two differences, which I'll bring up in another post.

After an extremely long, hot, rain soaked 1400km day of driving, I made it home right at 8pm. Just in time, to read a story to my kids before bed. Of course I totally passed out and didn't move an inch for the next 11hrs, but who's to judge...lol

So at any rate, the game is on... I'm missing almost all the accessories and I currently don't have the means to power the saw. In all reality though, it's going to be a long time before I cut wood with this beauty.

In my mind though the hard part it over

Jarrett (who's starting to realize he's very long winded...lol)
    Last edited by stevem; 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM.

Re: Keeping up with the Forsbergs...Wadkin PK Sliding Table Saw

Re: Keeping up to the Forsbergs...

Looks like a beauty Jarrett. good luck with it!

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve... be sure to stay tuned right here for the most up to date happenings...

Comment

After a very much required night of sleep, I leaped right into action this morning in an effort to get my 'new' Wadkin to it's interm home. Truth be told, I really wasn't looking forward to another morning of heavy rigging in the very warm/humid weather we've been having, but it is what it is....

So here's the trick to successfully ruckering a PK home and getting it off the trailer solo. Two words.....

Can everyone say "dump trailer".....
        IMAG1229.jpg
        So with a combination of the blessing that the dump trailer is, a 'come along', multiple straps/chains, some angle iron/pipes, and finally a pallet jack, you too can safely unload your pk in under slightly less than 40mins...

Really, the only special consideration when moving a PK is the tilty nature toward the slider side. I didn't even have the saw bolted to the skid. I had the lag bolts at the ready, but it really seemed pointless. What good was a lag buried in the soft wood of the pallet going to do if the Wadkin decided it was time to fall over....? So instead I opted to strap the opposite side of the saw down to the pallet by wrapping it around the outside 'beam or joist' of the skid. I figured this way the whole pallet would have to be ripped apart, rather than just to two small sections I would have bolted to.
        IMAG1228.jpg
        Considering we live in the great white North, and that they don't make skates big enough for a saw this size. The next thing to do was to strap on some skis.....
        IMAG1226.jpg
        I intended to use ye olde 'roll the old iron on pipes trick' once I got it off the trailer. Fortunately, I did actually remember to screw these pieces of angle iron on before it was too late. That's not like me, so either something down the road is going to bite me in the a$$ on this project, or it's truly meant to be....

So, angle iron mounted, trailer in dump mode, pallet jack pumped up, and 'come along' in the ready position.
        IMAG1232.jpg
        The PK gently rolled down the grade of the trailer's bed. Till it neared the bottom and the pallet jack's back wheels weren't supporting the weight any longer. The next step is to pull out the jack and just get it's front wheels under the skid. This part was much more difficult, as now I'm shifting the saw forward with a pry bar. On the plus side, it's a much more controlled decent. I left the come along in place as a safety net of sorts. Not that I expected the PK to flip forward at this point, but hey..., call me a nervous father...lol
        IMAG1233.jpg
        Once the leading edge of the pallet is off the trailer, get that first piece of pipe in right away. It doesn't take much to go to far, and end up *bleep* creek, without a *bleep'n* paddle.
        IMAG1234.jpg
        Oh ya, I forgot to mention the next best piece of equipment you can use to move your old iron around... It's other old iron...lol. Once I got to the point where the pallet jack was being more of a pain. I opted to tie off to the Goldie&McCulloch UWW. The previous owner of her, had mounted it to two pieces of 'C' channel, that just happened to sink a little into the old driveway. Can't ask for a better anchoring point than a 1000lbs machine stuck in asphalt...lol.

With the PK tied off to the Goldie, I switched gears, or rather I put the truck into gear and starting pulling away. I'd creep forward a handful of inches and get another pipe under the skis. Pulling it off with the strap wouldn't have allowed me to get more pipes under the skid.
        IMAG1235.jpgIMAG1236.jpgIMAG1237.jpg
        ...and there you go. Safely on the ground, and ready to be pulled via ratchet strap into the pile with everything else
        Last edited by J. Vibert; 07-19-2012, 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ok... time for one more post. Here's a up close and personal shot of my Wadkin PK

IMAG1238.jpg

So every moves fairly well... The slider is missing the two uncarriage bolts meant to act as travel stops. In the grand scope of things this is a very minor problem, but I'll tell ya it caught both me and Mark off guard when we were playing with the slider at the seller's place.

The worst of it, is the missing accessories. All I got with the saw was the miter gauge, and even that was welding back together. So, no quadrant, either style of rip fence, or miter slot filler strips. Those familar with the PK will also notice I don't have the bolt on wing that allows for fence greater capacity. However here's where one of those differences Jack noticed comes into play.
          IMAG1238edit.jpg
          The odd looking blue shape is where you'd normally find the fence capacity addition. The red circle is the neat bit though... Unlike Jack's PK that has a small out cropping that's apart of the table's casting meant for the crown guard mount, I have nothing. My PK was designed to have a full sized right side wing attached to it. Just like you'll see in the next pic....
          4.jpg11648-E.jpg
          So at least my PK is meant to be different than Jack's in some manner anyway. The downside is finding that extension wing. The one pictured above on the floor is the only one I've been able to find noted online.

Comment

That's big iron. That was a wonderful tale of a tool search, and the pictures really added to the story. Keep us updated!

Comment

Nice Jarrett, all you need now is an original Tesla polyphase motor with an open starter............LOL.

Looks like a fun project.............Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Congrats on a great purchase. I look forward to following the progress on the PK as well as the rest of the pile. Makes me yearn to be 30 years younger.

Comment

Re: Keeping up with the Forsbergs...

J
                  I will be the first to welcome you to the Wadkin fraternity. And congratulation on the the PK save. The Wadkin PK IMO is the best Solid wood Dimension saw ever made. I believe Wadkin's intention was the make the best in the would when they set out in the 20's to made the first generation PK with there Motor driven machinery line up. These saws were made for pattern shops and engineering firms to a stander that surpassed any woodworking machinery. BTW the P in the PK stands for precision and so the P family of wadkin saws is/was there top of the line.Years after it was drooped from the main catalog and replaced by the Wadkin PP it/you could still special order the PK. BTW the PP fence and double miter on the PP slider is interchangeable with the PK so there is that source for your bits. I think that missing parts gives us the opportunity to be creative in the rebuild. I am sure you will not disappoint in this regard.

I thought I would post the catalog cut for the kids at home. Enjoy this saw J it has no upgrades.

jack
                  English machines

jack
                  English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

what a beautiful piece of ww equipment
                    as much as i like the beaver stuff, that doesnt even come close
                    chalk me up for the next one that comes up
                    cant wait to see it
                    my shop is a beaver lodge
                    steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Congrats again Jarrett, It was a great making the trip with you and everything that could have gone wrong didn't....
                      The more you read and understand the PK the more one can appreciate them as a work of art. Thanks Jack for give us the Royal tour of your collection.
                      Cheers, Mark
                      sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Congrats on the “new” saw, hope you document the restoration on this site.

One thing I noticed on this saw is the safety features which I thought were not around at that time. Like the short fence, the overarm guard and most surprising to me was the riving knife (which I thought was fairly modern invention).

Val

Comment

Let me just say I will never in a million years own anything similar or take on a project like this, but damn I love following along.
                          Donna,
                          Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Congrats Jarrett and Wow what a nice piece of machinery.
                            Jacques

Comment

Thanks everyone....

I'd be lying if I claimed that I had been searching for a PK for years, but there were times where it certainly felt like it....lol. This particular project I'm thinking will take considerable time to even get close to the finish line, and it's not even first on my "to do list". I highly doubt I'll be able to stumble across the accessories I'm missing. So as Jack suggested, I'll most likely end up fabricating some of my own parts. That's not to say I'm going to stray far from original in design, just maybe shake up the materials used, and maybe give it my personal flare if you will...

Of course my intentions are to go indepth with the restoration here on CWW. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to start posting progress, there will be a more suitable place for another monster restoration thread by me.

For any who have been inspired to hunt for your own Wadkin, regardless if it's the PK or not. Be warned... Although the Wadkin collective are a friendly bunch, it's a feeding frenzy out there...lol. There's no order to gets these machines, so be prepared to throw a few elbows, and jump in your truck in a moments notice. I was very fortunate to stumble across a great seller, and in my experience most aren't.

Comment

Working...
                              X