Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wadkin GZ Stroke Sander

There are hundreds of them around but dust collection is a challenge and they require some operator skill to use compared to a wide belt. I have a 10' semi automatic Heeseman under a tarp in the yard while I try to find a spot for it. I had even offered it to Mike but he said he had no room till I found him a dirty old Wadkin.
    Rob

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
      There are hundreds of them around but dust collection is a challenge and they require some operator skill to use compared to a wide belt. I have a 10' semi automatic Heeseman under a tarp in the yard while I try to find a spot for it. I had even offered it to Mike but he said he had no room till I found him a dirty old Wadkin.
      Rob
      The Heesemann is 10 times the machine the Wadkin is. As much as I do appreciate your offer there is just no way it would have worked. Comparing the Wadkin to the Heesemann is like comparing a schooner to a battleship. What does it have twin 24 HP motors? It was only upon initial inspection that I found how the GZ could be dismantled, moved and installed in sections. That's not something I could imagine doing with the Heesmann. If you saw the lay out of my shop you'd know there is no way it would fit without creating one major obstacle, leaving no room for material flow or project assembly. The Wadkin will occupy a corner of the shop that was under used anyway.

Now if you are looking for a home the JY? That I would have room for.....
      Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

I've spent countless hours on several stroke sanders. All of them were Progress.

I've found this thread rather enlightening. While I'm not a brandname nuthugger, I could find a use for the capacity difference of the Wadkin. And who couldn't use a waterfall sander.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin H View Post
          I've spent countless hours on several stroke sanders. All of them were Progress.

I've found this thread rather enlightening. While I'm not a brandname nuthugger, I could find a use for the capacity difference of the Wadkin. And who couldn't use a waterfall sander.
          I have a Porter G8, one of the worlds best waterfall sanders, and I would not consider rising it to nose height thank you. The Wadkin is obviously aimed at short sighted rather than short statured craftsmen.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
            I have a Porter G8, one of the worlds best waterfall sanders, and I would not consider rising it to nose height thank you. The Wadkin is obviously aimed at short sighted rather than short statured craftsmen.
            Rob
            Oh Please !!

Rob that is one hell of a statement, I have no idea what a porter is, never heard of that. The wadkin is a pad/stroke sander not a waterful sander, it is only added as a extra .
            Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

Originally posted by furnman View Post
              Oh Please !!

Rob that is one hell of a statement, I have no idea what a porter is, never heard of that. The wadkin is a pad/stroke sander not a waterful sander, it is only added as a extra .

The porter cable is a grinder for metal Mark and the area for sanding is very small with the upper guards. I have the Engleberg who took over porter cable in the early years. I would take the Wadkin if i hand the room and was sanding wood not steel.
              everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
              English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Me too Jack, I think it is a beautiful machine, i mean if you even compare it to the later bursgreen models its is still a beautiful peace of engineering and one i would lust after. Sadly they seem very rare here in the UK , I think some here are missing the point of the humble pad/stroke sander and maybe reflects the different types of woodwork being done.
                Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

This is Wadkin's dedicated waterfall sander. The waterfall on the stroke sander is an add on but a useful one similar to what Bursgreen later did with this SS with the disk and dust collector. All powered by the same motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wadkin Waterfall sander-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	898818 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bursgreen Stroke Sander with disc and blower.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	898819 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bursgreen Stroke Sander with disc and blower back.JPG
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	898820

That SS is still on Kajiji BTW. It's been there 6 to 9 months?

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ546434484
                  Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

The table drop of 23 inches can allow for some interesting curved panel sanding. Simple jig to build at the right radius and you are good to go. Not something you can do with a wide belt.

Name:	Doucet Curved job.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	898822
                    Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

the bursgreen BGB is the size i would like and it does have the box sander on top too. you can also get the bobbin too.

everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                      English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by furnman
                        Mike that wadkin waterfull sure looks nice and would love one of them, but the bursgreen i think is a BGA ?? which is the same as my little 4 ft long one posted earlier. I also have a bursgreen BGB with electric rise and fall but to be honest is not really a great machine to use, I rather regret buying it still it does the job but I don't like the pad arrangement , sorry only picture i have is one of it being unloaded to my old workshop.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]73102[/ATTACH]
                        Mark that BGB looks very similar in details to my Samco. Do you think they knocked off Wadkin? Or maybe the other way and Wadkin scaled theirs down to compete with the Italian?
                        joe

Comment

Hi Joe
                          Yes you are right, the samco is very,very similar to the wadkin but if you look at the above picture you will see on the right on the name plate you will see the union jack so they claim its british but I agree with you it could be the other way around. It does have a british brook motor so I would say unlikly that it was a import and rebadged . I love the power rise and fall but don't think much of this machine, I would choose the older BGA bursgreen which is lovely to use anyday. Whats your samco like joe ??

Jack I with you on the BGA, my little 4 foot one is really nice and with the swan neck you can still use it for longer stuff but does not take too much space.But the short ones are rare to find, I am surprised that you don't own one specially with the type of work you do. Cheap too.
                          Last edited by furnman; 02-24-2014, 04:35 AM.
                          Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

Mark, it is scary similar right down to the power table motors. My Samco has been gone from my shop for 18 years. I may have a picture around somewhere. I liked it but had no experience with anything else. Looking at the heavy old refined Wadkin I know it would be better. The Samco ends were cast but the table and overhead where the belt ran had a tinny feel to it.
                            i sanded a lot of doors on ours in the 15 years we ran it. The wide belt is better for this but the stroker put us in the game.
                            Joe

Comment

Joe the wadkin is the same, cast ends and everything else is just pressed steel, very poor, I think mine is a 1979 model of the top of my head.

Here is another wadkin flat bed sander for sale on uk ebay today, I also have one of these and they are very good for fitting drawers.

Name:	$_12 (11)wadgl.JPG
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	898826Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12 (11)wadkingl.JPG
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	898827Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12wadgl.JPG
Size:	32.3 KB