Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wadkin GZ Stroke Sander

Have just seen this sagar sander on uk ebay which shows alot of the same design as the wadkin, clearly a older machine than the wadkin but I really like this machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sagarpad1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	898947Click image for larger version

Name:	sagarpad2.JPG
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	898948Click image for larger version

Name:	sagarpad3.JPG
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	898949
    It is also interesting the position of the top joky wheel which sagar put at a more central postion on the sander,for what reason I don't know, also the water full seems to be missing its table of course if it ever had one, anyone got any other pictures of the sagar would love to see.
    Last edited by furnman; 03-02-2014, 12:50 PM.
    Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

550 pounds? I would be all over that Mark.
      Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

Hi Mike, I am tempted but have put my self under a strict no more machinery buying at the moment, I think this is a really nice machine but its big and you will need alot of space, very few fully cast pad sanders left . I would love to get rid of my bursgreen pad sander for this one, thinking about that , emmm
        Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

Have some jobs in the near future that will require lots of sanding so I decided it was time to finally get the GZ back together. Started with a hand scrape and brush to pull all the loose paint off the base. Almost the entire top peeled easy.

Name:	DSCF5587CWW_zpso2gis6dn.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1167642Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5589CWW_zpspzikncje.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1167643

Seen as the top peeled so easy I suspected the underside may have issues, so I slipped the camera underside, and this confirmed something should be done asap.

Name:	DSCF5599CWW_zpsqyoxbypb.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1167644
          Last edited by M.McKenna; 02-19-2018, 03:25 AM.
          Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

The base is actually 5/16" steel and not cast. At 10'6" long and 28" inches wide, I guessed it would be over 500 lbs. So I built a cradle before rolling it over using the chain hoist. That way it would be stable on the cart while I worked on the underside.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5604CWW_zpscr3eiagh.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.5 KB ID:	1167649

Having a hoist makes all the heavy lifting easy, gradual and slow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5606CWW_zpsadylzwkw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	1167650

Once rolled over I took it outside for a clean up with a wire wheel on the buffer

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5607CWW_zpsqjdbgqdu.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	1167651
            Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_115682.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	1167653

The underside only had surface rust and cleaned up easier than the top. Wire brush wheel and hand sanding. Clean off the dust and ready for paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5616CWW_zpsxsy20e4t.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	1167660

Had a can of red on hand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5620CWW_zpsahuiucqd.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	1167661

Rolled it back upright on the chain block, taped off the machined surfaces and gave the top a good coat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5626CWW_zpsqyf0qns9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	1167662

Last edited by M.McKenna; 02-19-2018, 09:21 AM.
              jgarrett forsberg, furnman and 3 others like this.
              Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

Off to a good start Mike, it will not be so easy to manoeuvre once it is reassembled.
                Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob.

At six foot tall with a narrow foot, even moving it with a pallet jack or two will be a challenge.
                  Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

Be easier maybe if you slip a movers dolly under each end but quite top heavy when all together. Get the fire dept to stop by when ready to move it into place. LOL
                    Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Looking good Mike.
                      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Great stuff mike, looking good. We call them pad sanders over here, just love these machines and always fancied a wadkin one but rare over here. Looking forward to seeing it running.
                        Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

Great scoop Mike. Are you trying to out-Mark Mark with the speed of your resto? Looking good.

Comment

Erik the puzzle of handling and moving the various parts is the fun part. The bigger they are the more you have to be sure you don't loose control and find yourself in a bad spot. I find myself using the chain block more and more. I have been considering some heavy dollies for each end rather than pallet jacks.

Paul, not sure I would call this a resto. Its more like basic maintenance before reassembly. Its a huge machine and I haven't got time to take it down to bits. If it affects basic function then I will deal with it. It will need to be running in a month or less.. to be useful on the next shop job.Just could not see getting the underside painted for quite a while if it was all reassembled so decided to get er done now. Who knows it may be another 60 years before the next guy does the same. I just wanted to make sure the foundation was solid before getting it all back together. It would have been easy to weld in any repair at this point but proved not to be required.

Not sure what you mean by speed, I have had this one for almost 4 years waiting to be put to work. The advantage of storing them in a dry place indoors, and under cover is there is very little degrade while waiting to be put back to work.
                            Last edited by M.McKenna; 02-20-2018, 05:26 AM.
                            Mike

Wadkin blockhead

Comment

What r u going to be testing it out on mike ? Doors? Table slabs? . Whatever u have going? I'm sure it'll slay it for ya.

Comment

Sorry, Didn't see the date stamp when I opened this. You have had this for a while alright, but in my defense, you were painting the base 5 minutes after I started reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X