Wadkin Mechanical Woodworker 1897.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin Mechanical Woodworker 1897.

Hi all my first new post having trouble typing anything in had to go to source mode?

Does anyone on the forum know of the existence of one of these machines anywhere in the world?
    Reason for asking is there was one put in storage in the early 90s here in Sydney.
    This has now gone missing.
    However I have become aware of another and before mounting an expensive rescue effort would like to ascertain its rarity.
    I have posted this request on the Oz woodforum and OWWM.
    I have posted a few pics from its original location the tram workshop at Randwick in Sydney.
    Plus an ad from The Engineering Journal. a 1909 illustrated weekly journal published by Charles Robert Johnson.
    I have more pics but will see how this posts first.
    H.
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wadkin Mechanical Woodworker 1897.

I have never seen or heard of anyone seeing one and i would believe they are a rare wadkin piece. You should post this thread at the 3 main forums in the UK so that you have all bases covered. love to see all the information you have found.

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/g...odworking.html

http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php
    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Henry,

This is a picture from one of my c1922 catalogues:

The NZ version of this catalogue shows the later Semi Auto Wood Miller:

As I understand it this machine would not have been available to Wadkin & Co until Joseph Wadkin's death in March 1909, when Wadkin & Co acquired Wadkin Mills (based on information provided by Melbourne Matty).

My assumption is that 1922 was the last year that the Mechanical Woodworker was promoted by Wadkin & Co.

I think it is definately worth the effort to track down the fate of that machine, I hope this story has a happy ending!!

Cheers,

Camo

HELP!!

If you have seen this catalogue, or are in the area of Tyntesfield, North Somerset, or you know of the location of a Stenners catalogue, I would love to get some images of some of my 1955 machines.

Call: 1800I HAVE A BAD ADDICTION, or PM me.....PLEEEEEEASE

Comment

They're not capable of producing hockey sticks or there'd be a Canadian version of an otherwise awesome looking machine.

I truly do wish our nation build such amazing stuff. Probably just as much as my wife is glad they didn't...
        Beaverfever1988 likes this.

Comment

A few pics from Modern Mechanical Engineering volume 1. Published in 1923.
          The date is interesting as by this time Wadkin and Co which was now run by Holland Goddard had taken over Wadkin, Mills & Company in 1921 following the death of J H Wadkin.
          Has any one ever seen a catalogue etc from Wadkin, Mills & Company? Would be around 1910 to 1921 vintage.

I would also be interested in early Oliver material as they were the sole Wadkin agent in the US from the 1920s? until at least April 1948.(Machinery cat.)
          I have 2 Wadkin Tools and Accessories for Woodworking Machinery catalogues the 6/57 shows a map of the world with all agents listed. There is no US agent.
          Sir Holland Goddard was still managing director and he had appointed Oliver sole agent.

In the other Tools and Accessories cat dated 4/60, Sir Holland and his son have departed the board and Atwood Imports LA. Freeman Supply Toledo. James F Murphy Cambridge. Supreme woodworking machinery New York and Wilco Machine Works Memphis are now the US agents.
          H.

Comment

its was my understanding that Oliver had the licence to sale the miller in 1908 and it was stated that Wadkin and Co were the makers. This add is 1904 and call the machine "The Encineer" I do not see Wadkin and Co in the ad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	636px-Im1904EnV98-p502.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	899792

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Wadkin_and_Co

the Oliver catalog i have see it in is #22(1923) page 207

Name:	wadkin woos worker.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	899796

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/5128.pdf
            Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM.
            everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
            English machines

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
              This add is 1904 and call the machine "The Encineer" I do not see Wadkin and Co in the ad.
              Jack - the reference is to "The Engineer" (the periodical) from which the advertisement was taken.

There's some great info in that issue of the periodical, including a full rundown on the machine and its tooling (see pages 502 and 503) (and the other links in the Grace's guide)

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/9/92/Er19041118.pdf

Name:	The Engineer 18 Nov 1904 pp 503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	899799
              Regards
              John
              Last edited by jcge71; 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Henry did you ever find the miller?
                Cam I got some info which says that Joseph wadkin died 1919
                www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by wallace1973 View Post
                  Henry did you ever find the miller?...
                  Hah, coincidence! I was searching for something else yesterday, and came across this thread. I too wondered if either of the millers mentioned has survived?

Cheers, Vann.

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                    Hah, coincidence! I was searching for something else yesterday, and came across this thread. I too wondered if either of the millers mentioned has survived?

Cheers, Vann.
                    I am almost sure Marcello Rotor In Melbourne has that machine . Assembly Bespoke is the name of his Co. Not sure of his stage name on the forum down under?

jack
                    English machines

Comment

Mark,

You are right, it was a mistype, it should have said "death in March 1919" not 1909, sorry for any confusion.

Just to double check I looked into a book I have on the history of woodworking machinery and it also states his details as born 1862 died 1919.

For anyone wanting to look further into it, I have a few notes written on a piece of paper in one of my catalogues (often I will just write things on a piece of paper if I am doing some research and throw it into one of the catalogues for when I get a chance to get back to it), I have the following details which will need to be verified, but may help someone:

Born : 1862 Newark, Nottinghamshire, England

Married : 1887 Leicester, Leicestershire, England to Emma Elizabeth Burrows (Older sister of Margaret, who was married to Denzil John Jarvis)

Death : March 1919

I think it is safe to say the birth and death dates have enough cross references to be confident they are probably correct, but the rest should be taken with a grain of salt

HELP!!

If you have seen this catalogue, or are in the area of Tyntesfield, North Somerset, or you know of the location of a Stenners catalogue, I would love to get some images of some of my 1955 machines.

Call: 1800I HAVE A BAD ADDICTION, or PM me.....PLEEEEEEASE

Comment

Cam I have a different date for his birth, I have 1870 died 1919 of pneumonia. Married to Emma and had one son who died at see in 1891.
                        I have a copy of his family tree from a reliable source. He had 6 siblings.
                        I am trying to put together some history for my site so if any one has any snippets of info they would be much appreciated.
                        www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post

I am almost sure Marcello Rotor In Melbourne has that machine . Assembly Bespoke is the name of his Co. Not sure of his stage name on the forum down under?
                          I visited Marcello's workshop a few weeks back Jack and he has a Wadkin Pattern Miller but not this early type . A later more upright one. I messaged him today and he's just sent me pics and Tag of his PK . Which I sent to Vann for the Wadkin Generations thread . Marcello's name is Scamp on forum down here.

Rob

Comment

heres abit from the wadkin rag.

Name:	wadkin life 3 001.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	640.9 KB
ID:	1092101Click image for larger version

Name:	wadkin life 3 003.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	1092102
                            Thanks Mark

British Machines

Comment

I havent got anywhere chasing up the one in Sydney. Government department and know one has a clue what they've done with it.
                              The one in Queensland similar. The auction company that sold it in 2013 won't tell me who bought it for privacy reasons.
                              Bloody frustrating really I now wish I'd stored the Sydney one in my shed, especially as I'm recommissioning the line shaft.
                              Henry.

Comment

Working...
                              X