X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making a new saw handle

Originally posted by stickman View Post
    that handle looks Fabulous !

I'm very respectful of my dads tools and I can hear him saying something to the effect of " Hey never put a plane ( Bert) like that. He only ever sleeps on his side." ( to keep the blade safe) Yes it's probably retracted anyway, and you are showing it to us in a photo.. It was just a habit he instilled so many times that I can never forget it so every time I see a picture of a plane sitting blade down It upsets me just a little, I hear those wise words repeating in my head again.. ;-) It's just one of those little things he left stuck in my head that I will always hear as if he was here. In some ways he is.
    Thanks for the compliment on the handle.
    I have heard of this practice of laying a plane on its side and I disagree. It sits on a wooden bench so being blade down shouldn’t damage it. In fact, if it was on its side, the blade is exposed and vulnerable to being dinged by other tools that are being handled and moved around on the bench. Not to mention accidentally brushing my hand along the blade resulting in a nasty cut. In a different work environment that might not be the case.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Awesome job!! ... I recently refinished an old saw that belonged to my grandfather.

I won't be restoring any of my dad's saws, because... uhhhh ... I would probably have to do it with a 3D printer.... He wasn't the handiest man on earth and his "fine" woodworking would usually involve tools like this:

Comment

Randy, I hear Rob Cosman is hiring, you could use this thread as your resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
          Thanks for the compliment on the handle.
          I have heard of this practice of laying a plane on its side and I disagree. It sits on a wooden bench so being blade down shouldn’t damage it. In fact, if it was on its side, the blade is exposed and vulnerable to being dinged by other tools that are being handled and moved around on the bench. Not to mention accidentally brushing my hand along the blade resulting in a nasty cut. In a different work environment that might not be the case.
          I've seen some do storage for planes put a strip of wood under the plane so the plane isn't sitting on the blade. I think the habit of laying it on it's side when you set it down has merit but it certainly isn't a topic worthy of any sort of contention especially when they aren't even my tools ;-)
          The thread was about the restoration and you did a fine job. Sorry if I took it off topic. Your story made me think of what My dad learned as a very young cabinetmaker during his apprenticeship and he made sure to pass it on whenever I set mine down upon it's blade.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post

I've seen some do storage for planes put a strip of wood under the plane so the plane isn't sitting on the blade. I think the habit of laying it on it's side when you set it down has merit but it certainly isn't a topic worthy of any sort of contention especially when they aren't even my tools ;-)
            The thread was about the restoration and you did a fine job. Sorry if I took it off topic. Your story made me think of what My dad learned as a very young cabinetmaker during his apprenticeship and he made sure to pass it on whenever I set mine down upon it's blade.
            Your comments were fine and worthy of discussion. I didn't think it was off topic at all. It was the Hand Tools Forum right? All good!
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Nice job on that handle Randy. I'm in exactly the same boat with a saw I inherited from my dad. The handle is cracked in a couple of places & is missing a chunk. But I'd like to 'restore' rather than remanufacture the handle. It's got some ornamental designs on the sides that I was always thought were so cool when I was a little kid 'helping' dad with his work. I want to keep that in the handle.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
              Working...
              X