Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain silo house build

Hey all,

I’m in the early planning stages of converting an old grain silo into a guest house on my property. Just curious if anyone has any experience with anything like this? Or where I can be directed too for more information?

These are generally the details on how I want to build this. I am hoping to keep this as ‘off grid’ as possible.

Hydro- I would like to use solar panels to power the majority of the electrical, and depending on the load required I would like to put in some kind of electric in floor heating system.

Insulation- 2x4 stud walls to line the interior of the shell, about 2” off the steel wall and then spray foamed to give 5.5” of insulation.

Heating- Woodstove and in floor heating (hopefully)

Plumbing - I would like to use 2 300 gallon totes stacked outside the grain bin, collecting rain water and going through a filtration system in order to be used for the main water supply for the kitchen and bathroom.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions on ways to make this project happen, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Grain silo house build

Is this a steel grain bin? What diameter?

Comment

Probably best to post a couple of photos and tell us where you really live so that we can make appropriate suggestions. (we don't all live in Utopia...)
      Yeti likes this.

Comment

It is possible to use solar collectors and vacuum tubes for in floor heating. But needing in floor heat and a wood-stove, makes me think 2 water tanks outside in the winter might freeze up. Just my 2 cents and worth as much.
        Sorry I don't know where to direct you.
        Donna,
        Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Id be more worried about an escape hatch.
          • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Why only 2x4, and not 2x6?

Noel
            "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "
            John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

If you proceed I hope you will post progress pics and a build thread. It would be very interesting to follow along.
              Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

I hope you have the sun shine at night in Utopia, if you want electrical in floor heating, maybe do some checking how and why people do use hot water for in floor heating.

Collect rain water and store it inside to keep it from freezing and use a (outside) wood stove with fluid circulation to heat for floor heating and domestic hot water use, use separate coils in tanks or other setups.

There is lots of info on line, just look it up, heres one that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PL0yBdvSxA
                Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-01-2018, 12:17 PM.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                  Why only 2x4, and not 2x6?
                  Noel
                  "Insulation- 2x4 stud walls to line the interior of the shell, about 2” off the steel wall and then spray foamed to give 5.5” of insulation."

I'd assume the walls are not structural (though probably load bearing in a multifloor design), and with the added 2" spacing, they get the same space to be insulated, but only need to buy 2x4's instead of 2x6's.
                  beachburl likes this.
                  [insert something witty here]

Comment

If its to be used only as a guesthouse occasionally, and not heated 24/7 during the winter, there might be a freezing situation with water, inside or outside. Even with insulation, but no heat, the temp will eventually equalize with outside. Leos suggestion of an outside wood stove and hot water circulation sound about right.
                    Me: How do you spell “apathy”?
                    Reply: Who cares!

Comment

About time the OP returns to answer questions.
                      Rob

Comment

Gonna be a lot of stairs...

Click image for larger version

Name:	serveimage?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wptv.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fplayhouse-built-on-kentucky-silo-by-grandfather-rusty-combs&ua=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3M7IFU7IFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgNS4yOyBlbi1VUykgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTMyLjkgKEtIVE1MLCBsaWtlIEdlY2tvKSBDaHJvbWUvNj
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1202798
                        Last edited by the_other_ken; 10-02-2018, 09:40 AM.
                        Steve in Ayr likes this.
                        the other Ken
                        ------
                        "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Originally posted by the_other_ken View Post
                          Gonna be a lot of stairs...

Click image for larger version

Name:	serveimage?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wptv.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fplayhouse-built-on-kentucky-silo-by-grandfather-rusty-combs&ua=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3M7IFU7IFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgNS4yOyBlbi1VUykgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTMyLjkgKEtIVE1MLCBsaWtlIEdlY2tvKSBDaHJvbWUvNj
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1202798
                          Great view though!
                          Wally in Calgary likes this.
                          http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Working...
                          X