This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an overarm guard on a tablesaw

Hi, I've wanted to install an overarm guard on my saw since I purchased it.

My present saw is a Hammer B3 Winner which has been a great saw, however being at the lower end of the food chain, Felder do not offer an overarm guard for this machine.

I purchased a King Model 1014 Excelsior Blade Cover which covers saws from 10" to 14" diameter blades. I need a 14" guard for my saw, although it only uses a maximum of a 12" blade, the extra length is required to cover the scoring saw.

The Excelsior guard is meant for a table saw with a rip capacity up to 52 inches, which makes it too large for my saw. So after buying a $450 dollar guard, the obvious thing to do is to take it apart and start sawing up the pieces.

I cut 220mm from the outer tube and 280mm from the inner tube and de-burred the edges with a file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting the exterior tube.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,014.8 KB
ID:	1094257Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting the inner tube.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1094258

Next up, mounting the guard to the saw.............Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-17-2017, 08:21 AM.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Installing an overarm guard on a tablesaw

After cutting the arm components to length and re-assembling them, it's time to attach the mounting bracket to your saw table. The instructions that come with the guard don't apply to sliding saw as the blade is much closer to the front of the cabinet than on a traditional saw.

I mounted the bracket to the saw with C clamps to check position, and then marked the saw for drilling. One item to note is the large black pin that the arm mounts to, should be below the table for a sliding saw so it doesn't interfere with cross cuts. This is not true of conventional saws as the bracket is mounted near the rear edge of the saw table.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mounting Bracket View.jpg Views:	1 Size:	805.8 KB ID:	1094656Click image for larger version  Name:	Mounting bracket height.jpg Views:	1 Size:	820.4 KB ID:	1094657 Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Installation.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1094660

The bracket also has on a conventional saw, two tension straps that tie the guard bracket to the saw body, this provides counter-torque to balance the arm moment. On my saw I had to cut the bracket, and only needed one.

That's it for the modification and installation of the guard on a small saw. It's almost identical to the installation I did years ago on my General 650. It will be nice to have a guard for non through cuts again.

This guard is very easy to use, and a single locking knob allows the entire arm and guard to swing away for blade changes which is useful on a contractor or cabinet saw. On my saw it will be useful when I want to use the shaper.

Next up, a couple of views of the blade cover, including the scoring saw. This is why I needed a guard for 14" blades, once you add the scoring saw, there's a long area to be guarded. I've ordered the riving knife for my saw from Hammer, it doesn't project above the blade so it can remain installed for non through cuts, improving my safety.....Regards, Rod.

Click image for larger version  Name:	View of Blade Guard.jpg Views:	1 Size:	689.2 KB ID:	1094658Click image for larger version  Name:	Scoring saw blade.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1094659
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
    X