Shapeoko 3 xxl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shapeoko 3 xxl

I just ordered the Shapeoko 3xxl and waiting for it to arrive .. Im watching youtube videos on how to program it etc.

I wondered if there was anyone in Southern Ontario that has one and wanted to teach me a bit!

I'm from Waterloo Region (Kitchener)

thanks!!

Derek
    Instagram:
    @gardners_garage
    YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-..._as=subscriber

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shapeoko 3 xxl

Following...

I'm going to be setting up a CNC in my shop, and the XXL is the one I've decided on. Need to get through a couple months of backlog before I can pull the trigger, though.
    Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

Yeah, I finally bit the bullet .. I did a lot of reviews, it seemed better then the x-carve .. I know there are better ones out there.. but for a hobbiest I think its the best choice. It seems that a lot of people teach them selves through youtube or manuals so it can't be that hard ... its just nice to have someone show you sometimes

Comment

I hope you enjoy the adventure. My family all still lives in Kitchener, perhaps next time I'm over that way we can get together.

I just pulled the pin on an X-carve 750, right before christmas. I finally chose it over ther Shapeoko for 3 reasons.

1st- was the price. With the free shipping they had and coupon I had, It was quite a bit cheaper. With a bunch of accessories and bits, I got it home for just under $2200CDN incld HST. I chose the 750 because of shop constraints and intended use. If I could go back, I would have gotten the 1000.

2nd- The second was the community forum. It is full of useful information and help, wether your an x-carve owner or not. There are a lot of Shapeok, as well as other brand users, including custom builders. Through the group I realized that the X-carve was highly modifiable. It gave me a great place to start, with the ability to upgrade it as I require and $$ allow.

3rd- There is a couple just up the road from me that have a thriving business using the X-carve. They are the evil pair that lead me into this rabbit hole .

The only thing that I'm not fussy on, is the internet reliant software. But I don't think it will be long until I out grow it and use other software such as V-carve pro and fusion 360, and a g-code sender.

I'm just learning myself, but if you ever want to bounce ideas, give me a shout.

Darrin

Timber Elegance
        My Etsy Store

Comment

There is an interesting discussion on Sawmill Creek that might be worth reading even though you have made your decisions. The software pros and cons opinions and accuracy points might be helpful.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....or-Woodworkers

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
            There is an interesting discussion on Sawmill Creek that might be worth reading even though you have made your decisions. The software pros and cons opinions and accuracy points might be helpful.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....or-Woodworkers
            Very interesting read. As was mentioned in a few of the comments, all the "dream requirements" counter act each other. Especially where price is concerned.

I realize, that compared to a 5K machine, the X-carve is like an inexpensive contractor saw to an entry level cabinet saw. My purchase was based on price. I know there is better, but the way the machine is built, I can do upgrades as I see fit. There is a steep learning curve when it comes to CNC. You can jump in and do things right at the start, but there is a ton to learn if you want to get the most out. That is where I am at. This is a learning tool, that is actually quite accurate. It does require more tweeking a fiddling, but I consider that learning experience.

The software is a whole other issue. The X-carve software is great to get you cutting immediately, but I know I will be using other software shortly. I have Fusion 360 installed, and am trying to learn as I have time.

Here is an example of what can be done with an (albeit modified) X-carve and 3rd party software (I think it is Vcarve Pro)??
            Click image for larger version

Name:	22f7afc745ef8470e59465df9aba92a92566070e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1161251
            Darrin

Timber Elegance
            My Etsy Store

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X