Router Bowl MMXVIII

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Bowl MMXVIII

Finished this project a couple of weeks ago but didnít have time to make a thread.

The Bowl and Tray bit and extension I purchased came with a couple of templates so I thought Iíd try one of them out.

I learned last year that there is a lot of sanding. I hate sanding. So I ordered a combo sander this fall.

Next was the glue-up of a maple and walnut blank. This was in two stages since my stock wasnít wide enough.

Contd...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Router Bowl MMXVIII

After initial layout, it was time to take out most of the waste with a forstner bit. Easier, safer, and less wear and tear on the router bit.

Itís important to avoid going too deep or getting to close to the line, as the router bit wonít be able to clean up the dimples and squared edges.

Itís also a good idea to chisel out anything the forstner bit couldnít remove.

Another important consideration is any small diameters that canít be accessed by the bowl and tray bit. A good idea is to use a forstner bit at least as large as the router bit to help avoid drilling something you canít clean up later.

To keep the router from tipping, an extra large base was created. The bowl was routed in halves using the same template flipped.

Contd...

Comment

Next step, use a compass and trace the outside of the bowl, then head to the bandsaw.

Itís important that you donít get to close to the line. Leave enough excess so that you can sand out the bandsaw marks with coarse grit, then work through to a fine grit.

I was surprised at how quickly the combo sander hogged away the excess material.

Along with the combo sander, I used a drum sander on the drill press, hand sanding and a ROS.

Top edges were eased with a 1/8Ē roundover bit at the router table.

After final detail sanding, I applied a couple of coats of tung oil.

Thanks for viewing.

Groovin Rubin, beachburl and redlee like this.

Comment

Nestor..I particularly like the book matched bottom. Nice work, Roy
        Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
        X