Satin/Semi Gloss Epoxy finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Satin/Semi Gloss Epoxy finish?

You have a beautiful piece of wood shown above. I hope that it turned out looking as great as I think it will. Me personally, I have done similar projects. I've always been told to sand the epoxy between layers. It seems to work well for me. I use http://liquidglassepoxyresin.com/. Even when applying multiple layers or adding a bit of stain before applying it, I've never had any problems. Once I even made a table with photographs in it. Turned out beautiful!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I've had good results rubbing out epoxy finishes all the way from flat to high gloss. I use mainly System 3 Mirror Coat which is intended as a bartop finish but I've also gotten good results using regular ol' West System. The trick is to allow it to cure for at least 3 weeks before attempting to avoid the epoxy being 'gummy'. What I did to determine when the finish was sufficiently hard that the abrasives cut and opposed to gum up was to finish some small samples out of the same batch that I used periodically to test for hardness. Once the abrasive cut the I was able to start levelling the finish and got through the grits to 1600 grit then moved on to Menzerna pastes.

Comment

I have used a epoxy bench top coating on a top in my kitchen, I gave it 2 coats but it did say 3 is better, its been in place over 2 years now, the joints in the dark wood around the compass point are now showing through which is difficult to understand as they were glued up with PVA the Douglas Fir and the compass point were glued to a 18mm sheet of MDF so there should be no movement as the top material is about 6mm thick, now when I run my hand over the surface I can feel the lines of those joints and in the light I see them, it is a difficult product to use and I believe you will see movement as the wood you are using is not stable it will telegraph through to the top surface, if you were able to apply a vacuum to the back side and pull the epoxy into the wood you may be able to firm up some of it, maybe put the whole piece in a bag an apply a vacuum to see if you can impregnate the whole piece before you apply the top coat.
        Someone here must know about doing this.

Comment

Working...
        X