Type of Sprayer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Sprayer

I am looking at purchasing a sprayer to spray stains as well as paint both acrylic and latex. I am looking for advice on the type of sprayer that would work the best??
    Obviously I am looking at a HVLP unit but should I buy a totally enclosed unit or a spray gun to work off of an air compressor? Should it be a gravity unit?

Looking for advice from you experienced woodworkers out there?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Type of Sprayer

If you already have a good compressor, suitably large enough, then buying a gun to use for the compressor will be cheaper. But if you don't have a compressor, a standalone HVLP will cost less.

Spraying thick materials like household paint is a challenge for gravity guns - hard to get sufficient material flow without thinning the paint excessively. It can be done but you might want to consider a gun with a pressure cup if that's something you'll do regularly.
    Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

I have had very good luck with a Fuji minimite 4 with a pressurized gravity cup. Certain water borne paints do not spray well, whether thinned with water or with Floetrol.

Comment

IMHO, if you want to spray paint and get good results, get an airless.
        It's what they are designed for, and on the better models you can get tips etc that allow you to spray thinner stuff such as stains. Depends what you will be spraying more of I guess.
        Thinning paint to get it to flow through an underpowerd system is a disaster in the making IMO

Paul

Comment

I had concluded that airless was the way to go but I am looking for something a bit less expensive than Fuji and Earlex. Not sure if this is possible?

Comment

As far as I know Fuji and Earlex only make turbine driven HVLP systems. These are not the same as an airless system. May I suggest you google "airless paint spraying systems".

Comment

We need some specifics in order to get you in the right direction
              You mention spraying stain. Are you staining furniture/cabinets or a fence/deck. Either way let us know the product you intend to work with.
              Spraying Latex paint. Again are you paint walls or cabinets/furniture. Latex can be spray with something other than airless but needs to be thinned to make it work. Often you are better to go with a product designed to be sprayed.
              Spraying stain and spraying Latex are both sprayed but are very different products and need to be applied differently.
              You mention some thing priced below Earlex, what is your budget?
              Mark
              www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

I agree with Paul that we need more info on your requirements, as there's a huge difference between applying stain and applying paint.

For example, if you're spraying mostly low viscosity (what most call "thin") finishes such as the stain you mention, or any of the usual waterborne products (examples are Target Coating's sander/sealer, lacquer, varnish or polyurethane) most here on this forum are wanting to apply, then HVLP systems will work just fine. However, the very high viscosity (what most call "thick") finishes such as latex paint cannot be effectively atomized by HVLP systems without thinning by 25% with water then adding Floetrol to get back some of the leveling out characteristics that were lost when it was thinned out. Even then you've dramatically altered the chemistry the paint manufacturer engineered in the product and cannot therefore expect results to be anywhere close to what you'll get with a simple roller or brush. Just to reinforce this issue of spraying latex paint, even Fuji, who as far as I'm concerned makes the best HVLP turbine systems on the market today, recommends against HVLP for that application. They'll recommend you rent a unit from one of the big box stores, which is designed specifically for spraying house paint.

Hope ths helps, but again, let us know what percentage of type of finish you're planning to apply, as well as the price range you're looking at, and then we can give you some more specific recommendations.
                Last edited by MartyFromKingston; 04-21-2017, 06:42 AM.
                marpy p likes this.
                All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans (formerly Kingston Woodworkers Ass'n) Website: https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/
                & member of the Kingston Woodturners Association

Comment

Thanks Marty, this really explains the information that I required to make my decision.

Comment

I've been spraying various finishes on furniture for almost 20 years using several different HVLP conversion guns driven by my compressor. I have had good luck spraying acrylic paints with some thinning (maybe 10-20%) without requiring any other additives. For spraying paint, I am using a gravity feed gun with a 2.2mm tip (Asturomec 9011 HVLP). I would not want to paint a house or even a room, but I have sprayed doors, dressers, shutters, several hundred feet of trim along with the items shown in the attached photos.

When choosing paint, I look for something with lower viscosity since that requires less thinning. The latest dresser that I painted was done with an Insl-X urethane acrylic paint called cabinet-coat and it produced a beautiful finish. The multi-colour benches in one of the photos were done with General Finishes milk paint from Jeff at WoodEssence (http://www.woodessence.com/General-F...-P4364C64.aspx) and then top coated with General Finishes Enduro-poly. Note that this is really an acrylic paint rather than a milk paint. You can also check out my article in issue #103 (Aug/Sept 2016) of CWHI to see some photos of a bench I sprayed with the same yellow milk paint.

For spraying poly, I use a Walcom SLIM HVLP gravity feed gun with either a 1.7mm or a 1.9mm tip. (http://www.woodessence.com/Walcom-SL...n-P104C54.aspx)

For spraying shellac or thin stains, I use a Walcom detail gun with a 1.2mm tip.

If I was starting over, I would just buy the Walcom SLIM gun with a 2.2mm tip for paints, a 1.9mm tip for poly and a 1.3mm tip for shellac and stains.

Good luck with your decision,
                    David

Comment

Hey, David,

Great info; thanks for sharing it with us! Can you be more difinitive about your thinning of acrylic paints, as "maybe 10-20%" is pretty vague? Based on your comments, though, you've tried several different acrylic paints, so I guess you've been playing around to find out what worked best for each.

Could you please let us know what the specs are on your air compressor? I'd be most interested in the SCFM and tank size.

I had a look at the link you'd provided to your Walcom guns. You're the first person I've heard who's provided some feedback on them, so, again, thanks for sharing this with us.

Where'd you get your Asturomec 9011 HVLP gun? I went onto the manufacturer's website and they made it sound as though it's got some RP (reduced pressure) gun characteristics rather than simply being an HVLP conversion gun. I'd be interested in hearing more about how it works out with your compressor.

Good work on that article, too, David! As I'd mentioned to you previously, I really enjoyed reading it.

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
                      I've been spraying various finishes on furniture for almost 20 years using several different HVLP conversion guns driven by my compressor. I have had good luck spraying acrylic paints with some thinning (maybe 10-20%) without requiring any other additives. For spraying paint, I am using a gravity feed gun with a 2.2mm tip (Asturomec 9011 HVLP). I would not want to paint a house or even a room, but I have sprayed doors, dressers, shutters, several hundred feet of trim along with the items shown in the attached photos.

When choosing paint, I look for something with lower viscosity since that requires less thinning. The latest dresser that I painted was done with an Insl-X urethane acrylic paint called cabinet-coat and it produced a beautiful finish. The multi-colour benches in one of the photos were done with General Finishes milk paint from Jeff at WoodEssence (http://www.woodessence.com/General-F...-P4364C64.aspx) and then top coated with General Finishes Enduro-poly. Note that this is really an acrylic paint rather than a milk paint. You can also check out my article in issue #103 (Aug/Sept 2016) of CWHI to see some photos of a bench I sprayed with the same yellow milk paint.

For spraying poly, I use a Walcom SLIM HVLP gravity feed gun with either a 1.7mm or a 1.9mm tip. (http://www.woodessence.com/Walcom-SL...n-P104C54.aspx)

For spraying shellac or thin stains, I use a Walcom detail gun with a 1.2mm tip.

If I was starting over, I would just buy the Walcom SLIM gun with a 2.2mm tip for paints, a 1.9mm tip for poly and a 1.3mm tip for shellac and stains.

Good luck with your decision,
                      David
                      All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans (formerly Kingston Woodworkers Ass'n) Website: https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Comment

I bought an Earlex HV1900 for approx $200 and did the dining room with latex and it did a great job,

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                          Hey, David,

Great info; thanks for sharing it with us! Can you be more difinitive about your thinning of acrylic paints, as "maybe 10-20%" is pretty vague? Based on your comments, though, you've tried several different acrylic paints, so I guess you've been playing around to find out what worked best for each.

Could you please let us know what the specs are on your air compressor? I'd be most interested in the SCFM and tank size.

I had a look at the link you'd provided to your Walcom guns. You're the first person I've heard who's provided some feedback on them, so, again, thanks for sharing this with us.

Where'd you get your Asturomec 9011 HVLP gun? I went onto the manufacturer's website and they made it sound as though it's got some RP (reduced pressure) gun characteristics rather than simply being an HVLP conversion gun. I'd be interested in hearing more about how it works out with your compressor.

Good work on that article, too, David! As I'd mentioned to you previously, I really enjoyed reading it.

Hi Marty,
                          As far as thinning paint, it depends so much on the particular paint that it is hard to be precise with the amount of water I add. My process is to start with about 10% water and stir it in thoroughly and then see how it runs off the stir stick. If it appears too thick (which at 10%, it usually does), I add more water until it looks thin enough to atomize. Not very precise, I know but it has worked quite well. Starting with a paint that is not too thick is what I have found to be the key. I'll try to measure the exact amount of water I add the next time I spray paint and I can post a follow-up.

My compressor is a Delta single stage unit that I bought at Costco, of all places. It has a 60 gallon tank and puts out 9.4 SCFM at 90psi. The compressor has no problems keeping up even if I spray continuously with any of my guns. My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy so I typically wear hearing protection. I've attached a photo of the front of the manual.

As I alluded to in the original post, I love the Walcom SLIM guns. The fit and finish is outstanding, they are not too large or heavy and the end result has been excellent. The Asturomec 9011 is made by the same company as the Walcom, but it is a lower end unit. It is slightly larger than the SLIM gun and the fit and finish is not as nice, but it still sprays well. I got it from Jeff Jewitt in the US before I knew about WoodEssense. I'm not sure about the reduced pressure aspect of the gun since I have only used it with my big compressor which has no problems supplying the air.

Let me know the next time you are in the KW area and I can show you the guns and the compressor in action.

Thanks for the comments on the articles. Keep an eye on your mailbox for some future articles as well.

Best regards,
                          David

Comment

Thanks for all that info, David. Getting back to your air compressor, what'd you do for filters, and, for end-of-day draining?
                            All the best,

Marty

Comment

Marty,
                              I previously used an inline filter like the one shown below between my hose and my gun to remove moisture from the line. I did this for a number of years, but never noticed any condensation in the filter so I now just connect the hose directly to my gun. It may help that, other than shellac, I am only spraying water based finishes.

When I am done spraying for the day, I connect a leaky air chuck to the end of my hose and it drains the compressor in a couple of hours. I like this approach since it does not blow dust all over the garage and it is a lot quieter then letting the air escape at full pressure. I have a ball valve at the bottom of my compressor that I open to let any water drain.

I should also mention that I don't have any permanent air plumbing for my compressor - I connect my hose directly to the regulator at the output of my compressor.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X