Coconut Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oil

Hello, i heard that some people are using coconut oil as rub on to seal cutting boards, has anyone here tried this, how long does this finish last? I would imagine it would be washed off after some time of use.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Coconut Oil

I guess .... it's possible, but I would be concerned about it spoiling/rotting unless it's modified in some way. If you feel the need to "seal" your cutting boards there are several tried and tested oil finishes available. Some of us prefer not to seal at all.

Comment

You already know this method, but what I do is spread on a thick coat of pure Mineral oil and let it sit overnight, then the next morning just rub it in a bit and wipe of any excess. Lasts for months. I do wooden knife handles too.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

Nothing wrong with coconut oil IMO. Just about the same as olive oil or any other vegetable oil, basically edible and safe. Some consider mineral oil to be food safe but it is a class 3 carcinogen.
          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by smallerstick View Post
            Nothing wrong with coconut oil IMO. Just about the same as olive oil or any other vegetable oil, basically edible and safe.
            How do you keep it from rotting while it sits out in room temperatures on the cutting board?

Comment

Some consider mineral oil to be food safe but it is a class 3 carcinogen.
              WHAT?!?!?

I was wrongly informed then. Thanks for pointing this out.
              Last edited by John Bartley; 05-19-2017, 07:31 AM. Reason: fixed quotes

Comment

Some consider mineral oil to be food safe but it is a class 3 carcinogen.
                Originally posted by sophien View Post

WHAT?!?!?

I was wrongly informed then. Thanks for pointing this out.
                Wow, maybe we should be careful about how much dihydrogen oxide we get on our cutting boards too! After all, they get soaked with it every day.

From what I can read, a Class 3 carcinogen is a substance which has not been proven thru' testing to be either harmful or safe. That class of carcinogen includes Coffee, Talc, Chlorinated drinking water (dihydrogen oxide), electric fields, flourescent lights...... etc, etc.

Comment

Imagine the class action Law suits the bottom feeding Lawyers would have if they were proven carcinogens.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

How do you keep it from rotting while it sits out in room temperatures on the cutting board?
                    I don't use coconut oil on cutting boards but I do use it for cooking. generally it comes in quite a large jar from Costco and lasts many many months (more than half a year) without ever going "off" or rancid.
                    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn from Winnipeg View Post

I don't use coconut oil on cutting boards but I do use it for cooking. generally it comes in quite a large jar from Costco and lasts many many months (more than half a year) without ever going "off" or rancid.
                      I also use it for cooking. I like the flavour better with the sausages I fry up for sandwiches. But, I keep that in the fridge and it is a solid at that temperature. I did some reading on Coconut oils before I started to use it for cooking and I gather there are a couple of different ways to process it. If I recall correctly the stuff that is safe for human consumption is cold pressed and filtered, like olive oil, and the stuff that does not go rancid is steam extracted (cooked), which causes it to be unsafe?

The problem with trying to get answers to these questions is that the web if full of "opinions" and it's tough to separate the facts from the guesses.

Comment

I agree with you John. I only use the cold pressed stuff. The coconut oil I buy from Costco stays solid (but soft) when kept on the counter at current temps. The previous brand I had turned liquid in summer.
                        Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Wow, maybe we should be careful about how much dihydrogen oxide we get on our cutting boards too! After all, they get soaked with it every day.

From what I can read, a Class 3 carcinogen is a substance which has not been proven thru' testing to be either harmful or safe. That class of carcinogen includes Coffee, Talc, Chlorinated drinking water (dihydrogen oxide), electric fields, flourescent lights...... etc, etc.
                          Absolutely right, John, that is what class 3 is. Unrefined mineral oil is a class 1 carcinogen; proven to be carcinogenic. The reason refined mineral oil is class 3 is that there is no guarantee the refining process has been effective in removing potential carcinogens because no testing has been done. Not quite the same thing as coffee, talc etc.

I have used coconut oil with beeswax as a cutting board treatment although I now prefer hemp oil and beeswax. Hemp oil will cure like linseed oil or tung oil eliminating the possibility of rancidity. It's just as effective as a surface treatment as any of the others
                          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

The reason refined mineral oil is class 3 is that there is no guarantee the refining process has been effective in removing potential carcinogens because no testing has been done. Not quite the same thing as coffee, talc etc.
                            They're all in there together ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._3_carcinogens

Comment

Working...
                            X