Shellac under Spar Varnish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shellac under Spar Varnish

Anyone have experience using shellac as a sealer under spar varnish? In particular Pettit Marine Z Spar 2015 Flagship Marine Varnish. I'm finishing a ship's wheel with poplar spindles and want to give the poplar a more amber tone. I was thinking of using amber or garnet Brooklyn Tool & Craft De-Waxed Shellac Flakes from Lee Valley. The instructions on the Z Spar can call for using Z Spar S-120 clear wood sealer. Are they just promoting their own product?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shellac under Spar Varnish

I used dewaxed blond shellac as a sealer under spar varnish on all the wood windows, patio doors and window trims I build for my house. They were build from old Douglas fir and didn't want problems with possible resin pockets. 8 years old and no problems. I put another coat of spar varnish last year.
    Chris
    I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

I don't use sealer under spar varnish on my paddles and such since it is unnecessary IMO. If you want the spindles to have a bit of colour, perhaps dye them prior to varnishing?

Another thought on the subject

Ken

Comment

Thanks Chris, picked up some shellac flakes and solvent from Lee Valley yesterday, it's dissolving now and I'll start a test once it's ready. Based on another trusted source it should be compatible and if not the incompatibility should show up immediately.
        Thanks Ken, I've also used spar varnish directly on paddles with no problem. In this case I want to change the colour and the varnish manufacturer recommends a sealer coat so I think I can do both with the amber shellac. I'll report back on my results.

Comment

Shellac is compatible with most other finishes. Spar varnish is among them and it is used as sealer in marine applications. Make sure you cover shellac well with varnish is shelac will be obliterated if exposed to water directly.
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Thanks Darius, I'll be sure to completely cover the shellac with 3 to 4 coats of varnish.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X