Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood not accepting stain

Originally posted by SputnikRSS View Post
    Well I have a few different methods to try now so I will post the results of my misadventures.

For the cradle it will be kept in the family each new baby gets the cradle for a while and their name etched in one of the mattress slats. Hopefully it will still be around long after I am gone.
    Now that is a nice idea. Why didn't I think of this years ago... In response to the staining and finishing of wood, I personally find it more exacting and frustrating than building a fine piece of furniture. I tend to stick to what I know and do not deviate very much. Everytime I do, I experience another learning curve. Most of what I do tends to be natural color with a clear finish. If staining is necessary, depending of the type of wood, I'll use shellac as a sealer. I use light colors and mostly dyes. If a dark color is necessary, I still use dyes and gel stains, always sand to 150 or 180 top and usually lose a lot of sleep.
    Chris
    I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

So tried the 150 grit with a light water mist method first as it seemed it would be the quickest to try.

This is on the same piece pictured in the first post that I re sanded down to 100 then 120 >> 150 then lightly mist with some filtered water.

Came out good no more light splotches so I continued on with this method for the rest of the boards and had no more issues. Only thing was obviously it requires more sanding later on to bring it back up to a smoother finish and since the board seems to be absorbing more stain it is a little darker than previous pieces done at 180.

Thanks for the help now just have to finish the rest of the bed.

Comment

Looks good ... nice work!

Comment

Structural testing began on the upper bunk and so far so good. The crew even threw in a couple tests I wasn't expecting.

Comment

They seem to like it a lot... so do I.
            Chris
            I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Done good!
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by SputnikRSS View Post
                Structural testing began on the upper bunk and so far so good. The crew even threw in a couple tests I wasn't expecting.
                Priceless! You should get those printed, one for each sprout and start a memories binder for them.

Comment

Working...
                X