QS White Oak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QS White Oak

Have about 15 bf of QS white oak that I would like to use for a project. What is/are the possible method(s) of highlighting the fleck grain? Roy
    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: QS White Oak

Roy,
    I have not done much work with QS white oak, but all of the reading I have done talks about using a fumed ammonia technique to bring out the colour and grain in the wood. FWW have a number of articles on fuming and I am sure there are others online. Obviously, you need to be very careful with the ammonia fumes.

Good luck and post some photos when you are done.

David

Comment

I have done a few projects with 1/4 white oak and while I haven't fumed any, I have used a few different stains. One thing I think you'll find is, white oak is great to work with, sands nicely and stains like a dream. Always had good results. I have also used Lee Valley dyes for some great results, the rosewood was my favorite. The easiest stain I used was a solvent based product by M L Campbell, but its availability might pose a problem for you. Whatever method you chose, DO TEST BOARDS before committing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00175.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	6.32 MB
ID:	1142459

Initial coat of Honeytone Amber Aniline dye, then Old Masters Special Walnut gel stain, then WB lacquer.
        Attached Files
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Some good videos on u tube on finishing white oak. They are worth the time. BW

Comment

Roy, as others have said white oak is (usually) really good to stain/finish. If you want the look of fumed oak without the hassle of dealing with ammonia, check out John E Goudey "Fumed Oak" stain. It works really well and produces a very nice looking colour contrast. If you were closer I have a couple cans of it that you could try. You could also check if Goudey has anyone in your neck of the woods that carries their products. If not, give Randy's method a try.

Good luck
            Paul

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks to all who have replied. Had read of the fuming technique some time ago, but will not be trying on this project as it is now too cool to do outdoors. Will test a few of the stain procedures suggested...... Thanks, Roy
              Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
              X