Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up / refinishing kitchen furniture

Hello

The kitchen cabinets, table, and chairs all came with the house I bought a couple of years ago. I haven't inspected them with a magnifying glass until recently when I thought I should.

The cabinets still look in reasonable shape, except a couple (especially the one under the sink) which may need some new finishing coat on top.

The table top still looks good but the legs are starting to peel.

Supposedly the table and chairs were commissioned to match the cabinets. That's what I was told, I don't know any more than that.

How can I tell what was used to finish these? I guess urethane isn't supposed to be used on a kitchen table? But was probably wouldn't have lasted this long without a reapplication? The table top gets a lot of use every day.

Is mineral spirits the thing to use to clean these? Some of the cabinets are greasy for sure, we do cook in this kitchen.

Is it possible that the sides and fronts of the cabinets aren't finished the same way? I'm assuming the sides are particle board with veneer whilethe fronts are solid wood.

Thanks in advance.
    Andrew Smith
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cleaning up / refinishing kitchen furniture

As the finish has yellowed with time chances are high that it's either a polyurethane or an NC lacquer, although there are other possibilities like an early CAB. Get some lacquer thinners and dab some on in an inconspicuous place, if the finish goes soft or dissolves it's NC (or a similar solvent based material), if it's not affected then it's most likely poly.
    IMO Mineral Spirits (or even paint thinner) is always a good general purpose cleaner, and one I use all the time to clean most furniture prior to stripping/refinishing. Have plenty of clean rags on hand and keep wiping it down until new rags no longer come up dirty. For kitchen stuff I use either Naptha or Toluene, sometime Xylene depending how dirty/greasy it is, which are much stronger solvents but are also more hazardous and difficult to purchase.
    Without seeing the cabinets I can't answer your last question, but in the finishing world, anything is possible!!

Good luck
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 11-14-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks Paul, I'll go get some lacquer thinner and try it out.
      Andrew Smith

Comment

I like vinegar is a spray bottle for a good Eco friendly kitchen cleaner.

I agree with Paul, it's probably laquer or oil based poly.
        The colour is spot on for old oil based poly.

I don't think they make it anymore so I don't know what you could put overtop.

You might be into furniture stripper and a total refinish.

Nathan

Comment

I don't think they make it anymore so I don't know what you could put overtop.
          Isn't Spar an oil-based poly?
          Andrew Smith

Comment

I was also wondering if maybe it's not poly because as a kitchen table it gets abused a lot and I'd expect poly to get all scratched up. Or not necessarily?
            Andrew Smith

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post

Isn't Spar an oil-based poly?
              Most spar varnish are now poly base that will retain some degree of elasticity. In earlier days, spar varnish was a varnish. It featured a higher solid ratio and again, a higher elasticity to prevent cracking. I would think they also offer some UV resistance. I used both type in the past and would not use any for indoor furniture due to the difficulty in getting a even flat finish. Great for outdoor products of course.
              Chris
              I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Good quality oil based poly is still available, it's just much harder to find in Canada than it used to be. I picked up a gal of Old Masters a couple months ago from my finish distributor.
                Old style polyurethane, much like modern finishes, came in different degrees of toughness for different jobs. If the stuff on the table is an old floor finish (eg Fabulon) it won't show much wear and tear compared to a can of Minwax from the hardware store. There was also a "bar-top" NC lacquer that had coconut oil in it that was as tough as a polyurethane but could be sprayed far more easily and was often used on table tops. Both would yellow and give the look/colour shown in the pictures.

Paul
                Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

didnt use that a lot over the years but recently did a test sample, Deft was the brand. Cant remember where I got it maybe Goudey. Slow to dry leaves me thinking it wont but it does and its very hard. Friend used it last few times he put new floors in that he made.

Comment

Working...
                  X