Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY paint booth - got tired of overspray on everything.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY paint booth - got tired of overspray on everything.

A few pics of my almost finished diy paint booth

2" Central vac tubing ($7 for a 10' length), about 30 wyes and about 8 90deg elbows. All in, including the box fans is about 300 bucks. The top 'loop' of tubing is all glued as is the bottom loop. The verticals aren't glued in at the tops and bottoms so I can collapse it flat.

Dimensions are about 10' wide x 7.5' deep x 7.5' tall.

Fans are setup for a positive pressure flowing from left to right and will have furnace filters in front of them sealed with tuck tape to the surrounding poly. Exhaust side will be 2 layers of filters: a layer of cheap fiberglass style woven filters in front of a set of slightly more restrictive filters.

I'm getting sick and tired of overspray everywhere in my shop when I do spray stains so this is more a setup to keep large dust bunnies off things I'm finishing and stop the clouds of overspray from settling everywhere. And yes, will need to be careful with sources of ignition in the shop - wont be anything I've already dealt with in terms of lights on, hvlp turbine buzzing away, etc. The box fans will be blowing air into the booth and are brushless so the risk of ignition is as low as I can make it for the amount of work I'm doing ; its not production work. Extra lighting will be a couple of strips of LED's draped over the top of the booth, outside the plastic. Turbine will be outside the booth.

Anyways, thought I'd share. I've got another piece of poly to put up beside the door and then install a floor piece of 6mil poly and then lots of tuck tape to get a moderate seal. I'm not looking for a hermetic seal, just a good enough to try and force most of the overspray through the filters.

• schor
    replied
    I went a bit bigger one time.

Water mister for expelled air/paint. 24" high cfm fan sucking the air out of the shop.

Painted my van.

Turned out ok.

Leave a comment:

• cstephens
    replied
    So did some spraying yesterday and I can say I'm happy with the results of the DIY booth.

1) spray stain overspray was controlled entirely in the booth. Clear laquer got past the filters somewhat and left the shop a tiny bit hazy, but a crapload less than when I sprayed without a booth setup.

2) I was able to do a couple of batches of pieces, sanding and prepping outside the booth and moving pieces inside to spray. with the fans going I just blew everything down with an airhose run into the booth with the door sealed.

3) working with the airflow moving across my work area really kept the amount of airborne floating overspray down. Filters are still allowing airflow for now.

I have a bunch more batches of cabinet box pieces to do this week. I might have to swap filters again, but at $8 for 2 its not a huge deal. I'll update with some more observations later this week. So far I think the $350-400 was money well spent. I really didn't want to get overspray on my new-to-me Hammer A3-31.

Leave a comment:

• Paul O in Paris
    replied
    Originally posted by cstephens View Post

I have a canvas tarp on that. I've walked in and out a number of times and its not slippery.
    Then you are good to go
    Just remember to shake off the tarp after each job

Leave a comment:

• Matt Matt
    replied
    I’ve built one similar to this a few years ago. I put the exhaust fan close to the ground with a filter intake. I cut a garbage bag so it was kind of like a tube. Garbage bag hooked up to the exhaust of the blower and I sent it under the garage door which was slightly cracked open. The rest of the garage door rested on 1.5 inch insulating tubes for copper pipe. Air was recycled in the top of the crack of the garage door, It got sucked through shop and through an intake filter into the spray booth. I just laid plastic on the floor. It was a little bit slippery until the first spray was finished.

Leave a comment:

• cstephens
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post

Good point Marty, poly sheets on the floor are slippery, especially when overspray or liquid get on them. I use cardboard, which I get from a couple of local appliance stores (washer/dryer or dishwasher boxes are ideal, just cut them and unfold so they form one long strip). No slipping and spills are soaked up really well
    So its wrapped on the floor with poly, but I have a canvas tarp on that. I've walked in and out a number of times and its not slippery.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post

Good point Marty, poly sheets on the floor are slippery, especially when overspray or liquid get on them. I use cardboard, which I get from a couple of local appliance stores (washer/dryer or dishwasher boxes are ideal, just cut them and unfold so they form one long strip). No slipping and spills are soaked up really well
    You can get 4x8 sheets (cardboard) from your local sheet goods supplier and they love to give them away. FWIW JMHO

Leave a comment:

• Paul O in Paris
    replied
    Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
    They don't get slippery and they store away easily.

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    After you get your airflow situation ironed out, I think this will work like a charm. Just one question: what are you planning to put on the floor to protect it? I use some inexpensive 4X8, 1/4" hardboard sheets. They don't get slippery and they store away easily.

Leave a comment:

• cstephens
    replied
    Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    I agree with Bob. Some way to diffuse the incoming air would help.
    Incoming air is from outside the booth. This is a positive pressure booth, ie: the fans are pushing air into the booth and not trying to suck it out. I still need to put some filters on the intake side of the fans

I'm not aiming for high airflow across my material. I'm aiming for a moderately dust bunny free enclosure which will circulate some air through it and trap overspray inside it, or in the cheap furnace filters on the exhaust side (the non-fan side). the two main goals are cut down on dust and keep overspray off my equipment. Also, I'm building a series of cabinet boxes and need to spray all the edgebanding and exposed sides of my boxes and this enclosure will allow me to keep working on other things in my shop and spray a handful of items at a time without having to dust/clean/poly drape the shop every time I want to spray 5 small pieces.

I'll post some observations and conclusions later on once I've used it a bit.

Leave a comment:

• JustSomeGuy
    replied
    I agree with Bob. Some way to diffuse the incoming air would help.

Leave a comment:

• Bob in Weyburn
    replied
    I would suggest you make a poly tube, or similar, to attach to the exit of your fans long enough to lay on the floor for a few feet. Something that would direct all overspray that escapes the filters down to the floor and not floating around in the air might be helpful. BW

Leave a comment:

• Derek S
    replied
    I think you made the right call incorporating two fans. I made something similar with only one box fan with a single cheap 20x20x1 paper type filter taped to the input side of the fan and it doesn't quite pull enough air. It does work, it just doesn't keep up as well as I'd like. Next time I need to use it, I plan to get an additional fan.

The filter doesn't last very long - one project at most before it's clogged. Some droplets of paint did get past the filter somehow - I'm not totally sure how, but I didn't have a very good seal around the fan so my best guess is that it blew out around the opening I had cut for the fan.

Like Don suggests, it definitely works best when the area I'm spraying toward is closer to the fan.

Mine is set up for negative pressure and I use it out on the driveway only and exclusively with waterborne paint and topcoats.

Leave a comment:

• Don Kondra
    replied
    Good start but....

The fans should be exhausting outside

As is, the over spray is just going to recirculate in the "booth"..

Ideally you spray towards the exhaust fan, anything large enough to impact the finish is drawn away.

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X