Dying Wood: Aniline Dye vs. Alternatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dying Wood: Aniline Dye vs. Alternatives

It'd be interesting to see how Target Coatings UV products fare in keeping purpleheart, walnut and such woods retaining their natural colours over time. Anyone done this?
    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by two_halves View Post

Hi Paul,

Yes, I was planning on dying maple to look like purpleheart.
      I am really unsure what to do if dye is going to fade also.

The options I know of are:
      1) I saw one guy talking about baking purpleheart (300*F for 30 min) and then applying UV inhibitors plus a clear stain on top.
      2) Apply UV inhibitors to my purpleheart plus a clear stain on top.
      3) Dye maple purple, then clear stain on top.
      4) Dye maple purple, apply UV inhibitors plus a clear stain on top.

I only started woodworking this past summer, so thank you for your input and anything you can teach me here.
      Maybe nitpicking, but stain is not clear, I think you mean finish as in varnish, polyurethane, shellac etc.

Comment

Originally posted by realkingmixer View Post
        In my experience the UV inhibitors in spar varnish (available at any decent hardware store) are very effective in wood keeping its colour over time. Not sure about the purpleheart application in particular as I've never done it myself. I've got lovely red cedar sitting outside facing harsh western sun -- it's been up well over a decade and is the same beautiful colour today as it was when I put it up. The same original two coats of varnish, too. Use high gloss spar as a finish topcoat -- let it cure well and then rub it out to whatever finish you want. I would personally prefer to do the best I could to protect the purpleheart but no more -- I wouldn't mess with dyes. Hardly anything lasts forever, but who knows what that's going to look like in 10 years? Let the purpleheart speak for itself.
        Where'd you pickup the UV inhibitors from? I called Lee Valley they didn't have any and when I asked where I might find some they didn't know either. Home Depot's website doesn't show anything either. Not sure if I'm searching the wrong thing.

Comment

Exterior finishes like spar varnish contain UV inhibitors. You don't apply them separately (that I know of).

Comment

Originally posted by two_halves View Post

Where'd you pickup the UV inhibitors from? I called Lee Valley they didn't have any and when I asked where I might find some they didn't know either. Home Depot's website doesn't show anything either. Not sure if I'm searching the wrong thing.
            As Kayak Jim mentioned, the product called "spar varnish" contains UV inhibitors. That's one of the things that makes it spar varnish and not some other kind of varnish. Spar varnish is intended for outdoor use. Manufacturers do two things, basically, to qualify a varnish as spar varnish:

1) UV inhibitors to protect the colour of the wood from sunlight; and,
            2) stretchy resins, to better accomodate wood movement.

The resulting varnish is tough, flexible and quite light fast.

It's not an exotic product. All the big box stores carry some kind of varnish intended for outdoor use, usually under the name "spar varnish". About 20 bucks a quart or so. There are some really expensive ones out there, too -- performance might even be better with those, I wouldn't know.

Comment

This is the Minwax spar varnish you can find pretty much anywhere:

Looks like Lee Valley has the water-based General Finishes version (Exterior 450):

Last edited by realkingmixer; 01-17-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I'm to cheap to buy proper wood dyes so I try what ever comes to mind. Not sure exactly what color purple heart is but I dyed this wood with pickle beet juice. The finish is lacquer over it.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_090021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1160691

Comment

Hey; whatever works. Beet juice will stain anything.
                  Rusty likes this.
                  Egon
                  from
                  The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Hell yes Egon. it might even stain your reputation. LOL
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                    X