Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzy surface on my wood handles

Hello Everybody,

I am new to wood finishing and I hope you can give me some insight on this subject.
    I am trying to color wooden handles with two or three layers of black water-based varnish. Once the layers are dry, I dip the handle in an UV curing varnish to achieve a glossy effect.
    My problem is that I always get a fuzzy, wavy surface after putting the UV varnish.
    I tried changing the primer, water-based and UV varnishes formulations, as well as polishing the handles before adding the primer but nothing is working so far.

I can see the waves just after applying the water-based varnish (when it's still wet) or when I dip a colorless wood handle into the UV varnish, so I am thinking that the problem comes from the wood surface. I read that grain raising is a problem when using water-based varnish on wood but I don't know if that fully explains what I observe every time.

Thanks for your help!

Geraldine
    Upper handle: what I have
Lower handle: my goal my current process, leading to a wavy surface
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Fuzzy surface on my wood handles

Talking with no expierience but; would rotating the handles when wet help???
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Hi Geraldine and welcome to the forum.
      That's an interesting project, may I ask what the handles are for?
      I have no experience with UV cured materials so can't pass along any first hand fixes for your problem with the wavy surface, other than maybe the finish is too heavy a coat and is sagging during cure. It's hard to tell but the ridges appear to be following the grain direction and I'm wondering if the finish is shrinking and emphasising the grain. What wood do you use?
      To get an even coat, Egon's suggestion would definitely work but I'm not sure what the wet handles go into to cure and if there would be enough space for some kind of turning mechanism.
      As for fuzzies under waterbased products, that's a relatively simple fix. Mist on some water, don't soak it, just moisten the surface, let dry and then lightly scuff to knock down the raised grain. For a round object, or rounded surface, I use the 3M sanding sponges as they are flexible and follow the contours. A light scuff is all that's needed, the "fine" grade would work as you just need enough micro relief on the surface for the waterbased products to bite into.
      Good luck
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
        Talking with no expierience but; would rotating the handles when wet help???
        I am also very inexperienced, but I am going to ask anyways:

Is the variation in appearance due to uneven coating, or uneven absorbsion?

Comment

If you are making these handles on a lathe there would be several finishing ideas on perhaps a turning forum. There is a turning forum here BTW. Finishes are applied while the handle is spinning on the lathe. Very similar to the pens made here.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
            Mist on some water, don't soak it, just moisten the surface, let dry and then lightly scuff to knock down the raised grain. For a round object, or rounded surface, I use the 3M sanding sponges as they are flexible and follow the contours. A light scuff is all that's needed, the "fine" grade would work as you just need enough micro relief on the surface for the waterbased products to bite into.
            Good luck
            Paul
            Standard procedure for turned items - from bowls to Christmas ornaments.

Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "
            John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

If these items are turned, as on a lathe, is the problem in the sanding of the article on the lathe softer wood sands easier than the hard part of the grain so is the unevenness already there before you dip it in the finish product but only shows up under wet varnish due to the gloss level.
              Even shop bought dowel can feel uneven in the larger sizes, its either movement after its turned or its the sanding of the soft areas more than the hard part of the grain, winter growth.
              beachburl likes this.

Comment

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all your replies and help. The handles are made for brushes!
                Egon, are you talking about rotating the handles when they come out of the varnish or when they cure inside the UV machine? I think Bkrits is right, I think the unevenness is already there before I dip the handles into the varnish because I can see the waves when they come out of the varnish (when it's still wet). I am gonna try to soak them in water like you said, and let them dry over night before sanding.
                I was also wondering if I could get rid of the waves if I add many layers of water-based varnish? Since the problem mostly come from the wood surface, maybe I can try bypassing the problem ?

Also could you please explain to me why rotating the handles while getting them out of the varnish would help ?

Thanks and good night !

Geraldine

Comment

DON'T soak them.
                  Just a quick wipe.

Noel
                  "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "
                  John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

[QUOTE=GeraldineF;n1179667]Hello everybody,

Thanks for all your replies and help. The handles are made for brushes!
                    Egon, are you talking about rotating the handles when they come out of the varnish or when they cure inside the UV machine? I think Bkrits is right, I think the unevenness is already there before I dip the handles into the varnish because I can see the waves when they come out of the varnish (when it's still wet). I am gonna try to soak them in water like you said, and let them dry over night before sanding.
                    I was also wondering if I could get rid of the waves if I add many layers of water-based varnish? Since the problem mostly come from the wood surface, maybe I can try bypassing the problem ?

Also could you please explain to me why rotating the handles while getting them out of the varnish would help ?

Thanks and good night !

Geraldine

[/QUOTE

You may note that in the first post I said that I've no Experience. Rotating was just a thought. I'm not able to expand on that.
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by GeraldineF View Post
                      Rotating the handles when they are wet with the varnish would allow the finish to even out. One of the pics looked like the finish had sagged a little and, if the substrate was even, this could be alleviated. However if the original surface is uneven, then this won't work very well as the finish will tend to follow the contours. Can you employ a different sanding technique that wont accentuate the grain so much, or failing that use a different wood species?

Paul

Comment

consider a BBQ rotisserie motor for rotating... they're low RPM (4-7) so won't shake off the finish but will allow an even, equal flow

the trick will be in adapting some kind of quick-connect-release holder clamp-y thing so you can change out each one easily

an example of a larger-scale version, but same concept Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8686.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	1180233
                        beachburl, Paul O in Paris and like this.

Comment

Working...
                        X