What finish to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What finish to use?

My three go-to finishes in my shop are shellac, WB Varathane and my current favourite,Livos. However, I'm working on a project with cherry ply and solid cherry edging, some has already been installed ( without finish ) and I'm now making some more cabinets to match and I need a finish that won't smell for ages ( homeowner has asthma ), easy to put on ( some panels are high up on the walls and abut the ceiling ) and finally, that will bring out that gorgeous colour of the cherry. My experience with WB finishes is they don't look good on cherry, shellac wouldn't be a great finish for bathroom cabinets and the wipe on ,wipe off aspect of Livos would be a royal pain given all the taping off of walls and overhead rubbing . What's to be done? Two coats shellac sealed in WB? Any collective wisdom from the hive mind?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What finish to use?

I would have had it sprayed before installation, with my own kitchen the doors are overlays so easy to finish off site all end panels are pre fitted and screwed on after the cabinets were installed so were all finished before installation, I see no point in cutting in with paint if you can avoid it, all my trim work was painted to finish coat and sanded before installing, I didn't sand the narrow edge of the architraves so I didn't have to cut into the wall, I filled the nail holes and touched with undercoat when dry then one top coat and done with minimal dust in the house, I find if you start masking up with tape you risk damaging the paint on the walls.
    Good luck.

Comment

That would have been my choice ( finishing in the shop , not spraying ) but I'm coming into this project that someone else started and they've already installed unfinished panels which I am going to complete with cherry edging. There are also a few new matching cabinets to be built and installed , so here I am. Any other ideas that don't require a time machine or tearing everything out, finishing and then reinstalling?

Comment

Difficult, A good brush, lots of care and patience, run a vacuum when sanding or send the owner out while you do it, use a small roller where you can, water base poly dries quick so you have to work fast some of it you can't roll on, oil base dries slow but runs if too thick, then there is the look you want water base can look cloudy, others on here must know better.

Comment

Working...
        X