No announcement yet.

Squirt bottles for paint thinners, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirt bottles for paint thinners, etc.

It's occured to me recently as I was using mineral spirits from a 1l bottle that I almost never want to pour lots of it out. Most of the time I need just a little to squirt on my hands or a rag or a paper towel or a brush.

I find trying to pour a little bit out of that bottle unnecessarily frustrating.

Am I the only one who feels that way? What kind of bottle do you use to dispense your paint thinners?

I suppose the same might apply to stains to some extent.
    Andrew Smith
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Squirt bottles for paint thinners, etc.

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
    It's occured to me recently as I was using mineral spirits from a 1l bottle that I almost never want to pour lots of it out. Most of the time I need just a little to squirt on my hands or a rag or a paper towel or a brush.

I find trying to pour a little bit out of that bottle unnecessarily frustrating.

Am I the only one who feels that way? What kind of bottle do you use to dispense your paint thinners?

I suppose the same might apply to stains to some extent.
    If I want to clean something with a rag, I hold the rag against the open bottle and let it get soaked, works for me.

Also like Doug G says, small pot to dip into, spraying a volatile product I don’t like to do
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-03-2018, 11:01 PM.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I sometimes pour a bit into an old peanut butter jar, easier to pour from than a big jug but maybe a small squeeze bottle or spray bottle would be even better. I just mixed up a batch of Lee Valley blade cleaner in an old Windex bottle, might try mineral spirits in a spray bottle. Would work well when you want to wet a surface after sanding to clean off the dust and see how the grain looks.

Comment

I personally use lot different fluids. But my favourite go to bottle is a plum sauce bottle. Plum sauce???... it just doesn’t break down that fast (compared to ketchup bottles), with most of the oils or fluids I use. For acetone, I just keep refilling my wife’s old nail polish remover bottle. It has a little squirt hole.

The plum sauce bottle I flip the lid closed and with a plastic thumb tack I pierce through the top of the lid into the pourspout. I give it a little wiggle and remove. I squirt to test, and if I want it a little bigger squirt, I put the thumbtack in and give it a bigger wiggle.

For varsol i’ve been using the same old vim bottle now for about three years. I find at some point the plunger washer stops working usually. So I replace the bottle.

I am a little bit of a hoarder...
        i use peanut butter jars to store my last little bit of paint from a 1 gallon pail. I just put saran wrap over and screw the lid on. Oil base or water. It’s worked great for me.
        I use the snuggle fabric softener container with the pushbutton dispenser for my coolant concentrate and I use another snuggle container with a pushbutton dispenser for my mixed water down fluid.

just be mindful what kind of fluid you’re dropping into a container. On one of my motorcycles I was draining the gas line into a Dollar store plastic cup. Within about five minutes the plastic cup bottom fell off and about 200ml of gasoline was on my floor.
        Last edited by Matt Matt; 10-03-2018, 11:31 PM.
        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

My wife bought me a cheap spray bottles from the dollar store.
          I use it for isopropanol (99% rubbing alcohol).

Otherwise I use old mason jars, pickle jars, salsa etc
          I prefer glass jars over plastic.... for no real reason.

Nathan

Comment

Flammable solvents are supplied in metal quart and gallon (or metric) containers for good and what should be obvious reasons.
            Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Gatorade squeeze bottles. So handy. Not noticeably affected by any solvent I've ever stored in them.

Comment

Recycle from the kitchen garbage, glass jars & easyoff spray bottles. There are times small oil cans are available for reasonable prices.

Durable Labeling is very important.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

For cleaning something like a paint gun, these are great. You can find similar from various vendors. Just be aware that some strong solvents line gun wash can damage plastics, particularly cheaper ones, the Devilbiss bottles can withstand the attack. They can be found considerably cheaper than the link from your local autopaint dealer.

At work, we used these "dobber" stations for solvent. They are safety stations that meet flammability requirements. Overkill for home use, but real nice if you use a lot of solvent and want a way to load a rag safely.
                  http://a.co/d/8V4mTDt

Or the non-piston version which was more reliable.
                  http://a.co/d/guaotxt

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
                    What kind of bottle do you use to dispense your paint thinners?
                    A Vim squirt bottle works well. Have used a couple for years with paint thinners in one and mineral spirits in another. IMO the thicker/slightly softer plastic used in the containers holding household cleaners is more robust than any others, especially the clear, flimsy units sold at box stores. I also keep a mix of 50/50 DNA/water in a squirt bottle from Richelieu and it's held up for years.
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X