Varathane on hemlock baseboard.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Varathane on hemlock baseboard.

I'm sure Paul will agree, if you use 21 0r 23 guage pins you may not feel the need to fill. It will be up to you but the hole is very small and almost invisible to a normal examination on stained wood. Personally I very seldom mess with the pressure in my compressor either to try to lessen or increase the depth that the pin is driven to.
    WhiskeyJack77 likes this.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      No do not plan on tapping them in. They will not move with a hammer and nail set. You could try a smaller guage nailer like a 21 or 23 guage. Those size pins are almost invisible. The reason I mentioned the fasteners is a lot of time after clear coat some guys try to use the fillers and their fingers and it ends up being a visible smudge on an otherwise nice clear coat. Try some sample pieces first and use a shop towel to wipe off residues. I have pretty much gone to a Grex 21 or 23 guage nailer for trim now. Most people in my experience use a pin that is too long anyway. My 23 is maxed out at 1-3/8ths and the 23 is a full 2 inch long. They work very well.
      Just a follow up post to this. Rusty, I picked up a Hitachi NP35A headless pinner and what an amazing rig. it was a bit cheaper than some of the other pinners i looked at but as with most things "cheap" the reviews were the sell feature. more good than bad. I didn't break the bank and got a reliable pinner. With all the projects i have lined up for the next few months i can justify the purchase!

As for the task/job i also REALLY liked how it all came together. Perhaps i was a bit OCD with the installation but i tested the pinner on some other tests scraps and projects and i found that if i fired the pin into the dark parts of the stained grain, what hole was left was for lack of better terms invisible. My wife was well pleased i was over the moon with the window casing exercise and we are ready to do the rest of the house. Probably take it room by room again as the $$$ and prep work kind of go hand in hand.

Thanks so much for introducing me to this tool!!!!
      https://therecordingrebels.com/

Comment

You're very welcome and I'm certainly appreciative of your comments and happy that it worked for you as advertised. Hitachi makes good stuff too. They were my go to guys for years.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
        X