Another hemlock finish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another hemlock finish question

i have only ever worked with hemlock once,a barn floor.this is a bit different,I have been asked to make a hemlock soap dish.I am thinking a simple mineral oil finish.
    will hemlock accept mineral oil? Is there a better alternative ,or maybe even natural?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Another hemlock finish question

Sorry,I confused myself,I don't have hemlock,was thinking of tamarack.
    mow wondering,what should I make the dish out of. Don't want to purchase wood for this small project,besides the tamarack,I have red &white oak,black walnut,maple,cherry,hickory,walnut.maybe a few other scraps

Comment

a soap dish that will be used (wet, soaking for extended times, soapy foam?l
      or decorative?
      we have way too many decorative versions here, and whatever wood they are holds up fine to simply resting aromatic soaps on them all the time.

I would think a more water resistant wood is preferable if being used often, however I'm not sure the ideal finish as it would need to be quite tough to resist soapy water sitting on it a lot.

an oil based finish would required constant reapplication, I'd imagine, if the dish is used often.
      I do think of such a dish at a family cottage that has just been left to weather & age with occassional use. must be decades old, and looks well used, but it still holds soap just fine.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

I’m with Tom, I would think you’d want spar varnish or something pretty heavy duty to hold wet soap.

nathan

Comment

isn't tung oil waterproof once cured?

Comment

Tamarack is a very water-resistand wood that is used in traditional wooden lobster traps for hundreds of years. If it can stand resting in the bottom of the sea for months at a time, then it should certainly work as a soad dish.

I'd probably not even put any finish on it other than oil to enhance the grain.
            All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X