Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather painting

Hello

My picket fence is almost done, and I've got to paint it.

I'm thinking to use rollers/brushes for the posts and rails which are already installed, and attempt to spray the pickets in the garage with the door open.

I've got a CS9900 spray system with an assortment of nozzles.

The problem is it's cold now, today it was 0 degrees in the morning. It's supposed to go up to 10 but probably only for a few hours.

I'm thinking to use an oil-based primer with water-based paint on top.

Is this going to work? Or am I asking for trouble attempting it in such cold weather, with likely rain/snow/frost?

I could leave it till next year but I'd much prefer to get it done this year.

Thanks in advance.
    Andrew Smith
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cold weather painting

Don't do it! 🙁. You'd likely have to re-do it come Spring.
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

When is a safer time during spring then, april or may?
      Andrew Smith

Comment

Read the can! They post the temps and the times you need.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Don't forget that when it gets below the dew point or freezes outside, dew or frost will settle on the wood and make it damp. You will have to wait for it to dry before you can paint. Then it will need to be warm enough for the paint to cure before it get cold again later in the day.

Wait for spring, that way you won't have to scrape off all the old peeled paint from the late fall paint job. If you used an PT wood, you should paint it until 6 months or so to give it a chance to dry out.
          the other Ken
          ------
          "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Working...
          X