Danish Oil - Change in Directions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish Oil - Change in Directions

Picked up a new can of Tried & True Danish Oil last week.

I have a can with a bit left in. That can is 12 - 18 months old.

When I went to open the new can, I noticed that they have changed the directions. On the old can, you were told to wait 5 minutes before wiping off. The Lee Valley website still says that for Danish Oil.

However, on the new can, it now states to leave it for at least 60 minutes before wiping off.

That is a pretty major change! I have not figured out if it is a misprint, or if they have changed the Danish Oil and it now needs a lot longer to soak into the wood.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Danish Oil - Change in Directions

Some experimentation is in order I think in case something has changed. In my use in the past I have wiped it off after a few minutes.

Comment

Split the difference and wait 30 minutes

Comment

I find that after 60 minutes, there is nothing to wipe up.

A message was sent to Lee Valley's support address on Wednesday. No answer yet.

Comment

Keep adding until the surface stays slick for 30 minutes, THEN wipe off

Comment

Lee Valley has responded that they are reaching out to the vendor to confirm the instructions.

Once they have an answer, I will update this discussion.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by davezedlee View Post
              Keep adding until the surface stays slick for 30 minutes, THEN wipe off
              Interesting approach.

There is a sticker on the top of the can that tells you to use very thin layers. The instructions also stress that the Danish Oil should be applied in very thin coats. Your approach would seem to run counter to this.

Comment

Working...
              X