Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padauk bowl sticky-feeling

HI folks
    I have recently attempted to complete a newly turned padauk bowl. It is from a commercial blank from a trusted seller, at least 10 years old, and 2 inches thick by 10 inches in diameter.
    I did my trusted coat of minwax antique oil, then wiped off.
    I did my trusted coat of wipe-on poly.
    After a couple of days it is still tacky.
    I am open to suggestions.
    Three cherry bowls done at the same time worked fine.

What happens if I scuff sand the WOP as I usually do, and after tack cloth-ing it away apply a second coat?

Thanks.
    Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Padauk bowl sticky-feeling

Noel,
    I have had similar problems when finishing exotic woods (for example, Bubinga pepper mills) with a wipe on oil-based poly. What I found worked for me was to let each coat "dry" for about a day and then wipe off the tackiness with mineral spirits before applying the next coat. After about 3 coats, I no longer got tackiness between the coats. Since then, I have started with a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac which helps a bit to reduce the tackiness when I apply the poly. I may only get tackiness after the first coat of poly.

Good luck with your bowl. Post some photos when you get it done.

David

Comment

Thanks David.
      It's unfortunately nice to see it's a problem someone else has had.
      It's been "drying" since Monday, and the tackiness has been s l o w l y disappearing.
      I'll hit it with some MS, and then see what happens.
      Yes, I will post a pic or two, as it is a bit of a unique turn.

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

Comment

I think David's hit the nail right on the head when it comes to exotics - as well as a few domestics that contain a lot of natural oils. My solution has always been to hit most of such woods with alcohol-based shellac. Not only does it alleviate that problem by sealing the wood to a certain extent, but it brings the lovely woodgrain features to life, better than anything else I've tried.

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
        Noel,
        I have had similar problems when finishing exotic woods (for example, Bubinga pepper mills) with a wipe on oil-based poly. What I found worked for me was to let each coat "dry" for about a day and then wipe off the tackiness with mineral spirits before applying the next coat. After about 3 coats, I no longer got tackiness between the coats. Since then, I have started with a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac which helps a bit to reduce the tackiness when I apply the poly. I may only get tackiness after the first coat of poly.

Good luck with your bowl. Post some photos when you get it done.

David
        All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Thanks Marty.
          "but it brings the lovely woodgrain features to life, better than anything else I've tried."
          Does that include better than an oil base coat?

Noel
          "

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post

Does that include better than an oil base coat?

In my experience, yes, it does.
            When I was learning to use shellac, I was told because it is thinner than poly it will penetrate better and pop the grain more than straight poly. There was also something about molecular size of the resin. However, I have also found that if the poly is all you have, then diluting it at least 50%, maybe even more, for the first couple coats will give the best results for accentuating the grain as it allows deeper penetration.
            I have always wiped down the wood or veneer with denatured alcohol right before applying the shellac. It evaporates pretty fast and is a very good cleaner/oil remover. I don't do turnings so my experiences are limited to furniture pieces.
            Good luck
            Paul

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks Paul.
              I doubt whether there's much difference between furniture and turnings in finishing methods.

Noel
              John@Hamilton likes this.
              "

Comment

Working...
              X