Lye- where to find

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lye- where to find

Any thoughts on where I could find lye flakes (Gillets Lye)? Have tried the local CTC, and our largest grocery store without luck. We also have a HD and Lowes to be visited as well. I have some lovely, but very pink cherry wood that I would like to darken for a jewellery box under construction. Thanks for any info, Roy
    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Lye- where to find

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
    Any thoughts on where I could find lye flakes (Gillets Lye)? Have tried the local CTC, and our largest grocery store without luck. We also have a HD and Lowes to be visited as well. I have some lovely, but very pink cherry wood that I would like to darken for a jewellery box under construction. Thanks for any info, Roy
    Drano is mainly lye Roy, soap makers use lye, any place that has supplies for them should have it, I don’t know in what form, liquid or crystal/flakes
    Maybe HD has it, but as Sodium Hydroxide, rather than lye.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-29-2018, 10:38 AM.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Try your local Home Hardware
      Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Won't vinegar do the same? Lye is a bit more dangerous and corrosive. NO? Cherry will darken on it's own too, even after a finish is applied.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

A chemicals supplier should be able to supply, This is where I used to get mine : http://www.bscchem.com/bscchem.com/containers.html You may have a similar store where you live?

cheers

Comment

I wasn't aware lye could be used to darken cherry but as Bob said...

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/500g-...aner/p/3226432

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

As Leo mentioned, soapmakers use lye. I buy mine from either Candora in London, ON or from Canwax in Huntsville. Both will ship but in 1 kg or smaller packages only.
              The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, have some good leads to follow. Roy
                Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
                X