Sealing redwood before pouring an epoxy flood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing redwood before pouring an epoxy flood

I'm looking for a recommendation of what kind of seal i can apply to this live edge redwood buffet table I'm making. I want to finish with an epoxy flood because the wood is so soft and i have young children who will knock the daylights out of it. Dewaxed shellac? Poly? If so, i figure i gotta do a few coats and take 220 to the final coat before applying the epoxy. Thanks for any advice you can provide this greenhorn.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sealing redwood before pouring an epoxy flood

That's a mighty nice piece.
    Hope you're going to post progress.

Noel
    earl of vincent likes this.
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

If you are flooding with epoxy, there's really no need for a sealer. Unless you're looking to change the color of the wood a bit.

Also, I see a couple of knots. You'll want to fill those prior to doing the full epoxy flood.
      Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

I would seal it with a epoxy sealer coat,there is a product called Everdure that is 2 pot and can be thinned with epoxy thinners, I found a lot of air comes out of the wood when you do a flow coat and creates air bubbles in your flow coat so I would recommend a sealer coat, there are cheaper versions of Everdure around these days.

Comment

I typically do a light "first pour" and spread it thin over the whole piece. I dont worry about levelling it, as the flood coat will bury it all. It seals, and gives a good surface for the flood coat to sit on top of.

Simon
          Kayak Jim and earl of vincent like this.

Comment

definitely gotta seal before pouring the flood coat. seems like i've read more than a few stories of bubbles coming up when there is no seal coat. probably going to go with a poly. now i just need to research a quality poly for redwood. thanks for the input guys.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

To avoid bubbles make sure the freshly epoxied piece is cooling down not warming up. In other words, don't turn the heat on in the shop a half hour before making the pour then leave it on continuing to warm the piece as you try and get the epoxy to harden. That'll drive air out of the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                To avoid bubbles make sure the freshly epoxied piece is cooling down not warming up. In other words, don't turn the heat on in the shop a half hour before making the pour then leave it on continuing to warm the piece as you try and get the epoxy to harden. That'll drive air out of the wood.
                great advice!!! i live on constantly cool part of the central CA coast. it rarely gets over 70 degrees. i was planning on jacking the heat up in the spare bedroom to nearly 80 degrees for 24hrs to let the wood acclimate. then spraying de-waxed shellac (seems easier than water-based poly), sanding with 400 grit, spraying another coat, then sanding with 220 before pouring the epoxy. I'll shut the heater off entirely after pouring the epoxy. i'll be hitting it with a heat gun to get rid of bubbles (i don't have a torch). the room will take hours to come down to our normal room temp of 66-68. that should be plenty of time for the epoxy to cure. i'm going to leave it at 66-68 degrees for about 3 days. I think that should do it.

Comment

I would avoid use of the heat gun as it falls into the "heating up of the freshly epoxied piece" category and will drive out air that otherwise would be perfectly happy staying inside the wood. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind, both from a sealant standpoint and the epoxy application. Have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                    I would avoid use of the heat gun as it falls into the "heating up of the freshly epoxied piece" category and will drive out air that otherwise would be perfectly happy staying inside the wood. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind, both from a sealant standpoint and the epoxy application. Have at it.
                    I'm up for any/all advice. I just don't have a torch to pop the epoxy bubbles. Should I use a hair dryer instead? I know bubbles will occur. It's inevitable. How I go about popping them is important. If a heat gun is a bad choice, please steer me in the right direction. Thanks

EDIT: $20 for a propane blow torch is worth the $$$. Screw the heat gun and hair dryer. Seems like people get good results using the torch method.
                    Last edited by earl of vincent; 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X