Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: casting sanding blocks

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
    I was thinking of maybe fine tuning the mold with files / abrasives then using using lightweight automotive paper. Those casting products you mentioned ..... would NAPA carry them?
    It wouldnt hurt to try automotive paper. Actually it might not really change the profile at all unless the area was high detail. Have you ever looked at Durablocks? Used in autobody. They have some curved and teardrop shaped blocks that might get you what your after ?

Those casting resins are available online. I doubt napa would have them. Acklands has the Devcon products, maybe Motion does too, check prices, acklands can be nuts without an account.

There are other products that might be better than the Devcon stuff as far as storage of the unused products go. This guy said that the products from Speciality resins seem to store better. Check their site here, they have some good info including videos of casting and molding.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by scooby074 View Post

It wouldnt hurt to try automotive paper. Actually it might not really change the profile at all unless the area was high detail. Have you ever looked at Durablocks? Used in autobody. They have some curved and teardrop shaped blocks that might get you what your after ?
      I did look at Durablock, they look like really nice sanding blocks and I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a set.

I still want to make my own sanding block even if it's just to get experience with casting rubber molds. I'm thinking it's something simple, useful and gives me experience making molds. If this works there are hard to sand details I'd like to make sanders for and I'd like to make a cast of a live edge table I built so I can cast it in concrete. I've seen the products for making concrete molds, which are not cheap. I'd like to make my mistakes on something small and work up to something bigger.

The doors that I want to refinish are the standard routed MDF doors with a white lacquer finish. I plan on finishing them in a slightly different shade of white waterborne. I don't plan on sanding right to the wood, just a good scuff and then the same between coats.

Comment

If your casting material is sandable you could do your final sizing by adhering your sanding paper to the moulding profile then back sand the cast block to the profile - that would take care of the paper thickness. As you probably know, you'll need a fairly flexible sanding paper if there are any hard corners in the profile.

John
        dave_k likes this.
        Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
          I did look at Durablock, they look like really nice sanding blocks and I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a set.

I still want to make my own sanding block even if it's just to get experience with casting rubber molds. I'm thinking it's something simple, useful and gives me experience making molds. If this works there are hard to sand details I'd like to make sanders for and I'd like to make a cast of a live edge table I built so I can cast it in concrete. I've seen the products for making concrete molds, which are not cheap. I'd like to make my mistakes on something small and work up to something bigger.

The doors that I want to refinish are the standard routed MDF doors with a white lacquer finish. I plan on finishing them in a slightly different shade of white waterborne. I don't plan on sanding right to the wood, just a good scuff and then the same between coats.

Durablocks are great. quite common in automotive refinishing.

Learning to cast would be a great skill imho. Not just for sanding blocks but for duplicating things like intricate carved mouldings. Much easier to learn to cast than carve lol. The speciality resins site I posted earlier has some how-to videos that might be adaptable to what your trying to do, if not, there are tons of videos on Youtube

Concrete live edge would be pretty interesting project.

As mentioned would a sanding mop work for your door sanding?
          Last edited by scooby074; 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Liquid rubber products will be expensive, perhaps a thin layer on a bondo block. I wonder if you could use a sanding sponge type abrasive sheet and spray a glue on it so it holds the profile, then cast onto that.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by scooby074 View Post

Durablocks are great. quite common in automotive refinishing.

Learning to cast would be a great skill imho. Not just for sanding blocks but for duplicating things like intricate carved mouldings. Much easier to learn to cast than carve lol. The speciality resins site I posted earlier has some how-to videos that might be adaptable to what your trying to do, if not, there are tons of videos on Youtube

Concrete live edge would be pretty interesting project.

As mentioned would a sanding mop work for your door sanding?
              Scooby,,,,,,If you want to match a molding take a look at casting a perfect match with the coper 2 part system. If anyone can tell me these aren't perfect castings I'll be very surprised and there is no reason why the system won't pour a perfect cast for any molding or picture frame etc. You can transfer a casting to wood or MDf as I did in the top piece in pic 4 which is MDF.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Scooby,,,,,,If you want to match a molding take a look at casting a perfect match with the coper 2 part system. If anyone can tell me these aren't perfect castings I'll be very surprised and there is no reason why the system won't pour a perfect cast for any molding or picture frame etc. You can transfer a casting to wood or MDf as I did in the top piece in pic 4 which is MDF.
                That stuff looks decent. Seems to make an exact match. I was thinking more about casting a horizontal section of moulding from one undamaged part of a frame and splicing it into a damaged area. I was thinking more like this method to repair a frame, but he used a flexible silicone for the mold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHTcm1VJpSA

No reason the Coper couldnt be used to cast a mold for sanding other than perhaps its too stiff? but I have no idea, Ive never seen the product in real life.

Comment

Working...
                X