What finish does Ikea use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What finish does Ikea use?

I'm making a workbench top by adding width to a 1 - 3/4" thick top I rescued from the garbage. I saw an Ikea sticker on it. It is what appears to be their typical satin finish. Does anyone know what they put on there? I want to apply a finish to the part I'm adding and maybe recoat the original finish too, and I'd like it be compatible. Thanks!
    Happiness is a new blade!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What finish does Ikea use?

I believe ikea exclusively uses the tears of a thousand craftsmen...

Seriously though, sorry, not sure, I would assume it's a modern film finish, like a lacquer or polyurethane.

Maybe just get a rattlecan of poly, and scuff sand and spray a test spot on some inconspicuous spot, see how that goes.
    Fairweather, earl of vincent and 2 others like this.

Comment

Try some satin spray lacquer from Canadian Tire. Those little ones for car touch up give a nice fine spray.

The smell is a killer though.

Comment

Wouldn't lacquer be a rather fragile finish, especially for a workbench? Seems to me that lacquer doesn't "wear" well. I was hoping that they would be using polyurethane for it's durability. I am just hoping that someone knows for a fact what they do use, and if it's oil or water based.

Comment

Guy, I assume you are referring to their clear finish.
          Ikea offers that that it's wood doors are finished with "a clear acrylic lacquer".
          Years ago I had to refresh about 20 Ikea kitchen cabinet doors that had been scuffed and scratched up during a move/storage. After cleaning and lightly scuffing I sprayed Target Coatings Oxford Premium Lacquer (the precursor to their EM6000) and they came out really nice. Better than new IMO (but I am biased).
          So any clear waterbased product should work. As you're making a workbench get the toughest stuff you can find. Just clean the top extremely well.
          Good luck
          Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
            Guy, I assume you are referring to their clear finish.
            Yes.

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
            So any clear waterbased product should work. As you're making a workbench get the toughest stuff you can find.
            So would water based urethane (Varathane) work on top of that lacquer?

Thanks!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by guylavoie View Post

So would water based urethane (Varathane) work on top of that lacquer?
              I don't know for sure as I never use Varathane, but if you have some, test it and see. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
              FWIW I would wipe it on rather than use a rattle can, especially if you are going to touch up areas on the top you have.
              If I was going to use a film finish for a workbench top, I would look to something really durable like a waterbased floor finish. Finitec is a company that makes excellent products for floors (which I have used). They also make various other products for furniture and are a Quebec based company so may be readily available to you.
              You can check out their product line https://www.finitec-inc.com/EN/home.htm

Paul
              Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Guy, have you considered taking a card scrapper to remove the Ikea finish down to bare wood? You could then use whatever finish will give the best results for your work bench as opposed to trying to work with the original coating.

On the topic of finishes, if I was to replace the top on my bench I would use a pentrating wiping oil. A lot easier to repair, gives a traditional look and is gentler on plane irons when the time comes to reflatten the top than polys or factory pre/post cat clears.

Just my 2 cents worth. Yes it is more work but rather than Ikea directing your
                coating choice (and all farting around to find what works) you get to choose what works best for your project.

Bonne chance!

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably give water based Varathane a try (the brush on type).

Comment

Working...
                  X