Fiberglassing a hydrofoil wing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglassing a hydrofoil wing

I'm planing on fiberglassing my hydrofoil wing that I made using pine.
    My wing is pritty stiff already, but i plan on making a longer and thinner wing, so putting on the right amount of layers may be important.

I have found some good videos of a step by step of how to do it( I've never used fiberglass before).
    https://youtu.be/S0HiCAUQOIE
    I think the guy in the vid uses 3.7oz glass. Dont think he mentioned number of layers but i guess it all depends on length, thickness and material.

Have heard the surfboard epoxy from plastic world would work good considering this application. They have a few different types of fiberglass but am unsure what kind to use e-cloth, s-coth?
    Home depot and others have Bondo fiberglass and resin. Not sure if that would be the right choice.

Any tips or tricks would also be appreciated.

Thanks

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Fiberglassing a hydrofoil wing

no pic.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I believe the WEST System epoxy company website may have some valuable guidance on similar issues.
      All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_161106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	1220926Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_161116.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	1220927
        beachburl likes this.

Comment

I would give that a single layer of light cloth, doubling up for a few inches around the attachment point.

Comment

Another epoxy brand to consider is System Three, I believe Lee Valley carries some of their products. Good info on their website also. https://www.systemthree.com/?gclid=C...waAsYVEALw_wcB You can also get some good info on fibreglass and epoxy from a variety of websites related to stitch and glue kayak building. One good one to start with is Pygmy Boats http://www.pygmyboats.com/kit-construction-process.html

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Epoxy will get a better bond to the wood than polyester unless its tanalised wood, both need painting to protect from sun and water, Martys right look at the West system, decide if the fiberglass is for strength or protection, kayak jim has it right more around the connection points.
              Paint the wood with epoxy lay on the glass and apply more epoxy to saturate the glass then cover with peel ply making sure the peel ply is saturated too with no air trapped any where (air bubbles) when all is dry rip off the peel ply and you instantly have a paintable surface no sanding necessary so no sand throughs, you may have to sand where you overlap glass or peel ply, peel ply is a product like a shower curtain a nylon or polyester fabric, when I glassed my canoe I just bought the cheapest shower curtain I could find, the biggest problem I had was where the curtain had been folded in the packet, the folds wanted to lift off the glass so best to buy the product off a roll from a fabric shop.
              You don't need that much epoxy for light cloth 6oz but if you want strength and go for multiple layers more epoxy, you will have difficulty getting any glass around that tight point so best to do one side at a time and let it hang over sand off when dry and do the next side bringing the glass to a point, you could go for a heavier cloth if its for strength but no glass will go around that tight edge, and it gets heavy.

Comment

I'm not too worried about weight. It is much lighter then the g10 wing that comes with my foil. My current wing as pictured above will really only need glass for water proofing and to make the wood harder around the fuseledge connection and where the bolts make contact on the bottom.

Clearwater hydrofoils over sized there holes, then epoxy them and drill the holes for the bolts. I've already drilled the holes to size...so I'm thinking of just painting /dripping some epoxy in the holes.

I'm looking forward to the next wing shaping. This has really become a hobby for me. Yeah it's a lot of work but it saves you money and you can make the wing just the way you want it. Even if it doesn't fly the earliest or fastest compaired to manufactured ones.

Comment

So this thing is a hydrofoil? Wings are for air, hydrofoils are for water! It is a bit hard to help waterproof a piece of pine unless you overbore the holes and fill them as you describe the manufacturers do since the bolts will work in the holes causing fracturing around the holes permitting water ingress and wet pine has no ability to withstand bearing loads.

Something to consider

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X