Reduser -----thinners--- for my stain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduser -----thinners--- for my stain

I have a goudey stain that needs to be thinner- but how -- w 246 harvest oak -
    fast drying pigmented wiping stain --- with mineral spiriits----laquer thinners-- varsol or something else.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Reduser -----thinners--- for my stain

I have used Colman Stove Fuel a.ka. Naptha in a pinch. Figured naptha is listed as the base solvent in the MSDS for their solvent base wiping stain. Worked out well.

Or just call them 416-531-4669.

Comment

Best reducer is Goudey Stain Base, 754 Fast Dry Stain Reducer for solvent based or Stain Glaze Base WB00-0113 for waterbased.
      Goudey also recommends Xylene or Toluene for the solvent based stain.
      FWIW I always stick to the pure solvent rather than solvent marketed for other purposes, which will have several additives, some of which can/may interfere with the finishing process.
      You could use Mineral Spirits as it's in the same chemical family as Toluene, but it will slow down the dry time and has been known to leave "damp" spots if too much is added.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ron G Jones View Post
        I have a goudey stain that needs to be thinner- but how -- w 246 harvest oak -
        fast drying pigmented wiping stain --- with mineral spiriits----laquer thinners-- varsol or something else.
        Welcome to the forum. I don't mean to sound like a smart aleck but the most authoritative source, is the manufacturer's Data Sheet, available on line. They are required to publish those for every product.
        Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Working...
        X