Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blonde shellac

Hi,
    I am working on a project. Customer asked for amber shellac, I was pretty sure she wouldn't like it and that clear would go better with her decor, so I just finished a scrap piece of wood with the amber shellac to show her and sure enough she agrees with me, except that now she wants blonde shellac to bring out the grain better then clear, but I can't find it anywhere! The orange store only carries Zinsser clear, amber or orange. Does anyone know where I can find blonde shellac? I tried Googling it and couldn't find anything but flakes, which apparently Lee Valley no longer carries.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Blonde shellac

Lee Valley still sells de-waxed shallac flakes in various colours. They also sell shellac solvent. Or use denatured alcohol or methyl hydrate to dissolve it according to the instuctions. Mixing it is a no brainer. There are other sources but LV makes it easy.
    WeQuick likes this.
    I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
    Bob
    Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

Woodessence seems to have 3 shellac flakes in "blondes":

http://www.woodessence.com/Dry-Shellac-P54.aspx

I don't have personal experience with this vendor, but they are often referred to on this forum with positive commentary.
      WeQuick likes this.

Comment

I order from wood essence, they are great to deal with.

Nathan
        WeQuick likes this.

Comment

Ardec is closer to the OP than Wood Essence and they carry blond shellac

https://ardec.ca/p/117/gomme-laque-blonde-deciree

If you buy flakes, use denatured ethanol rather than methyl hydrate (methanol) to dissolve them. Your central nervous system will thank you later in life!

Hope that helps.
          Paul
          JimPTBO, WeQuick and Kayak Jim like this.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I was hoping for something I could pick up today, but will check them out to see how long shipping takes as they don't offer customer pick-up

Comment

Lee Valley has a store in Laval.
              WeQuick likes this.
              Bob

Comment

Yes, thanks Bob, but l guess my original post was badly written. Lee Valley has flakes, but they no longer carry blonde flakes ...

Out of desperation just to show a sample and explain that it would take time to get the blonde shellac, I bought a can of Zinsser clear and it actually worked great! Everything I checked including the salesman said it wouldn't darken the wood at all, but it did darken and the sample turned out awesome (I think), so hopefully it will get the thumbs up....

Comment

Hmmmm. What am I missing?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942

I think you will find that the Zinsser is not de-waxed, which is okay but limits putting other finishes on top of it. Whatever works is fine.
                  Bob

Comment

Originally posted by WeQuick View Post
                    it wouldn't darken the wood at all, but it did darken
                    It will also turn a more amber tone with time. Some folks may consider this "darkening" but it's just a natural aging process of the shellac.
                    You may want to make your customer aware of this because if she wants a finish that will remain clear and light it's whole life, then shellac is not "it". A clear waterbased lacquer would be a much better choice, but can often look insipid if applied directly to some woods.

Good luck
                    Paul
                    WeQuick, nnieman and Bobmezz like this.

Comment

Bob... the Zinnser Sealcoat that I use extensively is a 2 lb cut, dewaxed shellac. Other Zinnser products may be different, Roy
                      WeQuick likes this.
                      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
                        Bob... the Zinnser Sealcoat that I use extensively is a 2 lb cut, dewaxed shellac. Other Zinnser products may be different, Roy
                        Yup. The seal oat is de-waxed as it is used to seal knots etc. before painting. I believe the other products are not. I am prepared to be wrong.
                        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmezz View Post
                          Hmmmm. What am I missing?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942

I think you will find that the Zinsser is not de-waxed, which is okay but limits putting other finishes on top of it. Whatever works is fine.
                          Well I'm stumped! ... I phoned them last week and they said they didn't carry it anymore, but on that page it clearly says they have it in stock at the same store.

Also, Paul, it says that it is non darkening and won't change color with age.... and I used a water based gloss clear finish over it (as was instructed by rep at the store) and it looks great, would almost think it was a thick resin coat.

Comment

So, you put a water based, clear gloss over Zinsser clear. Is that right? Can you post a picture of the item? Did you sand the shellac?
                            Bob

Comment

Sorry, its already gone! .... But here' a picture of the sample piece on some scrap wood I had laying around, hardly sanded and that I only put 2 coats of shellac and one coat of clear on (I put 3 coats of shellac and 3 coats of clear on the stand, sanding between each coat ... and the actual piece is a little less yellow then it looks in the picture due to the lighting)
                              Might be making a quickie TV stand for a friend tomorrow with same finish, will post a picture of that if I get the time to get it done.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by WeQuick; 02-07-2019, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X