Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubio Monocoat question - poly over it????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubio Monocoat question - poly over it????

I am in the final stages of finishing the making part of a bed. So, I am now in the process of figuring out what I want to do to finish it. It is cherry. After reading so much about Rubio here I thought I would give it a try. I bought some sample bottles and did some test pieces. I very much like the colour of the natural finish but both my wife and I do not much like the flatness of the finish. We are looking for a bit of sheen. More research indicates poly can be applied over the Rubio in theory but their site isn't overly positive about doing it. I am doing some more tests with water based wipe-on poly but I would be interested in hands-on experience. In particular how the poly held up over time as far as adhesion is concerned.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rubio Monocoat question - poly over it????

Dennis I don't know but if you have any concerns over any product don't use it. Find something else. It is virtually impossible to suggest anything when we don't know what you like.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Rusty, my question is directed at anyone who may have used poly over rubio. As I indicated we like the look but the issue is adhesion and durability. My first test seems to be adhering OK but it's only been a few hours. As always test and test again to be sure.

Comment

I mean what do you like? What colour what sheen etc. And i don't know anything about Rubio. So I'm just suggesting be carefull.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I have never used Rubio, but given that it is an oil based product if I was going to cover it with poly, I would use an oil based poly

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
            I have never used Rubio, but given that it is an oil based product if I was going to cover it with poly, I would use an oil based poly

Paul
            My thought also Paul. I started with the water based because I like the clarity. I have some old oil based and I will try that as well. I am also testing Watco Danish Oil which I have used in the past with good success.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Fwiw, You lose one of the benefits of rubio if you do this; ease of repair. May not matter to you, just mentioning.

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X