Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Painting Plywood

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post

You don't say anything about equipment. It's best sprayed with a sanding sealer and then a coat of satin enamel, water based poly, or similar. If no spray equipment please say so and we'll try to discuss that in a more meaningful way. Birch plywood is #1 for this purpose so you are on a good start.
    Thanks you for your post.
    I have sprayer and air compressor.
    I wonder if you can explain more the way you recommend.

Thanks.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by koo1010 View Post

Thanks you for your post.
      I have sprayer and air compressor.
      I wonder if you can explain more the way you recommend.

Thanks.
      Certainly. In my experience at 78, birch plywood produces probably the best surface for great results as you described. Follow the paint manufacturer's directions, and be sure to download the Manufacturer's Data Sheet that many people don't know exist. Simply Google the product and download the typically two-page instruction or ask the retailer for it. In skimming the replies, I noticed your thought to borrow parts to your gun from a friend - DO NOT DO THAT. Use whatever gun you have, or obtain another gun and test it beforehand.

Everyone has their favorite paint brand and product. Use a major brand such as Sherwin Williams, Dutch Boy, or numerous others. Since spraying is not your livelihood, avoid the complicated protocols and buy what the paint store recommends for your situation. Be prepared to spray several test pieces first. Do not attempt solvent based stay with water based. My personal preference after 70 years' experience between by dad and myself, is S-W but this is the old Ford v. Chevrolet discussion.

After fifteen suggestions above, it is time for you to post a pic of your splendid results. Good luck.
      Last edited by Woodwreck; 04-15-2019, 07:45 AM.
      Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post

Certainly. In my experience at 78, birch plywood produces probably the best surface for great results as you described. Follow the paint manufacturer's directions, and be sure to download the Manufacturer's Data Sheet that many people don't know exist. Simply Google the product and download the typically two-page instruction or ask the retailer for it. In skimming the replies, I noticed your thought to borrow parts to your gun from a friend - DO NOT DO THAT. Use whatever gun you have, or obtain another gun and test it beforehand.

Everyone has their favorite paint brand and product. Use a major brand such as Sherwin Williams, Dutch Boy, or numerous others. Since spraying is not your livelihood, avoid the complicated protocols and buy what the paint store recommends for your situation. Be prepared to spray several test pieces first. Do not attempt solvent based stay with water based. My personal preference after 70 years' experience between by dad and myself, is S-W but this is the old Ford v. Chevrolet discussion.

After fifteen suggestions above, it is time for you to post a pic of your splendid results. Good luck.
        Thanks for your advice.
        Sure, I will post some pics after this project was completed.

Comment

Working...
        X