HVLP Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVLP Advice

I'm looking at buying either the Fuji Semi-pro 2 or the Mini-mite 3 (I would buy the Q3 on sale at Busy Bee instead if the sale is still running when I'm ready to buy). What's prompting this is my next project is a fireplace surround made out of MDF and painted white. I was quoted $400 to prime/spray and figured I'd invest in an HVLP sprayer. I'm a woodworking hobbyist so I can foresee future uses =). Having said that, the MM4 or 5 is a little much for my budget

1) For sealing/priming MDF, do you need to thin a shellac based primer like BIN or SW White pigmented primer? Thin with laquer thinner I suppose?
    2) Has anyone sprayed latex using the Semi-Pro 2 and what were the results?

Thanks for any advice
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: HVLP Advice

Hello you should look longer term and get the 4 stage as 2 stage is really limited. MDF face is easy to spray but cut ends fuzz up even with bin, extra 320 grit sanding and respraying is required. Over the years I had the Fuji 4 stage and moved up to the Kremlin 15-25 which is a completely different system. If you start with a really basic system you will be tired of it really soon and resale is worse. Hope this helps

Comment

Forget of spraying latex with a 2 or 3 stage system

Comment

Google is a horrible thing. I have an Earlex and have come to the conclusonthat its better than nothing, but it feels only by a hair. I don't know if this is due to technique or just hoping to get far more out of a machine that was never designed to do it.

There are lots of comparisons between Fuji 3 and 4 stange.. here or here . When you read the reviews, they seem to always start with that the 3 stage system is a professional system and pefect for a professional shop or high end DIY. They go on to say that the 4 just gives you that bit more to atomize thicker finishes beyond what the 3 can done without needing to dilute. From Fuji's on web site, it seems the main difference between the two is the 3 is 6.5psi and 12amps power, where the 4 boosts that up to 9psi and 13amps. The 5 looks like it's a nominal improvement over the 4 likely because they are pushing the envelope of deminishing returns to improve.

So sure it is easy to see that the 4 does have a noticable jump over the 3 in PSI, but what does that really equate into? From what I have seen on the internet, the Earlex is around a 2.2~2.5psi depending on what stats you believe. So from that side, the Fuji3 is more than doube the power, so going to a Fuji4 seems rather overkill at about 4x.

So what is the happy best value?
        Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

4 stage Fuji owner, I'm not a pro but have been pretty happy with it... took a very little fiddling/thinning and I think I get good results with latex and waterborne alkalyd paints. Never tried the 3 stage, but happy I have the 4... $150 for 40% more power seems like money well spent...

Comment

I've been using the minimite 4(about four years)and is an absolutely great machine if you do not have a large air compressor.
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

So looking at the youtube videos and what I can read on the Fuji web site, the main differences between the Q4 and the minimite4 is about 25db of sound and $365. When you look closer the Q4 has an extra sound baffling built to the output side of the unit that reduces the sound level. This has me wondering. Sound baffling is just redirecting the air with some sound deadening foam on the walls that absorb the sound vibration to make it less loud. I am sure that I can with a small $16 piece of acoustic foam and $20 of 1/4mdf make a pretty good baffle to trap the sound. It might be bigger than what is there in the Q4 but also a good $300 less expensive.

Has anyone who owns the mini mite4 ever thought of sound baffling or do you just put the unit as far away or in a different room from where you spray?

My thought is that the $300 would go towards a second spray gun or accessories like a whip hose, extra filters, replacement pressure tubes, additional needles.. But if deadening the sound is a fools errand, then I might need to think about my hearing and if I will be always wanting to wear hearing protection on top of a respirator.
              Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

As well. If going with the Fuji system, what accessories are worthwhile? I have read online that the hose that ships with the unit is pretty heavy and thick. Great for longevity, but sort of sucks for using, so they say to get the hose whip that is much lighter and far more flexible. What is the opinion of those who have the unit. Is this something that is worthwhile?

I know that you'd need to get several sizes for caps/pins for the unit depending on what sort of finishes that you plan on using. Does the cleaning kit that comes with the unit have all the brushes and everything that you'd need or is it worth getting a better cleaning kit when you order? What is users experience with a remote for the unit. If you have it on the other side of the shop then having a way to turn it on and off would be good. The FUJI one is likely an OEM of someone else but I am not sure what the specs that are needed. Does anyone know of a make/model that would work that you can get from Amazon or someone else for less?
                Matt

Comment

I have a 4 stage Fuji and it is a model thatís between the Q4 and the minimite. Itís not that loud. I do have to thin latex a bit but almost all water based finished (target and general) that Iíve used I donít thin.

Whip hose Is a must!

i invested in the 3M PPS system and Iím glad I did. I recommend it over the siphon or gravity cups.
                  Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 05-31-2019, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Peter. I have seen a youtube for a Fuji minimite4 where they used the 3M PPS system. What part of it do you find makes you recommend it? I gather that with the PPS you can spray with the gun pointing in any direction. But the costs seem pretty high with around $140 for the cup and adaptor and then $115 for a Large Kit containing 25 lids with micron filters, 25 liners (28oz), and 10 sealing plugs. I gather that the liners are single use so that is a bit more than $4 per use.

Is it that you can get away with purchasing less of the fuji spray regular cups (or spray guns), or less cleaning time? Are you doing this as a business and the costs simply pass to the customer and time savings are a direct impact in profit?
                    Matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
                      Peter. I have seen a youtube for a Fuji minimite4 where they used the 3M PPS system. What part of it do you find makes you recommend it? I gather that with the PPS you can spray with the gun pointing in any direction. But the costs seem pretty high with around $140 for the cup and adaptor and then $115 for a Large Kit containing 25 lids with micron filters, 25 liners (28oz), and 10 sealing plugs. I gather that the liners are single use so that is a bit more than $4 per use.

Is it that you can get away with purchasing less of the fuji spray regular cups (or spray guns), or less cleaning time? Are you doing this as a business and the costs simply pass to the customer and time savings are a direct impact in profit?
                      Matt I think you are going to confuse him since you have never used the system. The purpose of the 3M system is very straight forward, ease of cleanup and you can spray 360 degrees and not lose paint suction.Liners can be reused many times. If he purchases a 3 stage system it will probably be limited to what he can spray and not latex paint
                      No need to prime with bin as long as you trim out the cut surfaces

Comment

I bought a box of liners for the large and small cups about 4 or 5 years ago and Iím not even half way through.

i donít spray daily but I reuse the cups many times over.

i will leave finish in the gun for a week as I do small projects and use it periodically.

i also have different product in different liners and pop them in as needed.

i have a water/soap mixture I can pop in and clean the gun before a different product is used.

ive used siphon and gravity cups and Iíll never go back.

i find with the 3M system I can get almost every drop out of the pour but with siphon and gravity there is always that little bit that doesnít get used.

i never have to worry about gun direction, up down sideways it doesnít matter.
                        Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

For your second question; Yes, You can use Latex paint with Semi pro 2. Just make sure the paint is thin or dilute it. I Own a semi pro 2
                          Website

Comment

Working...
                          X