No announcement yet.

Clear finish advice for Bean Bag game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear finish advice for Bean Bag game.

Hi. Building a Bean Bag game for my daughters wedding and a keepsake. Using baltic birch ply, and 3/4 inch Fir.
    My Daughter wants to paint a small picture/logo on the birch ply (acylic latex hobby paint) and I'd like to clear coat the rest of it, including covering the painted logo.
    I don't want the finish to be too slippery or the bags will just slide off.
    Any advice on final sanding and what type of clear coat to use?
    The fir was 4S, and the ply is fairly smooth.
    Thanks, Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190821_191207424.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	1247929

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Clear finish advice for Bean Bag game.

As the final finish is going over acrylic paint, IMO a waterbased finish would be advisable. Just let the paint cure fully before applying finish.

As to not being too slippery, not sure what you can do as all film finishes are smooth and allow objects to slide on them. I have never had a customer ask for a non slippery finish, and in the finishing business we are striving for that flawless finish that folks just love to pass their hands over without feeling any blemishes. Although I did have a few less than smooth finishes when I first started out, mainly because the atomising air on my spray gun was set too high and I got "dry spray" LOL

Only thing I can think of is to try to evenly spread some very, very fine sand, or a ground ceramic onto the wet finish and let it all dry. The big problem is getting an even distribution of the particles. I used some "non slip" paint that had sand mixed into it on my front steps a few years ago and it was difficult to get the sand to lay out evenly with either a brush or a roller. Maybe there are some "non slip" clear finishes out there, but I don't know as I have never had to look for them. Maybe try a google search.

As for sanding, 150 grit on the solid wood, 180 on the ply will give you a good base for the finish.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a suitable, "not so slippery" product.
    Paul

Comment

Paul question for you? Do you think a clear coat sprayed on and then rolled over with a used paint roller might work? i've wondered this for years. Never tried it.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Yeah kind of a stupid question now that I think of it to ask woodworkers that are striving for the smooth as glass finish...lol
        Hmmm maybe a brush on finish and Rusty's idea of a roller on the top while it's still a bit tacky....if it doesn't work I can let it dry and sand it down....or try in on some scraps first perhaps.haha
        I have some time tomorrow I'll go to a proper paint store and ask them for ideas.
        Thanks, Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          Do you think a clear coat sprayed on and then rolled over with a used paint roller might work? i've wondered this for years. Never tried it.
          Rusty I haven't tried it either, but it might, although I think the timing would have to be perfect. I think if one rolled too early the finish will be too bumpy, roll too late and it either won't work or the roller will pull the finish away from the substrate.
          Maybe lightly dry brushing the almost dry finish would work too. I've done that with glaze to get a textured look, but then have sprayed a smooth clearcoat on top because that's what the customer wanted and what conventional finishing demands.

Originally posted by gnlman View Post
          kind of a stupid question now that I think of it to ask woodworkers that are striving for the smooth as glass finish...lol
          Not really Greg: there's an old saying "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask". If you think about it, if people didn't look for solutions to overcome a problem, or achieve a desired result, then most of the "advances" we have made over the centuries might not have happened. Also a lot of these "advances" have been made as a result of mistakes in an established process.
          A forum such as this attracts folks with a very wide spectrum of experiences and you never know what some of them may have come across, either by design or by accident, although getting some to publicly admit to imperfection may be a challenge LOL
          Try some samples and see what happens. Maybe some strips of tape under a very light, final coat of finish might have the effect you are looking for by giving very slightly raised lines across the board which would slow down the sliding bean bags. Place them strategically and you could have a winning design. I refinished a shuffleboard top once and had to incorporate lines across the board, but it also had to be glass smooth so there was plenty of scuff sanding to get a seamless effect.

Paul

Comment

Yes…..everyone here is trying for glass smooth finishes…..so good luck with that question!
            Roft Rofl....however it is a good question.!

What you basically want is called "an anti-slip finish"….. but a very very light one.

Here's what you do….
            Use a water-based clear coat and get a coat or two on.
            Go buy some Shark Grip (google it, Sherwin Williams sells it, others too maybe).
            It is very fine (= small = not all that rough) and mixes in with the paint so it distributes nicely.

and I quote:
            >Stirs in easily to most any coating and has little effect on the viscosity of the coating.
            It has low density which allows it to stay well suspended even in thin-bodied materials such as stain.
            Shark Grip is spherically shaped making it less abrasive.

Do a test piece ( Should also have a couple of coats of the clear on it)
            Put about one quarter the amount they recommend in the paint and and try that.
            It will probably be too rough but hang on Grasshopper we are not done yet!
            This is a process!
            Lightly sand half your sample with say 150 grit ( after it is cured of hard eh) then put on another coat of plain clear.
            At the same time put another coat of clear over the part you did not sand.

Let it dry and see what you think…. Are we heading in the right direction? Do you need another coat? Or another?
            Should you have put more Shark grip in the first coat? (You will be able to figure this out at this stage).

You will get the result you need .....just fiddle around a bit.

You will like shark grip…. its pretty clever stuff.

Good luck.
            Julian

Comment

Julian to the rescue again!
              Sure beats trying to spread sand or finishing over tape strips lol
              Thanks
              Paul

Comment

Thanks everyone...Yes I know there are no stupid questions...just making fun of myself...haha
                Yeesh, never thought of shark bite...I use it with my sealer for our stamped concrete...it works great....never thought about putting it in a clear coat for wood..I'll give it a try on some test samples...I bet it works great.
                Thanks again everyone.
                Greg

Comment

What about hardwood floor finish? The WB stuff I used on my stairs isn't that slippery.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bona-Floor-Fin...46359292&psc=1
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

They have an anti-slip version:

https://www.bona.com/en-US/Bona-Prof...fic-Anti-Slip/

Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Thanks Randy, great idea as well. I don't have a sprayer anymore (it died) but never got great results with it so thinking rattlecan, or foam brush. I'll look into the hardwood finish you mentioned though as sounds like a great solution as well.
                      Although, not sure anything in a spray can will be compatible with the acylic latex paint as mentioned earlier.....
                      Greg
                      Last edited by gnlman; 08-23-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I made one a few years ago and used 3 coats of Automotive Clear coat as the top coat sanded between coats . The decal was made up at a sign shop in town . The black stripes on the edges and center hole where applied after the first coat of clear .

Comment

Would rougher cloth on the bean bag work? LOL
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by montyss View Post
                            The black stripes on the edges and center hole where applied after the first coat of clear .
                            What type of tape did you use for the stripes?
                            I tried a similar effect many years ago but had to do a lot of scuffing to get the edges smooth. I guess the decorative tape I was given was too thick?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post

What type of tape did you use for the stripes?
                              I tried a similar effect many years ago but had to do a lot of scuffing to get the edges smooth. I guess the decorative tape I was given was too thick?

Paul
                              Paul … I used Automotive Base Coat for the stripes , it was PPG Envirobase a water based product . When doing two tones or stripes there is almost no edge on it so after the clear coat there is just a very little line to smooth out between coats of clear finish .

Comment

Working...
                              X